Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading, cooking, baking bread, growing vegetables, growing fruit (apples, raspberries, brambles, prunes, cherries, grapes). The last two years I made wine from my own grapes. I am also designing a microprocessor to run on an FPGA, but that has currently taken a little bit a backseat because the projects in my job became somewhat complicated, so in the evening I am a little bit too tired to be busy with that. I do yoga, a little bit of powertraining and bike to work in spring and summer to keep a bit of condition. And I like to look around for new beers on trips. Since I am living in Belgium I can choose from Holland, Germany, France and our own little country of course.

I don't think you will find many home brewers who aren't into Low 'n' Slow (smokers, or American Barbecue,) or at least some other kind of cooking. Our "god" back in the '70s pointed out that brewing is a kind of cooking, so this is no surprise.

I also love electronics (these days that includes micro type stuff such as PICs, Pi, 8266 and ESP stuff,) growing chillies and herbs ( plus my hops seem to have taken.)

I think home brewers as a breed are into doing stuff - especially naturally.

Your post indeed contains some of the same reasons that started me.

Naturally: this started me growing my own tomatoes and basil. The reason was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin_affair, and at the same Antonio Carluccio's first program was broadcast on our national TV station.

Cooking: I cook already since I was 18, starting with breakfast, later in my military service. I also baked pastry then. Then living alone increased my range of cooking, and getting married too. So, indeed, a couple of years ago I reasoned, is brewing not a little bit like cooking? Although, after three years, one comes to the conclusion that the cooking part is still something different from real cooking. And I made parts of my brewing kit myself, which one doesn't do when cooking.

Unfortunately, I will not grow hops, we have a dog. I don't want to take the risk that he might someday get poisoned due to eating hops. Not impossible, he likes to play with and eat apples that have fallen of the trees.

Hunting, gardening, eating what I hunt and grow in my garden, photography, writing about the aforementioned activities. Pretty much sums me up

I love my BBQ's. The Acorn, charcoal kettle and Pro Q Bullet. This reminds me I feel like I'm about due to make more Jerky..
Aside from this I love music mostly sticking to rock, metal and a lot of the 90's grunge stuff, currently getting my 11 month old right into the Foo Fighters.
And cars, I've always been great at spending money on these. I love my Fords but I'm just a car guy in general.

Back