Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nizmoose luvs da boost. Suh doo doo doo doo.

I write a bit of music in my spare time (primarily prog rock) and recently started up forex trading.

I also enjoy sleeping, but don't consider myself to be very good at it.

Nizmoose said:
My other massive hobby is Japanese turbo imports but I have a funny feeling I'm amongst the wrong generation to find like minded souls here :p
Not at all.
Years ago I had a plan to by a Datto 1600 and fit it up with an FJ20 after watching a very modest looking one smoke virtually all comers at a street drag day at the old Eastern Creek strip.
At the time there was a mob who did drive in, drive out conversions. Set you back around the two grand mark. A turn key reliable 13 (and a bit) second car you could drive to work daily, no probs.

In my youthful wisdom however I decided to opt for a HZ Statesman and modify it with a giant Rochester mech secondary carb and unrealistically lumpy cam.
Ill handling, cranky and indifferent to starting.
Sold it eventually for much less than i paid as my modest plumbing apprentice wage was being battered by the constant repair and fuel bills.

If I had a mind to get stuck into a project today, I'd be hunting down the likes of a quad cam Lexus V8 complete with tranny and harness over some cast iron pushrod lump that was designed when you were still allowed to smoke on TV chat shows.

Camo6 said:
Nizmoose luvs da boost. Suh doo doo doo doo.
I love the boost, Tracy Grimshaw loves me.

Dave70 said:
Not at all.
Years ago I had a plan to by a Datto 1600 and fit it up with an FJ20 after watching a very modest looking one smoke virtually all comers at a street drag day at the old Eastern Creek strip.
At the time there was a mob who did drive in, drive out conversions. Set you back around the two grand mark. A turn key reliable 13 (and a bit) second car you could drive to work daily, no probs.

In my youthful wisdom however I decided to opt for a HZ Statesman and modify it with a giant Rochester mech secondary carb and unrealistically lumpy cam.
Ill handling, cranky and indifferent to starting.
Sold it eventually for much less than i paid as my modest plumbing apprentice wage was being battered by the constant repair and fuel bills.

If I had a mind to get stuck into a project today, I'd be hunting down the likes of a quad cam Lexus V8 complete with tranny and harness over some cast iron pushrod lump that was designed when you were still allowed to smoke on TV chat shows.
The datto would have been awesome, light as well. I own a 180sx and love the S-Chassis but it's a shame to see how most are treated.

The V8 Lexus especially the later models are one of the few V8's I'd love to own. The torque is ridiculous when you put your foot down from what I've read.

sponge said:
I write a bit of music in my spare time (primarily prog rock) and recently started up forex trading.

You trade xxxx for decent beer, right?

sponge said:

I would have thought Forex trading and poor sleeping habits would go together.

sponge said:
And still manage to lose money..
Yeah, I suppose when you would have to trade 17 cartons of xxxx for 1 carton of a decent craft brewed beer it would have to be financially draining............

My hobby is starting projects, which I'm particularly good at. It's not that I don't finish them, just it takes longer to than my missus thinks it should. Under strict instructions at present to not start any new ones...

seamad said:
My hobby is starting projects, which I'm particularly good at. It's not that I don't finish them, just it takes longer to than my missus thinks it should. Under strict instructions at present to not start any new ones...
Sounds like a project in itself.

Don't tell the Mrs.

Nizmoose said:
My other massive hobby is Japanese turbo imports but I have a funny feeling I'm amongst the wrong generation to find like minded souls here :p
I am another like minded soul. Currently own/modding a GF8 WRX myself.

repainted bonnet, general maintenance, exhaust, wheels, lowered, sound system etc.

next up is sti intercooler and raise the boost a little.

what do you drive?

ajg said:
repainted bonnet, general maintenance, exhaust, wheels, lowered, sound system etc.

next up is sti intercooler and raise the boost a little.

what do you drive?
Very nice, I drive a 180sx when its running haha. I bought it not running and have been fixing it up whenever I've had the time between uni. Just about to finish uni so some money and time will go into it soon. So far its a standard CA18DET motor with an s14 T28 bush bearing turbo running 12PSI with a safe tune for 150rwkW which still goes in a 1200kg car, Needs rear bar and front bar painted and some minor interior things done then I'll be pretty happy with it and will probably move onto a bigger aftermarket side mount intercooler (I'm weird with side mounts, love keeping it standard at the front) and throw in a ball bearing turbo and see what she can do.

ahh the good ol' s chassis. wouldnt mind one of those once I finish paying for my upcoming wedding.

fairly cheap, lots of parts, massive aftermarket support and good looking to boot!

Fishing and Kitesurfing.

If its windy I go kitesurfing. If its not windy I go fishing.

If its raining, too cold or the sea is too rough I sit at home watching kitesurfing videos, reading fishing forums or AHB.

Nizmoose said:
Very nice, I drive a 180sx when its running haha. I bought it not running and have been fixing it up whenever I've had the time between uni. Just about to finish uni so some money and time will go into it soon. So far its a standard CA18DET motor with an s14 T28 bush bearing turbo running 12PSI with a safe tune for 150rwkW which still goes in a 1200kg car, Needs rear bar and front bar painted and some minor interior things done then I'll be pretty happy with it and will probably move onto a bigger aftermarket side mount intercooler (I'm weird with side mounts, love keeping it standard at the front) and throw in a ball bearing turbo and see what she can do.
Nice to hear you enjoy yours!
I hunted down what I thought was a nice 180 but I had to rebuild the engine and several turbo's. Nothing but a waste of money for me, and I did 70% of the work myself.
Sold it to some poor bugger that couldn't speak English. I took back my fist car being a Mitsubishi mirage till I saved up for a wrx. Never looked back.
My hobbies:
Sport cricket, basketball.
Also car racing, general engineering fabrication/welding.
One day I might get the daughter into Karting if she shows interest B-)

1447227470995.jpg

Latest posts

Back