All Grain Equipment For Under $10

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave - keep going with what you have. The challenge is to make an AG beer for $10 or under. It maybe only used once....but im sure people will be able to use other bits n pieces once they get the idea.. keep going pal!
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Thanks to everyone else for their input.

Look i will try and pickup some of the white buckets as well today and show how to make them for guys wanting to spend a little more.

I will keep going and im currently finding out about the plastics (these buckets are made in NZ so should be able to get a definative awnser)

to be honest im realy having a hard time finding a thermometer also, but i will do this, even if i have to call it "THE PLASTIC FANTASTIC APA with that little some thing extra" lol

The food grade and the mayo buckets in our Grumpy kitchen have "5" written in the triangle.
No expert but I believe...
Triangle 5 is Polypropylene (PP)
Triangle 2 is High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)

Both are food grade. PP (Triangle 5) is better.

Happy to be corrected or confirmed.

Berazafi,
Sorry to contribute to the noise. Take the volume of noise as a compliment to your idea.
Sounds like it's a damn good idea to edit the initial post.
Regular readers will have to refer back.
:D

however my 10 dollar challange seems to be slipping away

Dont worry about it berazafi.

1 - I reckon you can still do it for under $10
2 - $10....$15.....even $20. I am still really interested.

Lets just see how you go.

I don't think a nail will do the trick any more though, it's tough plastic.

I for one will concede the nail. I have a drill and if I didnt, I would borrow one. Forget the nail.
In any case, you could heat the nail up holding it with some pliers..... but just use a drill.

Look i will try and pickup some of the white buckets as well today and show how to make them for guys wanting to spend a little more.

to be honest im realy having a hard time finding a thermometer also, but i will do this, even if i have to call it "THE PLASTIC FANTASTIC APA with that little some thing extra" lol

Go to a restaurant, well before service time (cause otherwise you will get a very bad reception), and offer to exchange a few bottles of home brew. It still counts as under $10.

Try the Supermarket baking section for a thermometer or "House" which is a homewares store and has cooking supplies. Im sure we got ours for under $10......Just hang on and i will give them a call.

There you go....they have a meat thermometer (40 - 85oC) for $7.95. Couldnt get the info on the baking thermomter but its range was 40 - 200oC and Im sure it was only about $12. I,d pay that or up the challenge price to $15. :)

cheers ATOMT :party:

Good news, i went and checked the bucket and they are made out of PP (the trangle symbol and the 5), there should be no reason why these cant be food grade, (its only the dye or if its recycled that may stop it), i have found a thermometer for $2.00 from a two dollar shop its range is 60-88 and i just checked it against a NATA calibrated reference at work and its seems to be within 0.5deg, i will post more later about the traps of these type of thermometers, and the best thing is it even came with a meat skewer so you dont even need to provide a nail

Anyway im going to edit the post to show the new purchase

Edit made to original post to show completed mash/lauter tun, i tested this with plain water and found a loss in temp of around 2 degs over 30mins

Excellent stuff so far, berazafi :beer:

Looking forward to the next installment ...Onwards and Upwards, GoodLuck!

For buckets..20lt..10lt..
Check out your local.. Bakery..Deli..Maccas..Hungry Jacks..Sandwich Bar..The fella selling ice creams at local markets..(Get mine for $2.00 off the ice cream man..Free at bakery..Free at deli..)Cubes at back of pub..
Whiskey,Rum..etc..20lt..Free..
Cheers
PJ

Yep PJ

If the guys that are attempting this can get there hands on the 20l white style buckets by all means do it

im actully having problems working out a way to get 30 or so litres of stuff to boil at the moment with only $4 left, but i will get there

I am trying not to rely on the get this free here etc as it can be hard to do

dave

Impressed with you dedication and willing to share. 100 Pts
Just a note using plastic buckets. Most plastics don't like hot water and give away toxins at around 77 degrees.
Jelous though
Matti

Yep PJ

If the guys that are attempting this can get there hands on the 20l white style buckets by all means do it

im actully having problems working out a way to get 30 or so litres of stuff to boil at the moment with only $4 left, but i will get there

I am trying not to rely on the get this free here etc as it can be hard to do

dave

I know of at least one brewer on this forum that has boiled her wort in a kettle on a wood fire.
That wouldn't cost much!
BTW, heads up on the rating of your plastic buckets :)
Cheers

being PP im hoping these buckets will be ok, as i said as long as they havent used bad recyled plastic or used a bad dye they will be fine as they are PP(rated to 120degC)

edit: realy bad spelling

Berazafi..
With 4 bucks left ..you will have to go to a garage sale..get a 2400w kettle for 2 bucks(like i did) Or tell the missus you need a new kettle...LOVE..
Check your friends that have a Pool..Steal their chlorine containers.(Make sure it is a .90 HDPE 46 lt..like mine)
put the element from kettle in chlorine container...instant boiler..(check out Google or Yahoo..cant remember which( "cd's old electric wort boiler" ) A wealth of info there...
Cheers
PJ.

Berazafi..
With 4 bucks left ..you will have to go to a garage sale..get a 2400w kettle for 2 bucks(like i did) Or tell the missus you need a new kettle...LOVE..
Check your friends that have a Pool..Steal their chlorine containers.(Make sure it is a .90 HDPE 46 lt..like mine)
put the element from kettle in chlorine container...instant boiler..(check out Google or Yahoo..cant remember which( "cd's old electric wort boiler" ) A wealth of info there...
Cheers
PJ.

PJ

I have a 50l and 3 ring burner sitting here (read first post), im trying to do this so as others can follow it, i need not to be relying on second had gear. Im going to try and get this to happen on the stove with pots you should already have, but im slowly thinking i may end up having to reduce this to a 15litre batch (all though that will be a bit of a cop out)

Won't a 15l batch be fine, if you just upp the amount of grain slightly? Ie.. concentrate it, then water down with another 5-7l at ferment time?

Cheers - Mike

Sorry Berazafi..

just another option..(but check out the link)(cd's old electric wort boiler)
Cheers
PJ

Problem is with 18l of space for the mash, i will strugle to get it high enought to be able to water down, any help would be great here though

Sorry Berazafi..

just another option..(but check out the link)(cd's old electric wort boiler)
Cheers
PJ

Cheer BJ, links didnt come through but im sure if anyone want to go this way it will be easier than muliple pots on the stove, the one thing i didnt promise about the $10 dollar method is the time it will take

This will be time consuming, but it will be cheap and hopfully produce a reasonble beer, but i think most it will educate the ease of the proccess, even with the worst possible gear in terms of ease

Dave

Latest posts

Back