All Grain Equipment For Under $10

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berazafi

Reaction score
Ok

As a AG brewer with a few brews already vanished from the keg i figure i might try and do something to help others.
Ive set a challange as i keep hearing on this forum All grain is to expensive and difficult. It does not have to be either, the only thing about all grain is its time consuming, but im sure doing kits and bits and extracts also gets time consuming once you start steeping grains etc

Tonight i will head to bunnings and kmart and hopefully aquire all that is needed, i will post up picks of the required equipment hopfully tommorow

I will post pics of the equipment and the cost and a method over the next couple of days

This will assume that people already have a few cooking pots and a 23L fermenter (to be used as in between liquid storage vessil)

I will also assume that you can use some very basic hand tools, or maybe possibly a drill

Im thinking i will do a APA for the recipe as they are easy to ferment without the need for specilty lager temperature equipment.

NOTE: PLEASE DONT BUY OR DO ANY OF THIS UNTIL I POST THE METHOD AND RESULTS

I will be slowly adding to this and want to do it and prove it before i get anyone to spend anything

Required tools

1 nail

THE_NAIL.JPG

Or the prefered tool a drill and about a 3-4mm drill bit

Recipe

4.5kg of Pale Malt (joe white) $2.5 (at most) per Kg
300grams of medium crystal

Get these crushed (store these as close as 18 degs as your house will allow, the closer you can get to this temperature the closer our final water temperature will be to correct when we add it to the grain

6 cascade hop plugs (plugs are important because no scales are required then) these are about $5.00bucks from www.craftbrewer.com.au

1 dried yeast pack $4.00 also from www.craftbrewer.com.au (i think you can get postage as low as $2.00 on these items

Equipment

4 buckets (9.8L) you can get these from bunnings $89c each

THE_BUCKETS.JPG

A thermometer $2.00 at the local $2 shop, the brand is Home innovations and the model number is KIT4314

( i checked this against a calibrated one at work and it was within 0.5degC which should good enough)

NOTES: these thermometers are not designed to be acurate when fully imerged, i found imerging just the stainless nose to give the best results, when i submerged another 50mm the readings went out to around +/-2degC

Also If you are serious about this hobby good temperature control is a must though all parts of the brewing procedure (eg fermentation), So i would recomend that you would invest \ in a decent quality temperature meter/thermometer.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Method

Take one nail, cover in some cloth to protect your hand and poke holes through the bucket, best to do this from the inside of the bucket as you will get a better flow of water ( i know the picture shows from the outside but its easier to get a pic this way)

BTW a big thanks to Steve for declaring he didnt have a drill and so making me do it by hand, when i had 2 cordless drills in reach :angry:

Well i have decided to drill out my bucket as well as i noticed the plastic had sort of closed over the holes overnight, i could have just re put the nail through the other way but could do it over again so got the drill out

POKING_THE_HOLES.JPG

Some pics showing the final product :super:

END_RESULT.JPG

INSIDE_END_RESULT.JPG

And the drill holes

DSCN3418.JPG

Next you want to find a box that will hold the two buckets, you may have noticed that i only drilled holes in two of the buckets.

With the other two buckets you want to get aluminium foil and wrap them

buckets_covered_in_alum.jpg

Then get some bubble wrap (your should be able to find this as scrap if not just use scrunched newspaper as shown further down

Place this as a layer on the bottom of the box

Box_with_some_bubble_wrap.jpg

Place buckets (without holes) in box and surround with paper, or bubble wrap

buckets_siting_in_box_with_bubble_wrap.jpg

you will notice in the next picture one of the buckets with holes in it sitting inside the other bucket, these buckets together and your box for the mashtun/lauter tun

the_finished_product_showing.jpg

Next step is the lid, cut a peice of a carboard box big enough to cover the top of the bucket

carboard.jpg

Then cover with aluminium foil

foil.JPG

This will then sit on top of each bucket in the box and you need to cover and tuck in two towels on top of each bucket

I did a test with water at 65degs in the bucket, it loses about 2deg per 30mins, this shouldnt be a problem with this recipe, but i will adress that when we get to the beer making part.

Pat yourselves on the back, you have just created a mash/lauter tun for under $4 using off the shelf stuff

Go bro.

Will be interested to see the results.

Cheers.

Looking forward to following this thread. I dont have a drill though :( I have some screwdrivers and a socket set :p
Cheers
Steve

AWSOME - go at it! Can't wait to see results. I am trying to do AG for under $100, however with the mash tun and taps I'm looking at going a bit over! The tun cost me close to $70 complete, so looking for other methods here to make up the difference! :beerbang:

Cheers - Mike

youd be better off with mayo buckets
they're bigger, so hold more mash, so don't cool down as quick

AWSOME - go at it! Can't wait to see results. I am trying to do AG for under $100, however with the mash tun and taps I'm looking at going a bit over! The tun cost me close to $70 complete, so looking for other methods here to make up the difference! :beerbang:

Cheers - Mike

Yep my setup cost about $120, but though i would post an el chepo method so people wanting to give it a go to see if its for them could Sorry i dont think i am going to be able to help you in the save dollars department, the idea of this post is to do it cheap, but stuff like a big boiler is very high on the list and you cant realy do that cheap. I will be able to do this under $10 and you will get a good very drinkable beer out of it, you will also learn the process by doing it and as i said work out what you want to buy and dont want to buy. I honestly couldnt imagine anyone doing 100 brews with this method

youd be better off with mayo buckets
they're bigger, so hold more mash, so don't cool down as quick

Would love to have got mayo buckets, but cant buy them under $10 bucks each, i could get them free im sure, but i originally said i would do it with off the shelf products.

I could have wrote a post along the lines of steal a keg from here, persuade the breadmaker here etc etc.

By the way those buckets are actully manufactured in NZ i couldnt belive it, thought for sure they would be chinese. If i can do it all without chinese product i will have to get points for that

Would love to have got mayo buckets, but cant buy them under $10 bucks each, i could get them free im sure, but i originally said i would do it with off the shelf products.

I get mayo buckets from Barnacle Bills in SA for $4 for the 20 odd litre jobbies.

I like the theme of your project though berazafi. Sort of like 'Dogme' for brewers.
:beerbang:

The canteen at tha Royal Adelaide Hospital regularly has 20L buckets on sale for $3.

They have often held things like sliced gherkin, but it is amazing what napisan, bleach and or phos can get rid of (sequentially, not combined, please!!).

And the money goes back through the nursing auxilliary to our major public hospital, which has to be a good thing too.

Great for storing upt to 5kg of speciality grain also - nice snap lock lids, with rubber lid seals.

Cheers - Mike

Yep my setup cost about $120, but though i would post an el chepo method so people wanting to give it a go to see if its for them could Sorry i dont think i am going to be able to help you in the save dollars department, the idea of this post is to do it cheap, but stuff like a big boiler is very high on the list and you cant realy do that cheap. I will be able to do this under $10 and you will get a good very drinkable beer out of it, you will also learn the process by doing it and as i said work out what you want to buy and dont want to buy. I honestly couldnt imagine anyone doing 100 brews with this method

Yeah, that's cool - I'm just really interested- even if it's a middle ground (ie.. 1 or 2 batches) until I find the right bargains. :chug:

Cheers - Mike

Love it Berazafi.

I have sort of been waiting for a thread like this. Not so much for the Super el-cheapo side although that will be interesting too, but to see the process from start to finish. Seeing how little it can be done for will of course also be very useful as I am skint as hell at the moment.

Having said that I do have an old keg.

Looking forward to the rest.

cheers

ATOMT

Nice to see this thread. AG can be a a bit of a challenge but having a great beer to drink every time is worth it. No twang!

Not sure if I can help at all here but a few ideas come to mind in hindsight and in line with this thread...

HLT - (Hot Liquor Tank) - This is simply what you heat water up in for mashing and sparging. I'd say you need 1 x 20 lt pot and 1 x 12/16lt pot which are cheap at the right places - Hardware House etc. Thin bottom doesn't matter - you are just heating or boiling water.

MLT - (Mash/Lauter Tun) - Not sure if this would work but you could use your existing fermenter and one of Ross's Jumbo Hop Socks. Tap fittings can be expensive so if this would work, you will save heaps.

To do the above, given HLT and MLT size, you will need to batch sparge which is easier to control than fly sparging. There is a big problem on AHB for us new to AG that no one specifies when they advise new AG'er's whether they are talking about fly or batch sparging and they are 2 totally different beasts.

In my opinion, based on what I have read and what I have tasted, I believe that batch-sparging is superior not just from its simplicity but also from the quality of beer it produces. I have written some detailed notes on this and so anyone who wants then should PM me rather than me posting here.

As said above, your kettle/pot is going to be your biggest worry. This is the biggest problem to solve in AG or any sort of brewing that requires boiling the wort. I have no advice here when it comes to saving money.

The other important thing is a thermometer. I have thermometers poking out my proverbial! All you need is a $10 thermometer from your LHBS. I'm talking about the concave stainles steel thermometers. I have found these to be highly accurate and reliable. Forget probes for now - they cost me a fortune.

....... Couple of other thoughts before I retire. A 3 ring burner ($35) from a camping shop will boil your wort excellently. I say exellently to emphasise that this is all you need. A NASA burner, in my experience, especially if you are batch sparging, will not speed up your boil, in fact, my 3 ring burner cannot keep up with my batching. NASA's are bloody noisy and probably more expensive - unsure about the expense.

OK, that's all for now. I'm away for a week or so but I'll look forward to seeing how you get on. Hope the above has been of some help. Make a decison now though as to whether you are a batch or fly sparger!

Cheers
Pat

Sensational berazafi! Following closely.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Sorry for saying I didnt have a drill!

P.S. I take it that is a lauter tun you are making with the holey buckets? Correct?
Cheers
Steve

Possibly if I can ever find time for 8 hours straight to do anything. But thats highly unlikely unfortunately.

P.S. I take it that is a lauter tun you are making with the holey buckets? Correct?
Cheers
Steve

Yep it will be a combination mash tun/lauter tun, it should be finished tonight, just trying to minimise the temp loss

Drew

A brewday takes me 4hours 30mins at the moment, this method i estimate will be done in 6. But i will let you know exactly after im finsihed.

Latest posts

Back