• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Anybody in AU selling those mini oxygen regulators for disposable tank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
Sorry, I can't remember the exact level now, it was years ago. A search might bring the topic up, it was all detailed here at the time.
Yes, the finer the bubble the better the absorption.

Cheers Ross

edit: I'm pretty sure it was 13ppm. Screwtop may be able to confirm if he reads this.

Have a look here:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/20183-no-wort-aeration-pitching-dry-yeast-theory/?p=281312

and Here:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/20183-no-wort-aeration-pitching-dry-yeast-theory/?p=281382

Screwy

I believe with good brewing practices you don't need to have one of these. I'd rather spend my money on something else brew related.

Really do you have a problem getting your yeast started? Your yeast is waiting for your wort.

Batz

imagesCA9I7N8O.jpg

Batz said:
I believe with good brewing practices you don't need to have one of these. I'd rather spend my money on something else brew related.

Really do you have a problem getting your yeast started?

Batz
I reckon it would be handy if:
1. You cubed a brew for later fermenting
2. You ferment in the same cube
3. You don't want to do your back in, or your arms, or waste 10 minutes, shaking the thing and trying to aerate it.

I did a brew like this recently, with a good pitch rate, and I suspect the fermentation would have been better (faster, lower FG) if I'd oxygenated.

The thread on these disposable O2 tanks, are they the same as a 16gm CO2 bulb?

I have an idea, but if it's stupid, I won't bother sharing it.

brad81 said:

Nope more like a 1.25L soft drink bottle (almost).

brad81 said:

Ummm, not sure if the handedness of the thread will be the same. I'm a lefty, so can't discern between what is left and what is wrong-handedness without it sitting in front of me. If I remember correctly, when attempting to screw the regulator onto my bottle, it felt like I was doing it the wrong way.

Secondly, those CO2 bulb adapters tend to be all-off to all-on, without anything in between. What you want to do it "regulate" the flow into your wort, hence a regulator.

Cheers all, thanks for checking for me.

The idea was to burst it in over the course of about 15-30secs using one of those keg chargers. But I believe you are right about the thread being opposite Warmbeer.

Yep they have a left handed thread on them.

So with the Reg in one hand and the bottle in the other hand and below the reg, bottle closest to you, spin the bottle counter clockwise.

You will see arrows at the top of the bottle to show you this.

Be careful that the reg and bottle are plumb so you don't cross the threads and apply pressure when threading on. If the bottle pressure is making this difficult for you to thread on you can open the reg a little to help you. Just don't do it if you don't have. Or be quick so you don't waste too much O2.

cheers

Ciaron

So ~4 months after I first started this thread, finally brewed up a batch (~1.060 all-grain) and injected ~30 seconds of pure O2 through a 0.5 micron stainless stone (my normal method is the old "splash and shake"). Pitched a pack of rehydrated US-05.

Holy shit, the thing went mental. With US-05 I've never got more than maybe a centimetre or two of krausen, always a very restrained fermentation. Checked on this pure O2 batch and krausen has filled the entire headspace of my 20L Willow fermenter (about 3 inches of space) and the cling wrap I use to cover the opening has inflated like a friggin balloon about the size of a tennis ball! It's been 3 days since then and the krausen is still high and spry, I was afraid I'd have to install a blow-off tube but it seems to be content to just live in the headspace for the moment. :blink:

If this result is any indication it's obvious my previous "shaking" method was woefully inadequate. I'm actually shocked at the dramatic difference, I knew it would make some difference, and it was certainly much easier than shaking 20kg of wort for extended periods of time, but I wasn't expecting this sort of krausplosion!

TL;DR Have a blow-off tube handy if you're trying pure O2 for the first time. :eek:

I had similar results to slash except for when I did it with coopers yeast which Im putting down to the first cultured generation. With another yeast it was licking the lid for about three days. Still conditioning and eagerly awaiting to taste the results.

Killing some time listening to Jamils show and he recommends measuring flow of O2 to ensure consistency.

Are any users using or retailers retailing a flowmeter, maybe like these ?

Would seem fairly cost effective, any comments or recommendations?

Recommended rate is 1 litre per minute. Never thought about using a flowmeter to be honest, I put the airstone in a glass filled with sanitiser, then turn the tap until I can see it's bubbling nicely. Dunno what the flow rate is.

I'll throw this link in to the same unanswered question in another thread involving another retailer marketing a different system.

More gadgets and potential for leaks running a flow meter I know, but I would like to have a better measure short of buying a DO meter.

potof4x said:
Killing some time listening to Jamils show and he recommends measuring flow of O2 to ensure consistency.

Are any users using or retailers retailing a flowmeter, maybe like these ?

Would seem fairly cost effective, any comments or recommendations?
I bought the one at the top of the linked page (3L). Works fine. 1L/min seems a bit much though - too many bubbles breaking the surface. I've been doing 1/2 L/min.
I guess once you know what to look for, you could do away with it. I just wanted a benchmark to start from - consistency = repeatability

Latest posts

Back