Alcohol-free Days - Do You Observe Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you observe at least two alcohol free days per week?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Most weeks

• Some weeks

• Where's the candy?

• Total voters
I believe what the doctor is saying is only true to the average person... clearly as brewers, we have a higher tolerance to the sacred drop. You may be able to move over that set limit?

However, if your having health issues, which is sad to know, maybe it is worth a try... see how you feel with the odd AFD?

Personally, I work a variety of jobs... teacher at an audio school, projectionist at at a cinema, and operate my own sound/lightling company on weekends.

I never drink before work, but occasionaly have a social one or two during work at a pub/club gig with my PA. Have to drive all the time so it is not worth the risk of being over the limit.

I do love a beer or two after a long day of teaching or with a few with friends... sometimes get a bit written off! Hard not to drink if you have a good batch of beer.

On average I'd say I have two days without a drop.

Every now and then I have two weeks of "strait edge." That is no drugs or junk food what so ever, caffine included. I know it seems a bit out there but I feel like shit for a day or two, then on top of the world for the rest. Usually I lager or CC in this time as I do it in the same fridge as my keg system is in.

It gives me more respect for the beer I put away after the detox. :party:

This is a really interesting poll ,I dont think my beers are very strong but I do drink everynight anything from a 500ml grolsch bottle to a couple of longnecks probably three on a Friday night or all Saturday.mainly before food .

more when Ross drops in !

I think that allowances should be made for home brew as I do believe it is much kinder on the system ,it does not give me a headache and an upset stomach .

Pumpy

I used to have 5 AFDs when I bottled. However now that I keg everything it is too easy to have a schooner or 2, after a long day at work. Now I stick to 2 AFDs a week, but it is a real effort.

I am sure my liver thanks me for this short respite

lets not get the afd movement going too far other wise we may have to change the web site to " ONCE WERE AHB BREWERS " :D

cheers
big d

If you add up the hours that I don't drink and divide by 24, then I have several AFD's per week.

Kai said:
If you add up the hours that I don't drink and divide by 24, then I have several AFD's per week.
[post="76957"][/post]​

Is that 7 days of 7 hours sleep that just slips you over 2 AFD's Kai?

The strange thing is since I have been working on setting up a microbrewery, I have been drinking less. 2 to 4 AFD's are not a problem lately.

Pedro

As some of you might know, earlier this year I had an attack of gout. This is a fantastic way for me to regulate my drinking. If I start to feel a painful tingle in my toe, I know its time to back off.

Mostly I have 1-2 beers a night, but nothing if I'm out on the bike.

Absolutely -- I find I observe 1 or two AFDs per week... from afar with a pint in my hand.

great poll with great responses.

i will have 2 (maybe more :( ) afd's a week. usually due to work since i am on-call 1 of 4 weeks. the wife and i rarely go out during the week so its easy to have only one or no beer at all.

going back about a year i was on shift work and wouldnt drink before night shifts or after. having done shift work for over 3 years, i would have to say the effects on the body from lack of sleep and messed up eating patterns was much worse than 99% of my drinking sessions. and most of the other 1% happened years ago while in the navy!!

also having had a stomach ulcer, my body will tell me if ive missed a few days of medication, or could use an afd or two. i am smart enough to listen now.
joe

My missus likes me to observe them havent been lately as works been stressing me something shocking all I can think of is beer.

Actually normally 1-2 per week as I run out of beer tues - wed

During the week Mon-wed(or thurs if I dont go out thurs) I'll probably say have between 2 or 4 cans to relax, homebrews a bit stronger so if I do probably 2 longnecks maximum per day, and on the weekends no limits drink when it stops having any effect basically.

But am hoping to start having 2 days per week off it strictly not just cause I run out and they will be tues-wed.

I have as few AFD's as being diabetic will allow :angry:

This equates to 5-6 :(

However, I have a good circle of friends who are keen to assist in demolishing my creations :D

When I'm crook with a cold I drink neat whiskey.
When I'm not drinking beer, I'm drinking wine.
I love big boozy lunches :)
I think I had a few AFD's when I was 17.

I usually have 3-4 AFDs per week and the other days it may only be a pint or two.
I have gone for weeks at a time before realising I haven't had a drink in that time. I think the record is about 5 weeks (but that included a few weeks of illness at the start).

Though I must say, now that I am working for two breweries, that sort of behavior is impossible!

OK it's time to confess. When I was in my early 20's I gave up drinking for about 2 years. No real reason. One weekend I was out and didn't drink. Next weekend I didn't drink. Not drinking became a habit and 2 weeks became 2 months and 2 months eventually became 2 years. Then one weekend for no reason in particular I just felt like a drink again.

Then there was a 3 or 4 year period in my late 20's and early 30's that I'll not discuss, mainly because I can't remember a lot of it. I think I had fun though!

No real reason to when and why I drink. One thing I do now is always have a low alcohol beer on tap, usually a Mild or Ordinary Bitter at about 3.5% - 3.8%. They still have loads of flavour which is what I'm interested in and it allows me to drink a couple of imperial pints and still stay within the recommended daily limits.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
OK it's time to confess. When I was in my early 20's I gave up drinking for about 2 years. No real reason. One weekend I was out and didn't drink. Next weekend I didn't drink. Not drinking became a habit and 2 weeks became 2 months and 2 months eventually became 2 years. Then one weekend for no reason in particular I just felt like a drink again.

[post="77085"][/post]​

Sounds like Forrest Gump. :p

in the past i have tried mon-wed as AFD but find it difficult with the kegerator sitting in my garage. I have tried a brewing rotation where i try and brew an oridnary not very drinkable beer but it never works. There all great!!!

i may be lucky too have an afd a month if that i will drink about 2 to 3 stubbies a day but now i have to be carefuls since i found out i like the belgain ales

I don't think it counts when you're still metabolising alcohol from the night before.

Latest posts

Back