Alpha Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Osangar,

I am about to re-brew it this weekend - hopefully.

Cheers
JSB

Told me they add the dry hops at high krausen. Dont know how much difference it makes but apparently they get the new guy to do it as the foam gushes out the top of the fermenter!

Is there any chance someone could give a recipe using extract with some specialty steeped grains? Had this beer the other night at the Queens hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the full hoppy flavour.

Is there any chance someone could give a recipe using extract with some specialty steeped grains? Had this beer the other night at the Queens hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the full hoppy flavour.

I have a massive craving for it - best APA Ive had the pleasure of tasting (especially on tap).

Will probably drop into the Queens this evening!

Bump!

Yeah I know its an old thread, but a great beer.

Has anyone came close yet... or nailed a recipe.

I have got a recipe together in the db under Beta based on bits and bobs of info above.

Comments welcome.

will dig up my recipe tonight, remember it being close but no cigar, not resiny enough if I remember- a few beers since then. I will post recipe

Cheers
JSB

Sorry to drag this up.

Due to a recently opened new bottle-o that actually has some real craft beers I've been sampling a few different 6 packs. I was like a kid at Christmas when I first walked in. Before this shop opened the best smaller brewery beers that was available was James Squire, Bees Neez and a few imports. Now there is an abundance of micro-brewery stuff from here and overseas. Looking forward to trying the trappist beers and the assorted beers in "pint" bottles!

Anyway I am on my last bottle now and keep getting a very strong malty aroma and then taste. Maybe it's due to my limited tasting of beers but it really stands out to me and is very tasty! Anyone else notice the malt profile rather than just the hops? What would I be tasting? The crystal malt? I've used Carapils, Caramunich1 and a couple others before but never got the sweet smelling/biscuity aroma and taste before. Thanks.

will dig up my recipe tonight, remember it being close but no cigar, not resiny enough if I remember- a few beers since then. I will post recipe

Cheers
JSB

Stop stringing us along, did you find the recipe???

I'm completely in heart with this stuff. Got a batch of grain from Beerbelly the other day.

Trying a SNPA grain recipe as the base with the hopping profile of alpha. Using 120L crystal instead... will see how I go.

I'lll keep you informed...

Interesting to note that Fat Yak now goes for $49 a case in some places but Alpha Pale sells for $87 at Dans...

If someone could nail down a clone I reckon i'd give up brewing any other beer. :lol:

Never tried it but...

For resiny go for NS, Simcoe or Amarillo dryhopped - all 3 will give a pine needle resin

Hmm.. i wonder where near me sells it

edit: a touch of caramalt won't help get anywhere near 24EBC

When i talked to the brewer many years ago before it was brewed at the mbg or pre contract brewed in the same brewery POR was the base bittering hop that was used in all of there beers.
Will have a dig around and see if i can find all the notes i took on the beers.This beer should be the same price as the others but maybe cause its a reasonable drop they have always upped the price!!!

It's a great drink, crazy that the bottle price is so high when the tap price is the same as any other beer. Glad fat yak is at a reasonable price.

Interesting to note that Fat Yak now goes for $49 a case in some places but Alpha Pale sells for $87 at Dans...

If someone could nail down a clone I reckon i'd give up brewing any other beer. :lol:

If I could nail a clone of this I'd not only give up brewing any other beer, I'd give up oxygen and learn to breathe it like fish breathe water OR brew enough for a drip running into a vein 24/7...

That's how much I endorse this fine product.

Any luck with a final recipe for this one? Working my way through a 6 pack, and thoroughly enjoying it!

It's a great drink, crazy that the bottle price is so high when the tap price is the same as any other beer. Glad fat yak is at a reasonable price.

Yeah when they brought out fat yak, they rebranded the pils, dogbolter and alpha, and decided they would sell 4 packs for more than what the 6 pack used to cost. Thats when I stopped drinking them out of principle. I remember the days when they were all on tap at the Queens!

I remember the alpha on tap being an american red ale. Malty, caramel sweetness, and resiny dry hopped goodness. Seems to look quite pale now. Based on memories from 2-3 years ago I would be going with something like:

pale ale malt 83%
Munich I 5%
English dark crystal 7%
English medium crystal 3%
pale chocolate 1-2%

Then hop to just under IPA levels wth cascade, centennial, simcoe. Then dry hop the same combo.

I got this one on my to brew list Molly's Alpha ...
Dragging up an old thread here I know, but did you give this recipe a go jimmysuperlative?

I haven't actually brewed this one since that recipe, but I'm about to order some grain for another go this weekend, was wondering what your thoughts were on that one?

I'm thinking about the following:

23L Litre brew

4.8kg Thomas Fawcett FM Maris Otter
.2kg Bairds Dark Chocolate
.4kg Bairds Torrefied Wheat

Going to sub out the POR hops I used previously for Simcoe which might give that smoother, piney bittering I'm looking for. 0 min additions will be dry hopped at high krausen in primary

Molly's Alpha
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Justin Meldrum

Size: 23 L
Efficiency: 75%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 205.93 kcal per .473 L

Original Gravity: 1.047 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 25.16 (9.85 - 27.58)
Alcohol: 4.57% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 39.2 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
4.8 kg Thomas Fawcett FM Maris Otter
.2 kg Bairds Dark Crystal
.4 kg Bairds Torrified Wheat
12 g Simcoe (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
15 g Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
15 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
15 g Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
30 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
30 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
30 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
0.5 Whirflock tablet, boiled 10 min

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 21.11 C
Source Water: 15.56 C
Elevation: 0.0 m

60 min boil
60 sach rest
Single Infusion light body mash 66C

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Cheers

Molly

Dragging up an old thread here I know, but did you give this recipe a go jimmysuperlative?

I haven't actually brewed this one since that recipe, but I'm about to order some grain for another go this weekend, was wondering what your thoughts were on that one?

I'm thinking about the following:

23L Litre brew

4.8kg Thomas Fawcett FM Maris Otter
.2kg Bairds Dark Chocolate
.4kg Bairds Torrefied Wheat

Going to sub out the POR hops I used previously for Simcoe which might give that smoother, piney bittering I'm looking for. 0 min additions will be dry hopped at high krausen in primary

Molly's Alpha
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Justin Meldrum

Size: 23 L
Efficiency: 75%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 205.93 kcal per .473 L

Original Gravity: 1.047 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 25.16 (9.85 - 27.58)
Alcohol: 4.57% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 39.2 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
4.8 kg Thomas Fawcett FM Maris Otter
.2 kg Bairds Dark Crystal
.4 kg Bairds Torrified Wheat
12 g Simcoe (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
15 g Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
15 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
15 g Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
30 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
30 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
30 g Cascade whole hop flowers (6.7%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
0.5 Whirflock tablet, boiled 10 min

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 21.11 C
Source Water: 15.56 C
Elevation: 0.0 m

60 min boil
60 sach rest
Single Infusion light body mash 66C

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Cheers

Molly

Well this thread is harder to kill than Hitler! :unsure:

How'd this last attempt end up Molly? I'm keen to give an Alpha clone a go and wondering if you got any closer on the last recipe?

Latest posts

Back