Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got lucky.....the venison is now hanging in the cool room.
I hope this photograph does not offend too many people.
The Fallow Deer on this property are feral and the owner wants rid of them. For him they are a pest. But let me tell you, getting close enough to shoot one is a mission in itself. This young doe should prove to be excellent venison.
What style of beer goes with venison??
View attachment 9544

Regards,
Lindsay.

Hi Lindsay,

On a golf course in the US (Alabama) I used to work on we had alot of deer through the place and they were a real pest. Some of the 'yocals told me one day that you had to gut the deer quickly as (I think) it was either the urine or something in the blood that can contaminate the flesh quickly. Sort of like bleeding a trevally after catching. Was something like this right?

We ended up not culling ourselves after we found one the size of in your picture in the middle of the 7th fairway one Saturday morning. Half way down was gone, only the chest, front legs and head was left, apart from the pool of blood on the turf which happened to be in front of the owners house. Natural selection took care of the problem.

Cheers.

I have not heard anything about why have to gut animals quickly, however, the animal seen here was skinned and gutted within 1/2 - 3/4 hour of shooting. Parts of it (hind legs) were still warm when we put it in a cool room.
We bled the deer immediately after beeing shot and it was quite obvious to us that the bleeding process was complete and to our favour.
It needs to be hung for a week so as soon and the better half and myself return from the NSW Homebrew Comp. this weekend we shall start devouring.
Regards,
Lindsay.

I'm impressed with the diverse range of hobbies and interests in this post. Pretty awesome really. I'll have my two-bobs worth.

Only recently started brewing so its a new hobby for me. I'm also a guitarist, prefer electric's over acoustic and have played in a couple of high school bands as a youngster. Unfortunatley work and all does not leave the time for much guitar.

Also, over a year ago i took up Muay Thai, it's a ringsport from thailand which dates back to the 1800's. Two men jump in a ring and technically "flog the crap" out of each other with fists, kicks, knee's and elbows to the rythm of thai music. Sounds brutal but i'm only in it for the technique and fitness. You'd be surprised how much sweat you can lose in such a short time. I regularily go to amatuer and professional events in sydney and always support the boys from my gym whenever they fight. I suppose you could call it a hobby. I recently spent 5 weeks training at a thai camp in southern thailand to get better at the sport. It was a lifetime experience to say the least and i'll be going back there for sure.

I've been wieghtlifting for the past 5 months, Olympic "competition" type stuff. Christ it's a good sport, I absolutely love it, hurts like hell but an awsome feeling when you lift a weight you never thought possible above your head. Got my first comp in December..... shitting myself

I drink lots of beer. Oh shit, thats not a sideline here...

Ride Motosickles, and bring up my two boys...

I'm impressed with the diverse range of hobbies and interests in this post. Pretty awesome really. I'll have my two-bobs worth.

Only recently started brewing so its a new hobby for me. I'm also a guitarist, prefer electric's over acoustic and have played in a couple of high school bands as a youngster. Unfortunatley work and all does not leave the time for much guitar.

Also, over a year ago i took up Muay Thai, it's a ringsport from thailand which dates back to the 1800's. Two men jump in a ring and technically "flog the crap" out of each other with fists, kicks, knee's and elbows to the rythm of thai music. Sounds brutal but i'm only in it for the technique and fitness. You'd be surprised how much sweat you can lose in such a short time. I regularily go to amatuer and professional events in sydney and always support the boys from my gym whenever they fight. I suppose you could call it a hobby. I recently spent 5 weeks training at a thai camp in southern thailand to get better at the sport. It was a lifetime experience to say the least and i'll be going back there for sure.

I was fortunate enought to fluke it into the Lumpini stadium in Bangkok for the 2005 National title night. What a night of blood, sweat and Beers (50 Baht for a Chang Beer made for a messy night ;) )

I would be keen to go back and have a look at the new staduim, but the old one certainly had character!

As for my interests, Cricket (Indoor, Outdoor, Masters, Playing, Watching, Scoring, Umpiring) gets me through the long hot summers.

I also dabble in a little model railway modelling. Predominately N scale, but thanks to FingerlickinB, I have started some HO scale for my 5 year old son (He can re-rail HO by himself. N scale is a bit too hit and miss)

Other than tham my children and grandchild keep me on the hop. (And I wuldnt change it for the world) :D

Festa

Just asking as this thread is buried deep in the archives Are there any active Deer hunters amongst us?

Since I've improved my fitness and lost weight I'm thinking of getting back into Beaver hunting again.

outside of beer i enjoy fishing even though im no good at it and have several community aquariums and have just delved into the world of aquaponics.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Sex...or is that an occupation..... :ph34r:
For me it's an ambition.

When motivated I like to do bonsai, but they have suffered over the last few years since starting AG.

Apart from Australian Indian Restaurant cooking, I like to paint Cezanne knockoffs.

20130104_071526.jpg

Writing music, guitar, drums, piano etc.
Recording music (audio engineering) been trying to get some extra cash actually!
Restoration - anything, I'm currently working on this beauty from 1882!

image.jpg

And a pic if me at the helm in one of the studio sessions with one if the bands!

image.jpg

One hobby, cycle touring is getting the better of me lately. Being thinking/planning a ride along the BAM railway maintenance road in siberia. It's about 4000km of (here's a link about a trio of motorcyclists attempting it http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533442 ).

I'm thinking about putting off more of university and other hobbies to ride the road. I'd be pretty chuffed to end up being the first person on a pushbike to have finished it, and one of less than 10 people to do the whole route on any vehicle since the collapse of the soviet union. On the other hadn there is a reason so few people travel the road (actually more like a firetrail with collapsed bridges and lots of mud)

I think I am a problematic optimist, though failing something drastically might bring me back down to earth

Beekeeping, gardening, fishing, wake boarding. Not always in that order mind you. Always have a little project on the go, not happy sitting still unless it is part of the hobby!

Use to do a shit load of this:

DSC_1512.jpg

Since producing children, not so much. Sometimes I sit on the KTM late at night and weep quietly..

Drumming - Alesis DM 10 with a 13" powered speaker. (My, aren't we over represented)
Reading whilst sitting on the toilet.
4wd ing.
Ejaculation.
Contrarianism.
[SIZE=medium]Anti-theism.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Pushing my bench press past 105kg.[/SIZE]
Operating yard equipment slightly inebriated.Initially.
Training my 2 year old how to use the blower-vac as a makeshift jet pack on his trike.

Bribie G said:
Apart from Australian Indian Restaurant cooking, I like to paint Cezanne knockoffs.
Wow you can even see the texture...
...of the canvas
:D

Latest posts

Back