All Round Yeast; Porter, Esb, Irish

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi there,
hoping to culture up and vial an all round english yeast that i can use on porters, esb's, irish ales, etc.

thinking along the lines of

ringwood - 1187
london ale 111- 1318
british ale 11- 1335
london esb ale- 1968

i only want to have one culture in the fridge to keep things as simple as possible. from people who have a favourite or anyone who has used all or any of these, which one do you think i should have on hand???

cheers

had good results with the 1318 for the beers you nominate, had even better results with 1084.

I think it depends on how clean you want your Irish to be. I think 1335 might be the bet if you want to keep the esters low enough for an Irish. That is if you want to go the strict adherence to BJCP guidelines for Irish.

I am about to culture up as much 1187 as I can manage for a run of bitters, milds and porters, and to try using in US beers. It is strongly estery, which is why I love it.

Using London III for the first time in 2 beers at the moment - one ESB and one oatmeal stout. Can't give you the results flavourwise for at least a couple of weeks but it is a great top cropping yeast and that gives me massive points in its favour - so easy to reculture super healthy yeast or even simply incolulate a new batch by top cropping straight in (if you are prepared to take a risk with estimating pitching rates).

Haysie mentions 1084 (not on your list) - I've had good results with both Irish Red and Porter using this.

The other English style WY I've used with multiple successes is 1099 (again not on your list) although the last time I used it there was a yeasty taste in what was a very bright brown beer. Not sure what that was or whether it was a fault of the yeast. Previous use in taylor landlord clone, porter and stout have all been good.

I have some recultured ringwood but it hasn't yet found a home in beer.

1469 would be my pick except that it's not available all year round.

Don't overlook re-cultured Coopers yeast. I've made bitters, stouts, APAs, & summer quaffers. It chews through a batch in 3 days flat, so is very handy if you need to turn your fermenters around quickly and it's very easy to get.

What? Why?
He wants more votes for 1469 ... since it's not available. :p

BTW, I'm fermenting both Dr's Landlord clone and a Scottish Ale with 1469 (well Proculture-103 really) right now, but can't comment or compare it to 1968 until they're ready to drink.

When face with a similar problem I ended up with 1028. It's currently sitting silently at around 4 degrees C in it's original package.

1084 or Ringwood. The great feature of 1084 is that it will run happily at 22 degrees for a few days then one morning you inspect it and the surface of the beer is like a millpond. Done, dusted and sunk out of sight. Perfect for stouts and Irish Reds, and brown ales. I haven't used it in a pale ale type beer yet but I bet it would be a cracker. Ringwood is also great but can be a drama queen under 20 degrees. :p

He wants more votes for 1469 ... since it's not available. :p

BTW, I'm fermenting both Dr's Landlord clone and a Scottish Ale with 1469 (well Proculture-103 really) right now, but can't comment or compare it to 1968 until they're ready to drink.

The next batch of 1469 is being released around November (got an email back from Wyeast when we did a mass-pester of them a few months ago). But if you can get hold of the Proculture, it's more 1469 than 1469 is and will be crawling out of the starter bottle in a couple of hours, not a couple of days like the Wyeast Smackpacks which, understandably, have to travel half way round the planet.

ok, after some initial feedback, searching other sources and reading over the specs im torn between 1084 & 1187.

any more opinions of/between the 2 would be appreciated, remembering that i just want to pick one and use it as an all rounder to simplify things.

cheers

Before entering this thread my thoughts were 1084 and 1187. You could go 1469 which will attenuate higher than 1187, whether that is better in your books is another thing.

Don't know if it's the most flocculent but it flocculates well and gets my vote for a pretty damned good yeast.

Is this the most flocculent English strain?

id bet on 1968 for that. Ive also used 1968 for these styles and have had positive results. As long as you dont run into under attenuation you end up with decent malty beers.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back