Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peekaboo_jones said:
Got a supercharger for that yet bill? :p
No not the Clubby, but this power plant is going into a ke20 corolla

1447239470386.jpg

peekaboo_jones said:
Nice to hear you enjoy yours!
I hunted down what I thought was a nice 180 but I had to rebuild the engine and several turbo's. Nothing but a waste of money for me, and I did 70% of the work myself.
Sold it to some poor bugger that couldn't speak English. I took back my fist car being a Mitsubishi mirage till I saved up for a wrx. Never looked back.
My hobbies:
Sport cricket, basketball.
Also car racing, general engineering fabrication/welding.
One day I might get the daughter into Karting if she shows interest B-)
Unfortunately an all to common story! I was lucky, picked one up that had been stored for five years, had 80,000 genuine kms on it and the chassis was good, hadn't been run in ages, guy said it wasn't running right, it wouldn't stay alive, by the time I got to Melbourne to pick it up it could just idle, got it on a trailer and idled it at home for ages, got rid of the old fuel, new fuel filter, bit of knock sensor wiring and she was good! Picked her up for 3k as well.

Dave70 said:
In my youthful wisdom however I decided to opt for a HZ Statesman and modify it with a giant Rochester mech secondary carb and unrealistically lumpy cam.
Ill handling, cranky and indifferent to starting.
Sold it eventually for much less than i paid as my modest plumbing apprentice wage was being battered by the constant repair and fuel bills.
I to wandered down a similar path. HJ Wagon, 308,L34 rods, lumpy cam, extractors..etc..etc. Did mange to sort the handling out with decent Lovells springs, swaybars and gas shocks, disk brake rear end ( from a WB Staesman ). Damn thing ended up pretty good in the end, handled well for a big car and went rather well, but ate M21's with ease...

I miss that car, but dont think I could handle owning it now. Heavy on fuel and a cranky bitch when cold

Also had an ex Highway Patrol VH Commy...that was a nice car, went like a scalded cat and handled like it was on rails ( compared to the HJ ), but alas, it was full of rust...

IMG_0040.JPG

Just started getting into kitesurfing. That's my 14 metre North Rhino kite. It's a beast. Managed to finally get up on my board this weekend gone, but not for long before I ended up back in the sea. It's going take a bit of practice!

I sat on Pippi beach Yamba one holiday afternoon sipping beers watching four guys going at it and snapping a few pics. Blustery weather and no kidding, some were launching off the breakers getting at least five seconds of air I reckon.
I thought to my self, man, how ******* cool is that, I'd love to give that a go.
Then I thought, well, you cant surf for starters or hang glide or parachute. Then had visions of myself tangled up in the canopy and cord, getting pummeled by the surf and washing ashore like some wheezing piece of flotsam coughing up sand and shell grit.
Much like the time I tried windsurfing..

{'four guys going at it and snapping a few pics' - kitesurfing that is..}

Dave70 said:
I sat on Pippi beach Yamba one holiday afternoon sipping beers watching four guys going at it and snapping a few pics. Blustery weather and no kidding, some were launching off the breakers getting at least five seconds of air I reckon.
I thought to my self, man, how ******* cool is that, I'd love to give that a go.
Then I thought, well, you cant surf for starters or hang glide or parachute. Then had visions of myself tangled up in the canopy and cord, getting pummeled by the surf and washing ashore like some wheezing piece of flotsam coughing up sand and shell grit.

I sat on Pippi beach Yamba one holiday afternoon sipping beers

Sometimes drinking beers can stop you doing stupid things

pcmfisher said:
Commodore handling like it was on rails....
25r30wi.gif
25r30wi.gif
25r30wi.gif
Actually this one did. Was great to drive, 4w disks, light, good undies, hairy motor, even had the original cop rims & fine increment speedo...

God knows what it would be worth now :unsure: ...did a swap to buy it, did a swap to sell it....

Dave70 said:

It is brilliant, so far anyway, although I've done little more than stick the kite in the air, get dragged around the sea face-first and swallowed a shit load of sea water but I can see the potential!

And of course, you always get folk who have to go that one step too far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ESaA6kzxw

Bugger that.

seamad said:
thought the crocs up that way would be motivation enough to not fall in
The motivation is there, the ability not.

my brother has kite surfed for years, now he lives back in aus he's doing a bit more ( lived in Germany for 20+ years). I made him a couple of carbon boards cored with end grain balsa about 10 years ago, still using them. I used to windsurf, but now find a sailing boat @ 40ft a bit more comfortable. Currently building a 12.5m sailing cat.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I sat on Pippi beach Yamba one holiday afternoon sipping beers

Sometimes drinking beers can stop you doing stupid things
Yeah.....well. On balance, not to much in my case if I'm honest.

welly2 said:
It is brilliant, so far anyway, although I've done little more than stick the kite in the air, get dragged around the sea face-first and swallowed a shit load of sea water but I can see the potential!

And of course, you always get folk who have to go that one step too far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ESaA6kzxw

Bugger that.

In the foreground, my hairy legs and the Swiss alps. Behind me, an Austrian man strapped to my back, a parachute and a very large steep mountain.
For a height sook like me the adrenaline was pumping like meth. Since we initially had to run to get airborne, I channeled my fear into frenzied Fred Flintstone like steps.
What a rush.

DSC00604.jpg

Dave70 said:
Yeah.....well. On balance, not to much in my case if I'm honest.
There will always be days when your best mate goes " Its a great bike..." and takes your beer off you ...and you know your going to basically get hurt

A new YZF490 is not a slow motorcylce

Had a bit of a hobby shift over the past year, which started with a kit guitar I got for my birthday last year. (I posted pics a few pages back).

So far this year I've made a fuzz pedal berserker.jpg
and a portable guitar amp called a Noisy Cricket. For a 9V 1/2W amp, it's unbelievably loud!
Needed a box for it, and the wife found me a lunchbox. It even matched the knobs I'd bought!
Cricket 1.JPGcricket 2.JPG
I have it running through an old unloaded guitar combo cabinet I scored off ebay for $1. (missing speaker but I had one lying around)
carlsbro2.jpg

Next project is a 1W tube amp, and fixing a broken Hendrix wah pedal

On a side note I rebuilt my old worn out MTB I've had since my apprentice days. It's now single speed, pretty highly geared (46:16), making hillclimbs a challenge, but it's mainly for road use.
bike.jpg

Been offline for a while, just lurking, but I've got my first fermenter of the year going. Yay!

Nice one! That's a lot of tone knobs for a fuzz pedal. I've got all the components together to make a zvex super hard on pedal. Still trying to get my head around the off board wiring.

Back