An Aussie expat returning to home brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Jason, an Aussie expat living in Gothenburg, Sweden, who has recently gotten back into home brewing.
I say that I have gotten back into it as I first started brewing back in 2006 with Kit based stuff and extract brewing.
This time I have jumped right in to all grain with BIAB and enjoying it so far.
I thought I would join this forum as I was a member back in 2006/2007! Although don't even remember my old username any more! :blink: It's also nice to see what's going on back in Australia in the home brewing world.

Anyone on this forum tried Swedish craft beer? The craft beer thing seems to be quite big up here right now, with a wide range of interesting beer available and a lot of growing interest. Although back in Oz I never ever saw Swedish beer around.

Oh and please don't mention that Rekorderlig sh*t :p
Edit: Or ABBA. Please.

What about the sweetish chef from the Muppets ?

In fact, that'd make a great avatar for you ;)

Sorry..

I dont watch TV. :unsure:

have no idea other than the home brewing. Go Forth! Use the force. :beerbang:

Danscraftbeer said:
I dont watch TV. :unsure:

have no idea other than the home brewing. Go Forth! Use the force. :beerbang:
What do you mean? You don't watch the muppets? I thought everyone did?

:)

Jasons bryggeri said:
What do you mean? You don't watch the muppets? I thought everyone did?

:)
Yes as a child and imbeded in my brain but the memory is, oh, 30+ years old now, I just need to reminisce a little now. :lol:

Hi Jason,

I'm a Swede from the Gothenburg region now living in Melbourne since 4 years back. Last time I visited Sweden (2013), the craft beer scene had truly exploded with Gothenburg being the epicenter. We produce such good beers in Sweden and it's a shame not much reaches Australia. Omnipollo, Dugges and Electric Nurse are the only craft ones I've seen down here. The only Swedish beer that is widely available here in Melbourne is Pistonhead which tastes pretty bad and hardly can be seen as craft.

Beerbliotek from Gothenburg, run by Adam and Richard (aussie and kiwi), is probably one of the most consistent and innovative breweries in Sweden.

How's the homebrewing scene in Gothenburg at the moment? I've heard about brew clubs, competitions and new home brew shops popping up. I'm going back for a visit in a few weeks. Looking forward seeing how things have changed.

Cheers!

Hi, and welcome..

oh and sorry, couldn't help myself, I love this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adfipy3lp9o

swedebeer said:
Hi Jason,

I'm a Swede from the Gothenburg region now living in Melbourne since 4 years back. Last time I visited Sweden (2013), the craft beer scene had truly exploded with Gothenburg being the epicenter. We produce such good beers in Sweden and it's a shame not much reaches Australia. Omnipollo, Dugges and Electric Nurse are the only craft ones I've seen down here. The only Swedish beer that is widely available here in Melbourne is Pistonhead which tastes pretty bad and hardly can be seen as craft.

Beerbliotek from Gothenburg, run by Adam and Richard (aussie and kiwi), is probably one of the most consistent and innovative breweries in Sweden.

How's the homebrewing scene in Gothenburg at the moment? I've heard about brew clubs, competitions and new home brew shops popping up. I'm going back for a visit in a few weeks. Looking forward seeing how things have changed.

Cheers!

Well how about that, a Swede on this forum and a Göteborgare no less! Vad häftigt! Tjena! :D

Sad to hear not much reaches Australia although something is better than nothing I guess. Dugges is cool, they have nice raspberry and blackcurrant sour beers which I tried recently.

I admit that I am becoming a fan of Beerbliotek the more I try their stuff. I did meet Richard once back when I first moved here (2013) but have lost contact since.

I not sure how accurately I can describe the homebrewing scene here as I am just getting into it. But there does seem to be a lot of activity.
So far I have been buying all of my supplies from a small shop called Pot Belly Brewshop (http://potbelly.se/). The main guy there is very helpful and knowledgeable and has really helped me to get started. In terms of competitions, they currently have a home brew competition to brew a beer with at least 10% rye. I am entering that competition with a Rye Robust Porter which is just finishing up in primary at the moment.
Apparently the competition is being run together with a guy from a new brewery startup (http://westcoastbryggeri.com). So I am looking forward to how this process goes and hopefully meet some more brewers.

Brew clubs is not something I know anything about yet. They are probably here but I am still looking :) Might need to lurk more on the swedish homebrewing forums.

When you're coming back I'd recommend a visit to the Brewers Beer bar on Tredje Långgatan (http://brewersbeerbar.se/)
They seem to update their beers on tap very regularly and it seems a bit of a haven for the more interesting and innovative brews.
I think it's quite a new bar so maybe it was not here last time you visited.

cheers,
Jason

Latest posts

Back