Angle Grinder Disc For Cutting Ss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the locking nut is my problem. It is flat on both sides and is not countersunk in the middle... well not enough to accept the flange. I guess I need a new locking nut. The locking nut may not be the original?? The grinder is 20 yrs old anway.

Cheers, Pok

Well.....don't just stand there man, :blink: that's the PERFECT excuse to go and buy some new tools :lol: :beerbang:

Well.....don't just stand there man, :blink: that's the PERFECT excuse to go and buy some new tools :lol: :beerbang:

LOL as a uni student buying new tools isnt really in the budget... especially when Im saving to go to asia for 2 months and build and AG setup :p

Pok

I think the locking nut is my problem. It is flat on both sides and is not countersunk in the middle... well not enough to accept the flange. I guess I need a new locking nut. The locking nut may not be the original?? The grinder is 20 yrs old anway.

Cheers, Pok
I know the safety experts will shoot me down on this but a shim with the same inner diameter as the grinding wheel and the same outside diameter as the lock ring can help here. Obviously the shim needs to be made of something flat and rigid like brass or aluminium. One of my grinders is like yours and that is what I have done in the the past to allow it to tighten up, I only needed to have it about 0.5mm thick to allow my grinder to tighten properly.

I know the safety experts will shoot me down on this but a shim with the same inner diameter as the grinding wheel and the same outside diameter as the lock ring can help here. Obviously the shim needs to be made of something flat and rigid like brass or aluminium. One of my grinders is like yours and that is what I have done in the the past to allow it to tighten up, I only needed to have it about 0.5mm thick to allow my grinder to tighten properly.
I was going to say that but didnt want to seud.So i didnt sat that. :unsure:

So you mean a spacer I assume... I thought of that... but don't have anything suitable.

I will go to bunnings tomorrow and have a looksee.. if that is uneventul I will either ring Makita or buy a cheap grinder and use that.

Pok

Don't blow the budget at Bunnings.

I picked up a 10 cm grinder from Kmart for 19 dollars and one of 1mm discs you have there 2 weeks ago.
45 minutes later I have 2 vessels ready to brew... just pick up some ear and eye protection B)

happy cutting!

So you mean a spacer I assume... I thought of that... but don't have anything suitable.

I will go to bunnings tomorrow and have a looksee.. if that is uneventul I will either ring Makita or buy a cheap grinder and use that.

Pok
Yes a spacer, but something that is flat and round as it will be spinning at 10,000 rpm or whatever. Not just a 2mm thick stamped metal washer :ph34r:

I agree,
After cutting mamy many Stainless Vessels with these cutting discs it is important that you put a spacer between the disc and the locking flange.
A used disc that is very worn works well or a small thin washer

Franko

My angle grinder (metabo) came with the shims you speak of.
Both aluminium and a hard white plastic in various thicknesses - sounds like this is what they are for.
I will have a look and see if I can find them - if it saves you buying a new grinder Pok you are welcome to use them.
Assuming I can find them of course :p
Will let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Craig

Have had this problem........Flexovit dont have a metal centre...Will Oval the disk.. :(
A new spacer when i asked at tool shop was dearer than buying an ...Elcheapo grinder..
Cheers
PJ

I agree,
After cutting mamy many Stainless Vessels with these cutting discs it is important that you put a spacer between the disc and the locking flange.
A used disc that is very worn works well or a small thin washer
Franko

I agree with Franko and was going to mention the same thing. Use an old worn disc as the spacer.

Kabooby :)

Pok,

Just dug out to 1mm brass spacers from the angle grinder box if that helps.

Cheers,

Craig

Have had this problem........Flexovit dont have a metal centre...Will Oval the disk.. :(
A new spacer when i asked at tool shop was dearer than buying an ...Elcheapo grinder..
Cheers
PJ

This is what I suspected.

Thanks to all those who have helped out. In the mean time MHB has offered his services to plasma cut the hole which is fantastic.

I hope he doesn't mind me letting you all know. But thought I would mention it due to his generosity, completely on his own merit. Once again I am more then amazed by the generosity of members on AHB.

Thanks again,

Pok :beer:

If you look in the box your dads makita grinder came in, you'll see it has several different flanges and spacers, now get out of my garage son and get to bed!.....get your jama's on first though!!....

[ MHB has offered his services to plasma cut the hole which is fantastic.

Pok :beer:
[/quote]

Plasma will always beat an angle grinder.....

If you look in the box your dads makita grinder came in, you'll see it has several different flanges and spacers, now get out of my garage son and get to bed!.....get your jama's on first though!!....

hahaha yes dad!!..... I have already checked the box though.. amazing we still have it after 20 years.

Anyway thanks for the help guys. If I need to cut other stuff I may just hit Craigm up and borrow his spacer.

Cheers, Pok :beer:

Nice end to what was turning into a scary tale, sure to end in Woe.

I say this without trying to sound like a smart ass, but if you are unsure on how to mount a disc on a grinder, than you should not be using the said grinder.

A grinder is one of, if not the, most commonly abused and missused power tool, which can be a very bad thing, they will hurt you ALOT if you dont show them respect, they dont slow down when they hit flesh, I know, in fact I think they go faster, 20 years as a Plant mechanic has left me with many battle scars from grinders and such, they are not toys.

I am glad Mark has offered to help, if you cannot get to marks, I live in maitland, and would be happy to do it, I have all the tools required, along with all safety gear.

Please dont do yourself a PREVENTABLE injury, becasue you felt like saving some time.

I think I am lucky to still have all of my fingers left, scared as they may be, dont loose yours, or an eye, or a tooth or.....

Nice end to what was turning into a scary tale, sure to end in Woe.

I say this without trying to sound like a smart ass, but if you are unsure on how to mount a disc on a grinder, than you should not be using the said grinder.

A grinder is one of, if not the, most commonly abused and missused power tool, which can be a very bad thing, they will hurt you ALOT if you dont show them respect, they dont slow down when they hit flesh, I know, in fact I think they go faster, 20 years as a Plant mechanic has left me with many battle scars from grinders and such, they are not toys.

I am glad Mark has offered to help, if you cannot get to marks, I live in maitland, and would be happy to do it, I have all the tools required, along with all safety gear.

Please dont do yourself a PREVENTABLE injury, becasue you felt like saving some time.

I think I am lucky to still have all of my fingers left, scared as they may be, dont loose yours, or an eye, or a tooth or.....

Eugene,

Thanks for the feedback and I completely agree with what you are saying. The exact reason I asked about the fitment is because I don't want to come off second best. I have had little experience using an angle grinder and wanted to cover all bases before going ahead and using it.... as you said... one small hickup and I could easily be on the receiving end of a nasty blow.

On the up side of all of this the following has been learnt:

1. If your unsure... ask!!! which is a rule I always follow
2. if no answer.... ask again.
3. MHB is a legend.. just for offering is a great thing... and deffinatley shows why he has such a successful business.

Anyway thanks to all on this topic and I shall endevour to post some pics of the kettle when she is done... with her new fire engine red paint job and all :beer:

Chers, Pok

i do also agree with eugene ,as myself being a sheety last year nicked m thumb with a cutting disk like u have wear i took the guard for a job for acces and hand not put it back on ..I cut my self when putting the grinder down and if i had the guard i would of not cut my self and it bloddy hurt right on the knucke...

Angle grinders are nasty. Even better though, my apprentice shot a 50mm nail into his femur today. :huh: OOOOWWW!! But work safe were cool which was a nice break after a bad day.

Back