Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash in Perth

Barrow Boys Brewing
Reaction score
I know every one on here is primarily a beer nut but does any one have any other interesting hobbies?

When im not at uni or brewing im looking after all my pets. I have fish, frogs, a lizard, dogs, a tarantula and a one-eyed eel (not a joke). My house can be like a zoo sometimes.

I also partcipate in clay target shooting (Field and Game style) and help on with a mates race car for gravel and tarmac rallies.
Thinking about Model Aricraft flying at the moment...but no sure if I have the time or the dollars :D
Gotta keep life interesting.

I'm a Glider pilot, which is a great distraction from everyday life.

I have a rule though - fly first, drink later :p

Trev

I've got an '64 mini panel van I'm restoring.

http://zizzle.blogspot.com

Should like a bit like these when finished:

MINIVAN122.jpg

van1.jpg

hey zizzle,does mr bean know that you have his shaggin wagon. :p ..spog...

OK...

I brew beer as we all know..

My Hobbies are:
- Selling Kegging Gear to help out fellow homebrewers
- Starting/running the BBC: Barossa Brewers Club
- Organising AHB FundRaisers
- Wood Turning - happy to turn handles for all the taps that are out there.
- Caravanning when i get the time.
- Used to have a Hotted up MINI - but no time now.

~Other Stuff as SWMBO dictates :)

I've been surfing for around 6 months or so. Bloody addictive, even though im not great at it!. it's slowly getting rid of my modest beer gut too, so that's even better!.

Hmm... well, I like music, playing the guitar and the like. I haven't had the time or motivation recently to play, and when I do I'm either not home or it's 1am.

Motorcycles and will have to get back into gardening and chooks when i move to my acreage.Dabbled in hydroponics ;) for sometime other than that a bit of camping and 4wd.Gave up beach swimming due to crocs and stingers so hope to do a bit more of that later in the year.Oh and love cooking things that go well with beer.

Is drinking beer considered another hobby outside brewing? :p

Playing the fiddle is my other main hobby.

Boozed, broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Pyrotechnics,
Music (playing/making, radio blows),
Electronics (anything fun),
Cars (modification and driving),
Firearms (anything legal ;) ),
Getting the sh*ts with my old PC and taking to it with a pick-axe :super:

PZ.

*EDIT* - I like that blue Mini best :)

Some pretty interesting hobbies here. Most of them dont go too well wiith beer thou (driving, shooting, flying, etc)

Pyrotechnics,
Making your own or just playing with them? I used to make my own flash powder, thermite and 'napalm' when i was in first year uni. Had a few lucky escapes.

I dirtsurf occasionally aswell, barely get the tim any more :(
http://home.iprimus.com.au/spingold/index.html

Re-starting control-line aeromodelling at present. When I was at school it was my obsession, but uni, career, marriage, children have dictated a more "stay at home" hobby.

Recently the bug has started to bite again, and I discovered that my mate Adrian who I brew with also used to be into modelling and still has an Enya .15 and a Taipan 2.5 diesel.

A quick look around under the house, and all but a couple of my engines have been dug out and cleaned up. My first plane in 20 years will be started shortly as soon as some gear I've ordered starts. It will be a "Flite Streak" trainer for my PAW 19DS - English made 3.2cc diesel engine. The Flite Streak is an easy to fly trainer which is capable of the full stunt pattern, and should be a good re-entry to the hobby as I haven't flown anything bigger than a poxy little .049 model for close on 20 years.

The ultimate goal is to get back into control line aerobatics, preferably flying classic designs from the '50s and '60s. I will be building either a classic Thunderbird or a Nobler for my OS .35 engine, and a "Gieseke Bear" for my big 10cc Veco .61 (when I find it). The VECO is definitely not a candidate for hand starting, as it swings a 12 or 13 inch prop!

OS MAX-S .35
osm-1963-max-s35.jpg

PAW 19DS
PAW%203,2%20Diesel%20(19%20DS,%20Gerader%20Einlass)%20306.JPG

VECO 61
veco1.jpg

NOBLER
Foto%20Nobler.jpg

GIESEKE BEAR
bobbear.jpg

Guys,

reading the thread - it appears that several of us have similar interests.

Like Trev - I too fly full size gliders (bathurst) and Colin - I also have a pretty good slection of model aircraft - mainly gliders and electric aircraft - however not into the glow power stuff.

Cheers

MarkWS

While I like my glow engines, when it comes to power sources my true love is the diesels. Model compression ignition engines which run on a blend of castor oil, kero, ether and a little bit of isopropyl nitrate. The PAW 19DS in my original post is a classic example of a model diesel. The best thing about them is that they start without a battery!

I was a member of Darling Downs Soaring Club (Jondaryan, QLD, west of Toowoomba) for a couple of years, and had maybe 20 hours up in their K7 trainers. Haven't been back for 15 years 'though, and my wife is paranoid about me ever going back to flying (although I think you're more likely to die on the roads getting there!)

Flying sailplanes is a dream for "one day". For now, getting back into control line will scratch that itch.

I once built a radio controlled glider. It wasn't mine - I built it for a friend who wasn't confident enough in his own construction abilities.

Folks

A bunch of the usual ones -

photography (semi pro so not so much of a hobby any more)
gardening
renovating
cooking

Plus one I doubt many others here will share - Historical European Fencing (swinging swords around). Played my schollar's prize (bit like a black belt) in English Shortsword last year.

Cheers
Dave

OS MAX-S .35
osm-1963-max-s35.jpg

That pic brings back a few memories :wub: I flew pattern when I was a young teenager and even went in a few national comps, these days its combat slope soarers out the back of my parents house. Nearly every summers afternoon there is a stiff breeze and we can fly for hours.

Before brewing took over ;) I was right into building speakers, amplifiers, crossovers and nearly anything audio.... probably why I like brewing, I get to build toys :D

OS MAX-S .35
osm-1963-max-s35.jpg

That pic brings back a few memories :wub: I flew pattern when I was a young teenager and even went in a few national comps, these days its combat slope soarers out the back of my parents house. Nearly every summers afternoon there is a stiff breeze and we can fly for hours.

Before brewing took over ;) I was right into building speakers, amplifiers, crossovers and nearly anything audio.... probably why I like brewing, I get to build toys :D
As a teenager, I wasted many a weekend with my OS 35 powered Aurora and PAW 19DS powered Aeroflyte Spitfire. Lovely, easy to fly models, but still fully aerobatic. Even if the engine conked during the climbing leg of a wing-over or something you could generally get out of it and glide in to a decent landing. It eventually succumbed to oil seepage weakening the engine bearers. At least I didn't try to fly it in that state, unlike a friend of mine who had a 2.5cc diesel come off in flight and bury itself 6 inches in the dirt while the remains of his model slowly flapped down. Great days!

Its been a while since anyone took out an Australian nationals with an OS 35 or a Fox 35, although you can still get both engines! These days winning control line stunters are generally at least a .46 (7.5cc) size engine, if not a .60 (10cc), and I've heard of people flying even bigger engines. The line tension must rip their arm off.

For info on the current state of control-line pattern in Oz, go to:
http://www.dkd.net/clstunt/index.html

For the state of the art in control line engines, check out
http://www.bristunt.50megs.com/index.htm
go to Shop -> Engines, and look at the Stalker and Ro-Jett engines. A bit out of my price range ... I'll be sticking to my classic OS .35 and the Veco .61

cheers,
Colin

Back