• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Anybody in AU selling those mini oxygen regulators for disposable tank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
P.S. This is why retailers are not supposed to post their wares to non retail threads, as they have the potential to esculate into silly retail wars :)
They aren't? Is that a site rule? (Seriously asking, not trying to stir things up). Personally I'd prefer is someone asked the question (as asked in the post title) that retailers chimed in with 'I have it for $X'. Definitely not forcing people to buy it, just supplying information about where it can be sourced. Be far better than retailers not piping up because it might start some sort of retail war.

Why don't y'all warriors do a retail post togethe?. I know my first port of call is my LHBS and then next nearest so I'm sure there're plenty of folks to order from both of you. Better you guys than the hardware barns!

Ross said:
retail wars :)

Cheers Ross
"Retail war" sounds like your onto the next idea for a Foxtel show.

This is a pretty specific thread and on the face of it you posted here with some sort of offer on the specific item brewers had asked where to find. So I can't see anything to escalate or I'm just not that way inclined.

Mind you if you going to the rules I can see your point and why your annoyed so point taken.

Good luck with the regs, great bit of kit.

Cheers

Ciro

Just a question about the bernzomatic cylinders, how far does a 40g cylinder go use wise? How many batches of standard size wort out of each cylinder? Pretty interested in buying a kit from connor brew ware and was pitching a batch mid week so might wait until ive sorted it all out.

MB manufacturer/USA distributor claims 10-15 standard size batches. Personally I haven't had the chance to use a complete cylinder yet. I've been splitting double batches down to two fermenters so I can do side by side yeast comparisons on the same wort. I've then been using about 50-60 seconds worth and had better attenuation and quicker start and end of fermentation from this limited dose.

I've been only had the pressure up enough to see bubbles when the stone is at the surface and then I drop to the bottom for the time.

I think users are just getting used to this oxy kit so results may be a few more brews away for everyone.

I'll drop a line in here when I know how long the bottle lasts.

Also a customer recently had trouble connecting the reg so I've posted a YouTube video showing how its done as per my previous tips. Simple once you see, it if not grasped straight away. Under the business name, not the best vid but the brewer was keen to get a batch done so I got up the first vid I made.

Cheers

Ciro

If used correctly the 40gm bottle should last for ages, many more times than the manufacturer claims. We ran measured trials with a dissolved oxygen meter as we couldn't get any proper answer form manufacturers etc. 30 secs through a 0.5 micron airstone, set so the bubbles did't break the surface, oxygenated 20L of wort to the perfect level. Over oxygenating can do more harm than good, so be careful.

Cheers Ross

Just to clarify something there Ross, what do you mean by "perfect level"? I mean, what sort of ppm is perfect there?

slash22000 said:
Just to clarify something there Ross, what do you mean by "perfect level"? I mean, what sort of ppm is perfect there?
My reading suggests 12-15ppm is optimal and 8ppm is the max achievable from shaking/air pump.

(yep, read the last few FAQs at WYeast - http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm)

Aye, that's correct, which is why I'm wondering exactly how many ppm Ross measured after 30 seconds. 8? 12? 15?

Isn't the 2 micron supposed to be better than the 0.5 micron for oxygenation?

No. The smaller the bubbles the better.

Unless you're talking about pumping air rather than pure O2, in which case a 2 micron stone is better because it doesn't have enough pressure for the 0.5 micron.

slash22000 said:
Aye, that's correct, which is why I'm wondering exactly how many ppm Ross measured after 30 seconds. 8? 12? 15?
Ah, sweet - I will also await his response!

Sorry, I can't remember the exact level now, it was years ago. A search might bring the topic up, it was all detailed here at the time.
Yes, the finer the bubble the better the absorption.

Cheers Ross

edit: I'm pretty sure it was 13ppm. Screwtop may be able to confirm if he reads this.

Ross said:
If used correctly the 40gm bottle should last for ages, many more times than the manufacturer claims. We ran measured trials with a dissolved oxygen meter as we couldn't get any proper answer form manufacturers etc. 30 secs through a 0.5 micron airstone, set so the bubbles did't break the surface, oxygenated 20L of wort to the perfect level. Over oxygenating can do more harm than good, so be careful.

Cheers Ross
When did you do these tests Ross?

Ross said:
CraftBrewer also stock the bottles & regulators (currently best price in Australia), we just haven't got on site yet.
Any updates on this Ross? When can we expect them online?

Oxygenation is next on my list

Hey guys,

I have one of these oxygenation kits (sourced from Connor breware.)

I tried it on a few brews and struggled to get small bubbles that don't reach the surface. I eventually tried it out in a jar of water and found that most of the oxygen is escaping (as large bubbles) between the stone and the screw thread (not between the thread and the swivel nut). I tried tightening it up, but it just rotates. Any ideas how I can fix this? I think I'm probably wasting quite a lot of oxygen!

Cheers,

Jon

Mine has the same issue. The problem is that the tolerance between the MFL thread on the sintered stone is slightly out with that on the FFL nut on the barbed end.

I've seen a couple of FFL attachments that have a small, plastic or teflon end that should help maintain a seal. Will report back after I dig one up and give it a try.

For now, just open 'er up until you're getting a consistent stream of bubbles coming out the sintered stone, and just run it for less time in your wort.

It's not blocked. If I open the valve right up, I get a stream of bubbles from the stone. I just get a whole lot more from the stone/thread junction. I haven't boiled it - it just gets a rinse in Starsan before and after use.

I wasn't able to remove the thread from the stone - should I be able to? When I tried to remove it, it just rotated without coming apart. If I could, I'd just put some plumbers tape on the thread.

jonw said:
I wasn't able to remove the thread from the stone - should I be able to? When I tried to remove it, it just rotated without coming apart. If I could, I'd just put some plumbers tape on the thread.
Thinking out loud here, but maybe you could wrap the tape around the thread (you wouldn't need much), then dump the whole assembly, tape and all, in Starsan? That way, anything that is going to come into contact with your wort has been in contact with Starsan.

Latest posts

Back