All Grain Equipment For Under $10

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S. I take it that is a lauter tun you are making with the holey buckets? Correct?
Cheers
Steve

Yep it will be a combination mash tun/lauter tun, it should be finished tonight, just trying to minimise the temp loss

Some old polystyrene gaffer taped around it? Everyone has an old box in the shed with polystyrene in it? Dont they? :blink:
Cheers
Steve

I wonder how many recipes I'd get if I started a partials thread? As in people list their ingredients and what they did step by step?

Steve should be easier and cheaper than that, but yes that would be possibly better

Dave

I wonder how many recipes I'd get if I started a partials thread? As in people list their ingredients and what they did step by step?

Start one Drew - I was searching yesterday, took hours and probably got about 3 - and that included the pilsener from the "all grain or extract" thread. I'm sure everyone reading that marathon thread would be more than happy to help us out?
Cheers
Steve

I might add that for any Sydney brewers like myself who are thinking they'd like to try AG but wouldnt have a clue how to put together a mashtun, When corresponding with Northern District brewing, Gerard said that his soon to be releasing a cheap simple mashtun in the next few weeks.

Cheers.

Start one Drew - I was searching yesterday, took hours and probably got about 3 - and that included the pilsener from the "all grain or extract" thread. I'm sure everyone reading that marathon thread would be more than happy to help us out?
Cheers
Steve

I'd post a few.
I do what I have been increasingly calling mini-mini mashes, with what is becoming an increasing amount of grain, but always using extract, usually pale, for a lot of the wort.

That'd be great mate, cause deadset would love to do but have zero idea how to do the calculations necessary.

I might add that for any Sydney brewers like myself who are thinking they'd like to try AG but wouldnt have a clue how to put together a mashtun, When corresponding with Northern District brewing, Gerard said that his soon to be releasing a cheap simple mashtun in the next few weeks.

Cheers.

Drew i think you may be a little off topic here, there already is a mashtun and it costs <$4 and you make it with a nail, no tools required, did you not see the first post in this thread, if you want to post other comments in here such as recipies for partials etc and mash tun design can you post it in another thread, this thread is already turning into noise instead of the basic instruction i was hoping it would be

I apologise mate didnt see u'd edited original post.

I will try and post it all in the original post, to allow for one constant flow of information, by saturday night the post will be finished so probably check back then to see it all

I apologise mate didnt see u'd edited original post.

I will try and post it all in the original post, to allow for one constant flow of information, by saturday night the post will be finished so probably check back then to see it all

Saturday night!!!! C'mon chop chop - you do realise I was going to do my first AG on Saturday :p
Guess it'll have to be sunday now
Cheers
Steve

Hey Dave - much appreciate this thread man and the work you are doing? Just think what you build you could sell on ebay for $100!!! :lol:

Cheers.

Drew i think you may be a little off topic here, there already is a mashtun and it costs <$4 and you make it with a nail, no tools required, did you not see the first post in this thread, if you want to post other comments in here such as recipies for partials etc and mash tun design can you post it in another thread, this thread is already turning into noise instead of the basic instruction i was hoping it would be

hi berazfi,
I admire your endeavour and enthusiasm with this project and i might add that i tried a similar thing when I first started down the AG path. :)

I used similar buckets from the hardware store and found that the mash left a brown stain inside them after the mash. :( I was not sure of the suitability of the buckets and non food grade plastic absorbed the wort. I am also lead to believe that non food grade plastic leaches certain chemicals back into the wort at higher temperatures eg 66 deg c.

I tipped that first wort out and looked for a more suitable and safe method. :angry:

Drews comment may be a little off topic but a cheap mash tun that is supplied, by what we all would assume is a reputable supplier, may be a safer option and provide to more economical in the long run.

I got two food grade buckets from our local bakery for two long necks of a Boston Cream.

I have no affiliation with NDB or any supplier etc. etc

Cheers

dicko, point well taken I will continue on anyway with a disclamer, ive come this far, im not sure what these buckets are made out of as it doesnt say.

Excellent point I might add that I have no affiliation with ND Brewing either.

dicko, point well taken I will continue on anyway with a disclamer, ive come this far, im not sure what these buckets are made out of as it doesnt say.

Yes mate I couldnt identify the ones i had either.
I have since found out that food grade plastic has a code on the bottom in a triangle but i can't remember what the letters and numbers are supposed to be.
Cheers

I am actully doing some recherch atm and am trying to find the manufacture of the buckets, the funny thing is most food grade plastics are pourous (spelling)

Yes mate I couldnt identify the ones i had either.
I have since found out that food grade plastic has a code on the bottom in a triangle but i can't remember what the letters and numbers are supposed to be.
Cheers

Yep, the triangle with a 2 inside it, however this only tells of the plastic type and not if it has been recycled, apparently it has to be a certain range of plastic types, be non-recycled and not have bad chemicals in the dye (black is the only color that seems a problem), i will keep recherching and if not will have to use the white plastic ones, however my 10 dollar challange seems to be slipping away

The food grade and the mayo buckets in our Grumpy kitchen have "5" written in the triangle.

I don't think a nail will do the trick any more though, it's tough plastic.

A 3/32 drill bit will do the trick.

tdh

The food grade and the mayo buckets in our Grumpy kitchen have "5" written in the triangle.

I don't think a nail will do the trick any more though, it's tough plastic.

A 3/32 drill bit will do the trick.

tdh

Very True

The buckets i had were yellow and they got a brown stain.
The white ones from the bakery were a lot harder and no stain after use.
I have still got one of the white ones with an electric element that i use at times for heating water if necessary and after three years it is still in good nik.
Cheers

Back