Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion if you don't want to eat meat that's fine. What I don't go for is that people that think because they don't like it that no one should (no fingers pointed here).

If there's one rule in nature that will never change it's that the price for life always has been and always will be death.
You don't have to eat animals to be a part of that cycle and closing your eyes to the fact doesnt separate you from it. The amount of animals that get killed to produce crops far exceeds the number you would eat yourself.

I mean shit, we produce malt grain on the old man's farm that can be turned into the grain we all make beer from and the amount of pest control that goes into that would knock ya socks off!

The way I look at it as that we've evolved eating meat, my family has hunted every generation they've been in aus. My relatives back in Ireland always have been and are still hunters to this day. You could argue that's 200,000 years of unbroken tradition and culture. Why should I stop now? The connection and respect hunters have for the animals they hunt should be something revered not criticised.

Anyway for what it's worth to me nothing much beats home brewed beer, home grown veggies and wild game meat [emoji106]

Just because a group of people has always done something, doesn't necessarily mean it should continue.

Cannibalism for example (some tribes). Okay extreme example, but nonetheless...

Everyone makes a conscious decision as to what they do and don't do. We have more choice today than ever before.

Something my wife and I enjoy anyway.
19-08-2012-55755-pm.jpg

In any culture anywhere in the world, it is very hard to stray from the idea of what has been successful, and that is eating meat. We think of a species that is prevalent in your area, but since domestication of a few types of animals, the field has been narrowed down to a few.

Say for instance you live on an island with two tribes and the only food is coconuts, being very bored with coconuts you decide the branch out and eat the other tribe, then you discover spit roast human with coconut, very tasty for someone that has only ever eaten coconuts.

My point is, the human diet is dictated by your surroundings & availability at the time. When a culture has 'plenty' & is able to choose their diet, people might decide to go vegan as a choice. But...but in a situation where that was not possible, they would eat meat or die.

Back in the 1840's the GGrandad built a horse drawn tramway (Zeal Tor) in Dartmoor to cart peat down to a charcoal/naptha works. Don't think they ate the horses then.

Charcoal/naptha factory is still there (or at least the old stone building, Shipley Bridge car park) - business went bust after a decade or so ... not an efficient way to make fuel. They turned the building into a clay-china works.

Yep. Horse is delicious. Dog isn’t bad either. In all likelihood I’ve eaten cat, but didn’t find out til years later so I can’t really say how it was.

We have abattoir's here which slaughter the Brumbies and are then exported to Europe for human consumption.
I believe they ate horse meat in the UK in the 1st World War, but prior to that when a horse or ponies working day's were over it was off to the Knackers yard where they were processed for pet meat, livestock feed, leather and glue.
I would bet there is still the odd human consumed in Borneo, when I was there there was an article in a newspaper where a guy was charged with cannibalism, his excuse was that he had died and he was his friend, so he wouldn't have minded, and he only one leg.
And up in the wilds of Derbyshire......
images

Pretty sure we still have a horse processing abattoir in SA don't we? Meat gets sent overseas though.

According to the Australian Horse Welfare & Rescue News Blog, there are two abattoirs in Australia that prepare horsemeat for human consumption, with a combined kill rate of about 8400 horses a year. The meat is exported to Italy and France and other countries in Europe, as well as throughout Asia. The Italians make sfilacci di cavallo, a cured horsemeat, the Dutch eat it smoked and the Japanese like to eat it raw – horse sashimi.

According to the Australian Horse Welfare & Rescue News Blog, there are two abattoirs in Australia that prepare horsemeat for human consumption, with a combined kill rate of about 8400 horses a year. The meat is exported to Italy and France and other countries in Europe, as well as throughout Asia. The Italians make sfilacci di cavallo, a cured horsemeat, the Dutch eat it smoked and the Japanese like to eat it raw – horse sashimi.
I generally steer clear of animal rights groups as their figures are either incomplete at best, or completely fabricated at worst. Ladt time i checked there was actually a group around against the extinction of kangaroos.

Still far be it from me to judge someone else on what they call food, be it a non meat diet or an animal that we don't generally view as food here. To a Hindu eating a cow is taboo or pig to a jew and I won't give them up.

I saw horse done in Japan on tv once and it looked pretty damned good! Plus one for the cooking shows (not the competition ones). I've learnt some good eats from the cooking channel.

Latest posts

Back