• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Anybody in AU selling those mini oxygen regulators for disposable tank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CONNOR BREWARE said:
I havent found that at all, you can walk into Masters and order 10 and get a trade discount of 10%.
That's the problem we encountered. No Masters stores in SA (well, Adelaide) and the Gasweld stores here can order them, but it was a 10 bottle minimum order. Bunnings was a similar story from the guy who tried recently.

Dollar for dollar the Bernz bottles/regs aren't as good. I own both a Bernz bottle & regulator (I did easily get 12 - 14 batches from the bottle) and the MHB style system which I greatly prefer for a number of reasons: larger O2 bottles, easier to sanitise, proper regulator, no dicking around with crap barbed fittings - JG all the way!

browndog said:
I'm pretty sure that statement is not correct, it just takes about 10 minutes rather than 1 minute.
I've seen different statements on this, but multiple references including the Yeast book have said that more than 8ppm of O2 couldn't be done without pure oxygen. The recommended is 8-10 ppm, so in theory it can be done but my experience using pure O2 is the same as Tony's. I immediately saw a difference in ferment performance, finishing gravity and overall character. Based on that my belief is that even though it's possible to get to the borderline recommended level by the traditional shaking and other methods, most people (including me) probably aren't even if they think they are.

WarmBeer said:
Are you anticipating any issues with posting these cylinders over to Vic, NSW, etc? If not, keen to order one.
No problem shipping at all. We use road transport and have been shipping around the country. We just can't use Australia post as they won't accept.

Happy to arrange bulk cylinders to O2 kit customers as well.

Cheers

Ciaron

Good Dr, I know you know that correlation is not causation. I'm not trying to be a tool or start I arguement I cannot win (due to my abundant lack of knowledge/experience) just interested if there is empirical evidence pointing toward, pure O2 = better beer.
My apologies - yes I have been drinking again - I am in a remote town, that's my excuse...........
cheers
BBB
Better? That is subjective but to my palate, yes. Cleaner? Definitely.

To my taste, beers like the golden ale that i have been brewing for years taste cleaner and IMO, better now that I am using pure O2. I find I am tasting more in the same beer and my thinking is that it is due to a cleaner ferment. Off flavours that may have been present at, or just below taste/aroma thresholds, are no longer there and the result is the flavours you want to be there coming more to the fore. More complex perhaps? Hops have more 'zing'. Aroma from flameout additions seem to be retained more post ferment

I would be interested to hear other brewers experiences with pure oxygen on recipes they know well.

CONNOR BREWARE said:
No problem shipping at all. We use road transport and have been shipping around the country. We just can't use Australia post as they won't accept.

Happy to arrange bulk cylinders to O2 kit customers as well.

Cheers

Ciaron
Can you road freight to Darwin? Seems like no road services actually come up here.

I'm waiting on one of Ciaron's oxygen kits.

Can anybody provide any advice as to how much oxygen to use? Lacking a means to measure dissolved oxygen, I'm going to have to go with a rule of thumb. Jamil often mentions 1L/min for one minute for (presumably) a 5 US gallon batch of ale.

How does that approximate to using one of these kits? I'm making 40L batches, so I'm really interested in how long to run the oxygen for either ale or lager, and at what sort of low rate - flat out, or just enough to see bubbles, or somewhere in between?

Cheers,

Jon

Without a flow meter, I'd be setting the regulator so you can just see bubbles coming to the surface and giving it a minute at that rate. Make sure you get the airstone down near the bottom of the fermenter to maximize the effectiveness of the flow.

Can you get some sort of (cheap) valve which fits these disposable canisters without having to use a regulator ?

Cheers

slash22000 said:
Can you road freight to Darwin? Seems like no road services actually come up here.
They do go up there but the rates are terrible. I've ried to secure cheaper freight before and had no luck. For instance 2 kegs that cost me $11 o ship to Tasmania would cost me $150 to ship to Darwin. I even put it out to tender and had no luck.

jonw said:
I'm waiting on one of Ciaron's oxygen kits.

Can anybody provide any advice as to how much oxygen to use? Lacking a means to measure dissolved oxygen, I'm going to have to go with a rule of thumb. Jamil often mentions 1L/min for one minute for (presumably) a 5 US gallon batch of ale.

How does that approximate to using one of these kits? I'm making 40L batches, so I'm really interested in how long to run the oxygen for either ale or lager, and at what sort of low rate - flat out, or just enough to see bubbles, or somewhere in between?

Cheers,

Jon
There will be a little bonus gift in your delivery as well Jon as I
appreciate your wait time is too long. My supplier also ran out of
stock. I'd suggest there is some trial and error to be had in
using
these units. The BNA podcasts cover some info, a lot from Jamil, and I
also tend to agree with using small amounts till you gauge the effects
on your own system. You will start to see what works for you based on
batch size and beer style and can judge from there. I sell kegs to
retailers and recently tried one of there BOP beers oxygenated and one
not oxygenated and the difference was remarkable.

You can order them online, but they won't ship them to you. Not to my post code, anyway.

jonw said:
You can order them online, but they won't ship them to you. Not to my post code, anyway.
This is a shared/common problem.

Lecterfan said:
This is a shared/common problem.
Updating my last responce to say we now stock the cylinders for $30 each or 4 for $25 and will ship to most corners of this fine country so that should fix any problems brwers are having with masters outlets.

cheers

CraftBrewer also stock the bottles & regulators (currently best price in Australia), we just haven't got on site yet. Contact us direct for details...

P.S. This is why retailers are not supposed to post their wares to non retail threads, as they have the potential to esculate into silly retail wars :)

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
CraftBrewer also stock the bottles & regulators (currently best price in Australia), we just haven't got on site yet. Contact us direct for details...

P.S. This is why retailers are not supposed to post their wares to non retail threads, as they have the potential to esculate into silly retail wars :)

Cheers Ross
Given the title of the thread/first post, I don't see anything wrong/cheeky etc about letting us know you are supplying the same items, Ross. I am sure most of the retailers here are capable of keeping it civil. How long until your new website is done and eparcel up and running etc?

I'm fairly keen to switch to o2 aeration as I no chill and forget to aerate waaaaaay too often. I have no personal experience comparing regular aeration methods against o2, but I can definitely attest to the fact that my beers taste worse if I either forget to aerate on the day I pitch or remember at the last minute and can't really do a good job of it once its already in the fermenter etc. Lagers, particularly pale ones, are really noticeably flawed if I under-aerate compared to the same recipe when I do it properly.

Ross said:

Cheers Ross
Takes two to make a war.

Back