Anyone Ever Got Into Trouble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixa

Barking Hound Brewery
Reaction score
Just a question only. please don't read more into it than that.
If you were caught with brewery kegs (ie acquired not legally), what would happen?
Has this ever happened?
Cheers.

I suppose it would have a similar result if you stole something else. At the end of the day, the police or Lion Nathan etc aren't going to care what you're using it for, all that will matter to them is that it was stolen.

I would think theft is theft in there eyes.

Presumably the same as would happen to you if you were caught in possession of a milk crate. :unsure:

I fear impending doom regarding kegs and their use in HBing on this site. Soon enough there is going to be enough kegs disappearing and being used for this purpose that it's going to be worthwhile pursuing and prosecuting people-at least for the purposes of scaring the crap out of people and putting enough deterant to discourage others. This day is coming.

If your starting out building a fresh new brewery really do yourself a favour and buy some aluminium pots (or if you want to splash by SS ones) and never have the worry. Trust me, in what you spend on brewing and building your brewery a total of $300 for 3X aluminium pots is cheap and well worth it. Of course you don't need to buy three, but you get my point.

I'm not condoning their use...but, the fact is, brewers who use cut-down kegs may have just one or two each. I can't imagine a brewery would chase down individual cases - it's simply not worth their while.

It's not an issue that will make Today Tonight (like getting caught downloading music or pirating software), so their ability to "make an example of someone" will get little mainstream attention.

I think kegs must disappear in quite small numbers, not significant enough to launch a brewery-led investigation...

My $0.02 for what it's worth...

I don't think it will make today tonight either but I'm just concerned that on this site you probably have in excess of 200 kegs being put to use, a number which will only continue to grow as others follow suit. I'm just thinking that breweries may try to make an example of someone so that word of mouth spreads through these forums to discourage rather than actively pursuing each and every person.

Yeah, I don't doubt that there are a lot of missing kegs out there in backyards etc and we may only be a small number of those, but in those instances they aren't posted on the net for all to see and actually encouraging others to do the same. I'm not trying to take the moral high ground here, I just think it won't be long before something happens that's all.

I'm still for encouraging people on this forum, particularly new comers to buy pots for their brewing. I think it would be good to see a shift on this forum that whole heartedly supports the use of legal pots. I know there was some discussion a while back that tried to discourage pics etc, but maybe there should be a tighter restriction placed on it.

I don't know, just thinking aloud.

I agree on the pots Justin. I'm still setting up my brewery and it is mighty tempting to grab a keg and do it all on the cheap.

I don't have a problem with Alum, so will settle for a 50ltr pot for (hopefully) less than $100. But with SS pots coming in at around $300+ for the same thing, I can understand the keg use!

You might be right about warnings spreading throughout forums. I guess it would take just one prosecution and I would rethink the whole idea.

American brewers have the most amazing access to brand new Sabco kegs at reasonable prices, it's a pity we don't... Although, I believe Grain and Grape sell SS kegs (brand new from Germany) for just over $100...

EDIT: I just rang Grain and Grape - their 50 litre kegs (SS, brand new with CUB fittings) are $130.

For your info Bugwan the brewerys do chase down and prosecute individual units.I know for a fact it happens in South Australia so one could assume it will happen in other states.So discretion is best adhered to if you stumble across kegs.
$130 from grain and grape sounds reasonable to me to stay legit.

Cheers
Big D

Also add this to the equation. 50 Litres has it's limitations over time. I picked myself up an 80 litre aluminium pot for $140 and never looked back. The extra capacity is great.

Don't ever let anybody tell you aluminium is useless. It will last long enough to pay itself off. :)

Warren -

i'm looking at a 100L ally pot atm
at least my blunt drills will work on it :)

And they look imposing too. :super:

Warren -

DSC00573.jpg

Justin, do you have any pictures of your setup with the ally pots?

rook

LOL! :p :lol: Of course I do. Not.

I never said I that "I" took the moral high ground. But honestly, if I was to do it again I would certainly use the pots, and I may even change anyway. I was wasn't prepared to make the outlay at the start but in hind sight I'd happily blow $300 for a couple of pots (or those $130 G&G kegs) because I've spent way more than that on other less critical bits and pieces anyway. They are a good investment, so I'm just passing on my wonderful hindsight and trying to encourage others to think about doing the same.

Do a search on here for some pics of my system. They may not be there much longer if I can find all of them again.

Also add this to the equation. 50 Litres has it's limitations over time. I picked myself up an 80 litre aluminium pot for $140 and never looked back. The extra capacity is great.

Don't ever let anybody tell you aluminium is useless. It will last long enough to pay itself off. :)

Warren -

I will be running 23 litre batches for a while yet...is 80 litres too big? I mean, evaporation rates will be higher with a greater surface area surely?

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

I will be running 23 litre batches for a while yet...

:lol: Told myself the very same thing... Once you get into kegging that theory goes out the window. :blink:

Yes, the evap rate is slightly higher. Just top up your pre-boil accordingly.

Warren -

Ive seen the alum pots at a chinese importer in Highett the other day. Definitely laid eyes on the 50L pot, sitting proudly on top of another couple of increasing sizes, so at a glance I'd guess they stock up to the 70L, all under $100.

Ive also got a keg sitting at home from a defunct brewery, where am I supposed to return it to?

Latest posts

Back