Android Mobile Handsets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an HTC Legend. Very happy with it. Plays nice with ubuntu except that I can';t get rhythmbox to recognise existing playlists on the phone.. only create new ones. Other than that little niggle it works well. Mail/contacts/calendar etc work fine.

I have heard very nice things about the desire as well. Would have got that one but its a telstra exclusive.

Cheers
Dave

I have the HTC Desire and find it a great handset. It is way better than my previous one which was an iPhone.
I like that I can now integrate better with my Google services, and that Android is far more flexible than Apple.

ive got an x10 mini which is good for me because its pretty small.
the downside is because its small it has a small screen which isnt great for web browsing, its got a qwerty keyboard and decent camera.
im pretty happy with it but it depends what you want to use it for.
cheers,
stewart

Geez, all you techno updated with it guys leave me for dead.

I'm pretty good with the PC, but with mobiles I'm a simple pre-paid guy.
I bought $50 pre-paid last February, and I started to get nasty text messages from Optus recently telling they'll cut my service if I don't use it soon!

I'm a pretty heavy texter and I hate touchscreen typing so when I upgraded recently I got a x10 mini pro. Love the qwerty keypad and the size (I can sit with it in my pocket and still get it out). It is only at 1.6 at the moment but an upgrade to 2.1 should be out in the next few weeks. I've had no problems with it over the last three months. I don't browse the internet with it though - I'd consider looking at another phone if you do.

I've played with a Galaxy S and it seems like a decent handset but way too big for me.

Had the samsung galaxy s for a while now very happy with it, if you do a lot of texting(or writing emails) check out the SWYPE function brilliant wouldn't type without it now, good camera but needs a flash and the video is of very high standard, very bright and easy to read screen even in sunlight, can be laggy sometimes just keep an eye on open apps. Big thumbs up for the galaxy.

I've got an HTC Desire for work and it's fine as a phone but I really don't like it as an email device or general play thing. A lot of us miss our old blackberry bolds for email. I find my Iphone a lot easier to type emails on the predictive text is actually batter on the Iphone and the keyboard size suits me better.

The desire does integrate well with all of my google stuff though, it is faster than the Iphone, but it also chews battery power particularly if you're travelling through areas of patchy reception. A car charger is a must.

Also, the desire is really easy to turn on which can be a pita when it's in your pocket and you're dialling random numbers out of your contact list.

cheers

grant

Got a HTC Desire HD. Love it to death, although it's fairly big. Unfortunately, it's exclusive to Vodafone. Still, loving the android OS - I find it far easier to use than the wifes iPhone, and it has far more functionality. For example, when I'm home connected to my wi-fi network, it automagically detects my media server, and is able to play streamed music and video from there. Now, some may question the worth of this (why watch on a phone screen when I can watch on the 46" in the lounge room), but all I can say is I'm finding myself spending a lot more time on the toilet! :)

I know a few people with the standard Desire. They all love it.

are you not worried about becoming a google research officer?

Oh, no! They'll know when I check my gmail! And when I search for information via google!

Great. Now AHB is on THE LIST.

are you not worried about becoming a google research officer?
Why? They know everything already...

A friend of mine's son looked at her recently, after she had tried to fob him off with a vague answer to a question she didn't really know the answer to, and said 'Mummy, what would Google say?'

But I posted it from a closed source operating system, not my android phone, so I don't understand how?

just because its android doesnt mean its not running closed source. AFAIK HTC Sense UI is closed source. PLUS Android is released under the Apache license, so can easily be copied and close sourced. Id be surprised if the source is available for ANY phone running anything other than vanilla Android

The only difference is youre not being locked in (for now, this can change with one firmware upgrade)

my 2c

just because its android doesnt mean its not running closed source. AFAIK HTC Sense UI is closed source. PLUS Android is released under the Apache license, so can easily be copied and close sourced. Id be surprised if the source is available for ANY phone running anything other than vanilla Android

The only difference is youre not being locked in (for now, this can change with one firmware upgrade)
It was a flippant response to a rather silly question, that's all. Being concerned that your every movement is now tracked by google because you own an android phone, and that somehow having an iOS, Win7 or Symbian phone makes you "free" is just... silly.

I got it, if that counts for anything.

Back