Alsace Regional Beer Recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any recipes loosely based on kits or malt+hops for any beer(s) from the Alsace region of France?

I'm trying to convert a mate who hails from Alsace to HB, but naturally enough there's some resistance. A taste of home, I think, will change his mind.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers - Fermented.

Kronenbourg is from Strassbourg and uses the Strisselspalt hop - a French aroma hop from Alsace, used mostly in pale lagers. Similar to Herbrucker. Thanks to good old Wikipedia.

I would suggest a very bland pale kit like a Canadian, a kilo of LDME, 750 of DEX and 300 of carapils.

Boil maybe 30g of Herbrucker (New season just arrived at Craftbrewer $9.00 ) for 30 mins and 20g for 5 mins in a litre of water with the steepings from the carapils and some of the LDME added for better hop utilisation.

Use a lager yeast such as Fermentis s-23 which is made in France so that might count for something :p , ferment fairly cool if you have a brewing fridge. If you can't do a low temp then Nottingham ferments very clean and I have had some great results using it in 'fake' lagers.

EDIT EDIT EDIT .... Ross also sells Strisselspalt !!! Should have scrolled down to the sss in the first place.
Hope that turns out fairly Alsatian woof woof. :D

have you searched?
No mate, I just thought I would annoy the crap out of everyone else here. /sarcasm. Of course I searched but I didn't find any kind of useful or definitive answer, hence seeking guidance from those in the know.

Kronenbourg is from Strassbourg and uses the Strisselspalt hop - a French aroma hop from Alsace, used mostly in pale lagers. Similar to Herbrucker. Thanks to good old Wikipedia.

I would suggest a very bland pale kit like a Canadian, a kilo of LDME, 750 of DEX and 300 of carapils.

Boil maybe 30g of Herbrucker (New season just arrived at Craftbrewer $9.00 ) for 30 mins and 20g for 5 mins in a litre of water with the steepings from the carapils and some of the LDME added for better hop utilisation.

Use a lager yeast such as Fermentis s-23 which is made in France so that might count for something :p , ferment fairly cool if you have a brewing fridge. If you can't do a low temp then Nottingham ferments very clean and I have had some great results using it in 'fake' lagers.

EDIT EDIT EDIT .... Ross also sells Strisselspalt !!! Should have scrolled down to the sss in the first place.
Hope that turns out fairly Alsatian woof woof. :D
Thanks, BribieG! Greatly appreciate the help. I didn't realise Kronenburg was from that region, in fact I try so hard to forget it was ever in my mouth - not to my taste. Still, will give it a shot and try to bring my mate into the fold.

Your Google-fu is greater than mine. :D

Thanks for the help, fellas!

Cheers - Fermented.

Latest posts

Back