Anyone Ever Got Into Trouble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that we should encourage new brewers to buy pots. A new pot will be easier to convert, no need for a brewhouse chop shop, just drill a hole for the tap. They are more efficient to use as keg is a big heatsink. Plus the flat base is great for getting a nice cone of hop debris after whirlpooling.

Best of all they are legit.

As homebrewers we should stop being complete tight arses. Over the life of a good quality pot, it will be bugger all. Just think how much you spent on beer before you were a HBer and accept that in comparison it's not a big cost.

Maybe there should be a stronger policy on posting pics of illegal kegs. We discourage discussing distilling on AHB for similar reasons.

Cheers
MAH

I will be running 23 litre batches for a while yet...

:lol: Told myself the very same thing... Once you get into kegging that theory goes out the window. :blink:

Yes, the evap rate is slightly higher. Just top up your pre-boil accordingly.

Warren -
Excellent! Just the responses I was looking for! 80 Litres it is...

DrewCarey82 thinks.....

"I hate moral crusaders"

Goes back to pushing papers.

If you were offered a full AG setup for $65 that included a keg as a kettle and you were hanging to give all grain a go what would you do? I went for it.... :D

Yep i totally agree with you MAH.Down the track i want to get rid of my old redundant 80 litre kegs(galv outer skinned buggers)and buy some nice large pots.

Cheers
Big D

I know that the local CUB rep was driving around checking out stolen kegs that some people had turned into letter boxes. I believe they were find $5000 which defianately makes it cheaper to buy pots - even expensive ones.

Sa Brewers go to Woddroffe Equpment on cavan rd gepps cross for ali pots or ss pots a 60 litre ali pot will cost around 100 bucks with colid rivets as i have got a few pots from them

I don't see how you could be fined more than the value of the keg. and I don't see how CUB has the power to issue fines. it's petty theft which would most likely only warrant a small fine or probation period. if that.

I think Today Tonight will do ANY story - LOL!

The other factor with kegs is that you have to do a lot of work to get them suitable for brewing. If I was able to buy a keg, I'd be tempted to use it as simply that - a keg. But, that's very expensive too.

Last price exploration I did showed the 70 litre ally pots at around $90 (possible cheaper) with Kenscomm* being the cheapest supplier at present. A few of us are trying out all-grain with one pot and a nylon bag ($15) and have already produced some beautiful beer. I think that doing this is a great way to get going with all-grain quickly and sensibly. Some guy even wrote a guide on it BIAB Guide ;)

I think doing a few good all-grains first with a little equipment will serve you well. (I did the opposite.)...

a) You can start with bugger-all financial outlay.
B) You can fill your fridge with a few quality beers immediately.
c) You gain all-grain experience at a rate you can control.
d) You can then make informed decisons on your equipment needs while drinking all-grain beer from your fridge!

Kegs are not much good with a nylon bag, too many sharp edges, and modifying cheap equipment can end up costing you heaps.

One other thing, as you mentuioned, is that you will get higher evaporation rates from a pot than a keg. I don't have the expertise to tell you whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. I suspect that a higher evaporation rate may even have some positive aspects. Only negative side that I'm aware of is you might use 50 cents extra gas per brew (if any).

Cheers
PP

*Search on Kenscomm and you should find the threads with prices.

Presumably the same as would happen to you if you were caught in possession of a milk crate. :unsure:

Oh!, the beloved milk crates!

To the editor,
The use of milk crates for purposes other than the storage and or distribution of milk products is a criminal offence.
The article you have put in your editorial is of great concern to my organisation and will be followed up prior to and at this year's event.
The loss and illegal use of the milk crates costs all milk users (and) I trust you are not meaning to advise your readers to steal milk crates and on-sell them therefore costing all milk users an additional cost in the item so many parents must purchase for their children .
I hope I have misinterpreted your article and will see you revisit this important issue in your next issue and advise your readers of the real costs to all milk users if the practice of stealing milk crates continues and that you did not mean to in any way tell them to steal milk crates.

Craig Waters
Crate Recovery Program
February 10

Bugger.

How about you do a guinea pig AHB road test Coodgee and tell them you have a few stolen kegs and see what happens hey.Bet you the cost to you is a bit more than a small fine or probation period.
I await the results of your test. :p

Cheers
Big D

I think kegs must disappear in quite small numbers, not significant enough to launch a brewery-led investigation...

When they are always left outside an establishment overnight there is always going to be shrinkage and not just from Home Brewers. General drunk louts would target a couple a weekend I'd say, as well as other people who just like lifting stuff.

I'm sure the breweries factor lost kegs into their price anyway, just like supermarkets factor shoplifting into theirs.

CUB have a couple of guys that wander around trying to find who is using their kegs. From what I have been told they occasionally go to micro's (only 1 positive sighting) & scrap yards.
I remember hearing a scrapyard in Newcastle got in deep poop about 8 years ago.
Cheers
Gerard

Often see Kegs at recyclers......$10.00-$20.00
But i am not interested in a keg.....
PJ
But i have heard they are not allowed to sell them.....

CUB have a couple of guys that wander around trying to find who is using their kegs. From what I have been told they occasionally go to micro's (only 1 positive sighting) & scrap yards.
I remember hearing a scrapyard in Newcastle got in deep poop about 8 years ago.
Cheers
Gerard

Where do you stand if you have a receipt from the scrapyard?

AUSDB....
Ross Could probably answer that question...?????

I would get a receipt if i bought a keg...a receipt is mandatory for everything sold..whatever it is...

PJ

Latest posts

Back