Alcohol Protects Men's Hearts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
Drinking alcohol every day cuts the risk of heart disease in men by more than a third, a major study suggests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8367141.stm

and further on in the article... In the UK, the recommendation is no more than two to three units of alcohol a day for women - the equivalent of one standard glass of wine - and three to four units for men.

The British Liver Trust said: "There have been several studies suggesting that small amounts of alcohol can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease in men over the age of 40.

"But these are often misinterpreted by people looking for a health reason to consume alcohol.

"If you want to look after your health, stay within the limits of no more than 3-4 units a day for men or 2-3 for women and aim to give yourself at least two days off alcohol a week.

:icon_cheers:

2 days off alcohol per week?? That'll never happen :icon_drunk:
Bowie

Yeah I keep telling myself to have a couple of alcohol free days per week but I so very much enjoy a glass or two of brew... My moral resolve to save my liver is too weak!

I've had my two days off this week, it's now time to protect my heart.

Having two boys under 4yrs, I find beer protects my sanity :p

cheers

Browndog

Coffee may well guard against Alzheimers, too. Up to 500mg a day (equivalent to 3-5 cups a day, depending on style) apparently.

Anywho, I've started bottling in stubbies as well as longies again after a bit of stuffing around. I find that sometimes I just want 1 beer in the evening, and opening a longneck sort of obligates you to have the whole thing. I'd agree that alcohol free days aren't a bad thing, and that reduced alcohol beers aren't so bad either - often I'd just like a 'beer' in the evening, without some of the alcohol that comes with it.

So, are they telling us what we already know, or what? Eh?

Cheers - boingk

2-3 days off per WEEK?
Yeah right- like that'll happen.
Before I moved here in July I lived a year in the Cook Islands- I managed 5 days off all YEAR :)
Fluid replacement was high on my priority list in the tropics

So, are they telling us what we already know, or what? Eh?

They're telling us what we already know, what common sense tells us and what every other study will tell us, that is, drink in moderation.

Andrew

Units = Jugs .. yes?
In that case im a little behind
Good thing its Friday i can make up for my lack of consumption

Tom

I suppose 3 big bottles ESB, 1 tallie of Foreign Extra stout and 3 stubbies of Baltic Porter, all homebrew betweeen 5.5 and 7.5%, was beyond moderation for my last session.
I've found that I can keep it down to moderation if I start drinking after 10pm, mostly.

Latest posts

Back