American Pale Ale design - hoppy & light malt profile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m planning to brew an American Pale ale which is refreshing and crisp with plenty of floral, citrus and a bit of pine hop flavour. Something like SNPA but with more hop flavour and around 40-45 IBU.

I've been messing around with a recipe, the malt schedule is based on a SNPA recipe which has turned out well in the past. I don’t want too much caramel malt flavour. I’d prefer a lighter malt profile similar to SNPA or EPIC Armageddon IPA.

Any pointers particularly on the hop schedule would be appreciated. I've got plenty of hops so amounts aren't an issue including US Magnum, Simcoe, Chinook, Columbus, Cascade and Centennial. My only concern is the hop trub building up and blocking the fermenter tap.

Recipe Specifications (Partial Mash)
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.50 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 15.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1.80 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (4.0 EBC)
0.30 kg Crystal (Joe White) (130.0 EBC)
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min]

10.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
10.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Boil 30 min
15.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1 item Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
15.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2.70 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)
40.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
40.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 m
1.0 pkg US-05 (Yeast Starter)

Mash in 66-67 °C for 60 mins
Mash out 75.6- 76.7°C for 15 mins

0 min additions added after chilling wort below 50°C

Primary Fermentation 3 weeks @ 18°C

The estimated IBU (53.6) in Beersmith appears to be overestimated for partial brews. Previous brews I’ve done were estimated at 37 IBU and they weren’t bitter enough. I’m aiming for somewhere around 40-45 IBU.

This is the first time I’ve used US Magnum. Anyone had any bad experiences with it? I’ve read in a few places it’s not as clean as German Magnum? Should I ditch it and use Columbus or Simcoe instead for the 60 min addition?

Should I add extracts straight to fermenter? In the past I’ve always added at last 15mins of boil and added 10-15% extra for hop efficiency. What are the pros and cons of 15 mins vs straight into the fermenter?

Should I crash chill? What temp and for how long?

Any feedback would be great :beerbang:

Im no expert,,, but I reckon if u want refreshing & crisp then drop the crystal malt & use some munich & victory (like jamil's recipe in classic styles).

I didn't like the flavour carried through from magnum bittering (2 brews), although the late hops in an apa will mask it.

If using extract, i just tip it in at 1 min to go. found the coopers light to be a bit sweet/unfermentable.

Wasn't to sure about the colombus first time round but have quickly grown to love it. suits the style.

cheers. josh.

Couple of teaspoons of Gypsum can help bring the hop flavour out, but take note that it will also increase the IBU.

Josh SA said:
Im no expert,,, but I reckon if u want refreshing & crisp then drop the crystal malt & use some munich & victory (like jamil's recipe in classic styles).

I didn't like the flavour carried through from magnum bittering (2 brews), although the late hops in an apa will mask it.

If using extract, i just tip it in at 1 min to go. found the coopers light to be a bit sweet/unfermentable.

Wasn't to sure about the colombus first time round but have quickly grown to love it. suits the style.

cheers. josh.
Yeah I thought the late hops would mask any flavour carried over by the magnum, I think i'll keep it as the 60 mins addition.

I'd like to learn more about grain selection. There seems to be so many variations like Munich I, Munich II, Munich III, Caramunich I etc

I could use English malts like EPIC Armageddon IPA. Maybe something like:

92% Muntons Pale Ale Malt EBC 5
8% Muntons Caramalt EBC 34

Do you think this would balance the hops enough? Or should I stick to crystal malt?

If you want it crisper / drier, why not go for a lower mash temp.

I go two weeks in the fermenter at 18, then drop it in the chesty for one week at 2 deg. Works well.

Give green flash WC IPA a go if you like EPIC beers. Even heretic evil cousin is great.

bmarshall said:
Give green flash WC IPA a go if you like EPIC beers. Even heretic evil cousin is great.
Yeah I love the Green Flash West Coast IPA probably my fav beer at the moment,

Wasn't a huge fan of the Heretic Evil Cousin, to much caramel malt flavour IMO. It was quite sickly. I did enjoy Heretic Evil Twin though.

Don't necessarily drop the crystal out but reduce it to maybe 100-150. Munich as suggested or Vienna as part of your base would be good. Maris otter as a base is also good in apas.

Dave's suggestion to drop mash temp is also good, especially with all the extract.

Where did you come across the information that calcium sulphate will increase IBUs/alpha acid isomerisation Hoppy2b?

manticle said:
Where did you come across the information that calcium sulphate will increase IBUs/alpha acid isomerisation Hoppy2b?
He may well have read it somewhere but I don't believe it actually does. It may increase the perceived bitterness, though, which may be enough to give the result the OP is looking for.

Latest posts

Back