Any Other Hobbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a guy surf fishing and he had a pneumatic valve with a plastic barrel on it, loaded his terminal tackle into the barrel pumped the pneumatic valve full of air with a foot pump then took aim, opened the valve and away it all went. I like the drone idea though.
That sounds a bit illegal .

Would a pneumatic launcher be illegal? I understand the old lemon launcher might be but can't see why one relying on air pressure would be. Then again, you need a licence for an air rifle or paintball gun.
I bought a slingshot a while back from two mutual gunshops. One sold the handle, the other sold the sling, they both called them 'bait launchers.'
The agility to cast 100m is awesome but most of the time the gutter is within 20m of your rod holder.

Would a pneumatic launcher be illegal? I understand the old lemon launcher might be but can't see why one relying on air pressure would be. Then again, you need a licence for an air rifle or paintball gun.
I bought a slingshot a while back from two mutual gunshops. One sold the handle, the other sold the sling, they both called them 'bait launchers.'
The agility to cast 100m is awesome but most of the time the gutter is within 20m of your rod holder.

Exactly what an old bloke (you know the ones, Terry toweling hat, faded stubbies, Alvey side cast) told me on a beach down near Tathra as I was near dislocating my shoulder trying to cast to the horizon.
No need to cast to Billy O, he said - whatever that is - The fish are at your feet. His bucket of whiting vs my bucket of **** all convinced me to loose the 5 kg of sinkers and fish close in and light.
Went back to the van with four fish that morning. Win.

I dabble in a bit of photography and 3d printing.

Seems to be more about beer these days though. Mmmmmm Beer.

Learning how to use meshmixer at the moment to remix 3d printed beer tap handles. I've printed a few off thingiverse but want some custom ones.

Went on a fishing trip with some mates a couple of months ago down at Broke inlet. plenty of fish and abalone, was a lot of fun.

That sounds a bit illegal .

That’s what I was thinking.

I knew a guy who had a similar toy when I lived in Hong Kong only he fired potatoes out of it. He took it to a Chinese New Year party so folk could amuse themselves shooting from the roof terrace at fishing boats moored in the harbour below.

After a while a solicitor who was at the party advised against doing that so someone set up a plastic pail perched on a plastic garden chair as a target. The spud went straight through the bucket and the back of the chair.

Used to use one of these for seating beads in low profile tyres. Didn't need a licence for it, just common sense. Unlike this clown.

One of my old bosses had a spud gun... first day on the job took me out to fire a few spuds down the laneway. . That job did not last long.
Wednesday arvos at current job a couple of us head down the breakwall for a fish and we take a few beers. Not many fish caught but it's a good arvo out. Saw a nice big sea turtle last trip. Edit: come to think of it last trip was about 4 months ago.. how time flies. Must go again soon.

Used to use one of these for seating beads in low profile tyres. Didn't need a licence for it, just common sense. Unlike this clown.

Heard a wonderful story about an hilarious prank (few years back doing my whitecard wank/training).

Scene - funny tradies, apprentice, air compressor. Since some old school tradie pranksters (happens in military, boarding schools, etc as well) have hilarious, ungay, non- pederastic obsessions with apprentice's orifice and nether regions, imagine the laughter and hilarity ensuing from the insertion of an air blow gun in one of those orifices.

My word, what fun.

One of my old bosses had a spud gun... first day on the job took me out to fire a few spuds down the laneway. . That job did not last long.
Wednesday arvos at current job a couple of us head down the breakwall for a fish and we take a few beers. Not many fish caught but it's a good arvo out. Saw a nice big sea turtle last trip. Edit: come to think of it last trip was about 4 months ago.. how time flies. Must go again soon.

I had spud guns when I was a kid. You could buy them in toy shops and were surprisingly powerful for toys, would leave a red mark on my brother when I shot him.

One model was air powered like an air pistol but the best used caps and you could improve them with red match heads under the cap.

These ones were made of PVC with an expansion chamber at one end which was filled with gas from an aerosol can. A spark plug tapped in to ignite it (connect to a battery) and Boom! Bloody dangerous...
Those blokes were clever (a bit too clever) as they paid the lads absolute minimum to do the work whilst they fckd about in the shed with toys... went through staff pretty quick.

Heard a wonderful story about an hilarious prank (few years back doing my whitecard wank/training).

Scene - funny tradies, apprentice, air compressor. Since some old school tradie pranksters (happens in military, boarding schools, etc as well) have hilarious, ungay, non- pederastic obsessions with apprentice's orifice and nether regions, imagine the laughter and hilarity ensuing from the insertion of an air blow gun in one of those orifices.

My word, what fun.

My old auto prac teacher in high school told us on the first day he had us about a similar instance in his class. Air blower in the ass, air into the bloodstream, effectively a vapour lock to the heart, excruciating death. These were just high school students mind you. But, I bet we're all thinking that they probably turned out to be tradies. Bloody tradies.

These ones were made of PVC with an expansion chamber at one end which was filled with gas from an aerosol can. A spark plug tapped in to ignite it (connect to a battery) and Boom! Bloody dangerous...
Those blokes were clever (a bit too clever) as they paid the lads absolute minimum to do the work whilst they fckd about in the shed with toys... went through staff pretty quick.

A can of butane, some pvc pipe and a piezo igniter off the BBQ was all you'd need to launch an orange halfway across the suburb.

The HK spud cannon was about the same but had a BBQ ignition to ignite the aerosol.

It was bloody loud and could only be used for extended periods over Chinese new Year as it would blend in with the fire crackers and fireworks. Fireworks were also illegal but the local police turned a blind eye to those and shut up shop at the time.

A can of butane, some pvc pipe and a piezo igniter off the BBQ was all you'd need to launch an orange halfway across the suburb.

Many years ago, we made one of these on a job site and it was a farking weapon.

We didn't use oranges though, we used billiard balls. (Kids, don't ever try this. Ever!)

The thing would shoot billiard balls waaay out into the neighbouring cow paddock, we stepped it out one day and it was nearly half a kilometre.

One time we propped a piece of 18mm compressed fibre cement sheet up against a couple of star pickets and fired a billiard ball at it. Compressed fibro is about the hardest building material there is, with the exceptions being steel and concrete.

It blew a hole clean through it and we heard the billiard ball hit the trees a couple of hundred metres away at the same time we saw the hole appear in the compressed.

We stopped using it shortly after.

It blew a hole clean through it and we heard the billiard ball hit the trees a couple of hundred metres away at the same time we saw the hole appear in the compressed.

While we are on the subject of ballistics have any of you guys tried dripping candle wax into a shot gun cartridge to make a solid shot? Most impressive, can cut down a small tree at 100 metres.

Last edited:
Nope, also sounds bloody dangerous!

Haven't been shooting in a couple decades. From memory some of the guys used to semi ring-bark the plastic bit of the shotty shell in an attempt to get the whole slug to come out whole instead of individual pellets - I can't recall if it worked very well.

Latest posts

Back