Did I just create bottle bombs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so i have been brewing on and off for a few years now and have been lucky enough to avoid bottle bombs but after bottling my latest batch im not too sure how long the clean sheet will stay intact. It was also my first attempt at a mid strength and cold crashing so not sure what impact these techniques usually have.

The Batch:
Beermakers Draught Kit Can
Yeast Safale US-05
Golden Cluster Hops (steeped and added at beginning of brew)
500grams dextrose/malt mix from local home brew shop
OG - 1030
FG - 1008
Brewed in temp controlled fridge @ 18C for over a week and had consistant FG readings over last 3 days and then dropped fridge to 2C for further 4 days.

Before bottling i raised the fridge back up to 18C (I read that too cold might mess with the secondary fermentation).

Ok so by all accounts this seemed like a regular brew, as it was the first mid strength ive tried i checked an online calc using the OG and FG and figured it to be about 2.9% alcohol which is about what i was aiming for so im thinking its all good.

My issue though is when putting the carbonation drops (2 per longneck) the beer bubbled up quite rapidly and overflowed on occasion as if opening a shaken up bottle of soft drink. I just shrugged it off at the time as everything pointed to the beer being done and finished bottling. Its only looking back that im thinking 'uh-oh'.

The beers are back in the temp controlled fridge @ 18C so are safe enough if they do explode but just wanted to know if anyone can point something out that i have missed.

Thanks in advance

You put sugar into warm beer?

That was the cause of the gushing. It's fine to prime cold - just let the bottles warm up once capped and next time put the sugar in first (or research bulk priming).

Unless you added dry enzyme, I'd guess 1008 should be finished with those ingredients.

Put the sugar into the bottle first. Your bottles gushed because the sugar passing through the beer caused some of the absorbed CO2 to be released, so you probably have slightly less pressure in the bottle than if the beer had not gushed.

Phew, i thought it should be ok - i will let you know anyway.

Ive looked into bulk priming before but didnt really want to attempt it as i only have the one fermenter

FYI they have been bottled up four about 5 days now with still no explosions so hopefully im in the clear.

Good idea to always bottle a batch into one or two PET bottles, which are then kept with the glass bottles so you can monitor the carbing level of the batch in the first few weeks/months.

This way if any of the PET bottles get really hard and actually start to stretch out of shape, then you may have made some bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back