Alcohol-free Days - Do You Observe Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you observe at least two alcohol free days per week?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Most weeks

• Some weeks

• Where's the candy?

• Total voters
sluggerdog said:
Up until around 4-6 weeks ago I would never have an AFD or maybe 1-2 per month max.

However I have just started (4-6 weeks ago) to only drink on weekends + friday nights and have never felt better. So now 4-5 AFD per week.

[post="76792"][/post]​

Same here, been on a bit of a health kick of late and feel the same. Granted exercise, etc., is helping but only 3 or 4 pints Friday night and weekends.

Usually 2 to 4 a week. Sometimes I'll have half a dozen glasses a night, sometimes none. No real pattern or planning - just what I feel like at the time.

Folks

From the sounds of it I'm an drinking amateur. I generally don't drink Mon->Thur though in the last few months I have been having one at the pub on a Monday night after my sword class (never before swords.. waving a broadsword around is not something you want to do after a drink or 2). So that makes it 3 AFDs per week and even on drinking nights I usually keep it to 3 beers (or equivalent).

Guess I'm another one who drinks for the flavour rather than the effects.

Cheers
Dave

Interesting results on the poll. It seems most people mostly have regulation AFD's, which is good.

From the advice the doc gave me, alcohol is a bowel irritant. No matter how tough your guts, drinking every day and not giving your stomach, intestines and liver a couple of AFDs per week to recover will reduce the length of your drinking career. As hard as it sometimes is, I think I'll start observing these AFDs religiously.

AndrewQLD said:
The aggravation my snoring causes the wife has encouraged me to abstain 3 nights a week, usually Monday, Wednesday and thursday. And it has helped my sleeping patterns to improve as well :) . Sunday and tuesday is usually 3-4 pots, Friday and Saturdays are generally entertainment nights so a few more get downed.

Andrew
[post="76772"][/post]​

As far as the thread is concerned, I drink about 1.5 L a day or in another words two tallies, one at lunch and one just befor dinner. I tried AFD's, I found no difference. I seemed to make up the loss on the days I got back to it. I have no idea what will happen when shortly I will be on kegs...

As regards snoring, I solved that some time ago. My wife snored so much that I moved to a spare room, now both of us are happy and have a good night sleep.

:chug:
PeterS....

My last AFD was on my recent trip to Libya, drinking Becks alcohol free beer for 3 days Arrrrrgh - Arrived back at Gatwick airport (London) & had 4 pints of "Pedigree" in the bar before heading home - God they tasted good :D :D

I am retired and would find it hard to have an AFD ,

Beer o'clock is 5 pm , never before , except if I go out for lunch ( one every couple of months )

usually have 4 drinks , sometimes all beer , usually 1 beer and three wines with dinner

have reduced ( by half ) to this point about 1 month ago , so easy to excess when you do not have to get up in the morning

Rod

I generally dont drink Mon-Thu, but make up for it on the other days.
But with summer coming on it is harder to not drink Mon-Thu.

Rook

No! For 40+years... No.
(perhaps a few accidental ones when sick or worse)

phew! thanks for responding Tony M - I was starting to feel like a lonely old alco!

MAH said:
A couple nights a week I do some fairly strenuous exercise and lose a lot of fluids.
[post="76788"][/post]​

LOL .... so they call it exercise now ?!?! :blink: :lol:
sorry MAH reading that had me rolling on the floor :) I've been told I have a small mind.

I probably drink 6 nights a week, but have started to make sure I help the liver a bit. In recent times we were having a fair few pub lunches at work (1 - 2 pints), and for about a month i was having a few beers with a mate after work, and then going on to play basketball. Funnily enough it made me play better, but geez it killed me by the end of the game. I've since stopped that rather silly practice. Now I try and have mineral water at lunches.

During the weeks I would rarely have more than 2 pints (and if i do it would be 3), and I don't binge drink anywhere near as much as I used to (funny what having kids does to you). I also make sure i drink a few litres of water a day which has an amazing affect on myenergy levels.

I used to have about 2 pints a night. I'm trying not to drink during the week now. Go HARD on the weekend. I know binge drinking isn't good for the body but having a couple every night is giving me a bit of a spare tyre around the mid section.

I dont really plan to have AFD's, but they do happen a couple of times a week. I am a pretty moderate drinker usually (apart from my 33 nights straight when O/S), and rarely drink more than 4-5 longnecks a week. A far cry from my early 20's when I averaged half a carton 5 nights a week! That was around a thousand litres a year, probably harmful by anyones standards, especially considering it was VB or tooheys Red :eek:. So now its anywhere from 2-5 AFD's a week, but I drink for the taste now anyway.

Two AFDs in the last year, I remember them both being very long days, a two pot day is a low beer day for me.
I am sure [on this forum] I am not alone. :beer: one down and ? to go.

Generally I do observe two AFD's a week.

The exception is weeks of beer festivals and the like. Sometimes I'll go all out, drinking every night for a week. Some weeks I wont touch any during the week.

It all averages out ;)

I work nights so I get Monday to Wednesday off the beer, but sometimes I have one on Thursday if work's been a bustard (and the cricket's on...)

Have 2-3 schooners most Friday/Saturday/Sunday, more if people are around.

My last hangover was after the Springboks beat the ABs in SA and I got plastered in disgust....can't remember the last one before that, probably last year sometime.

Baz

It depends on how I feel.
Last year I was probably having one or two afd's a week. This year I am having more due to the fact that I just dont feel like drinking that much.
Its not planned but does happen.
I think I went a whole week without any drink at all a while back.

johnno

johnno said:
I think I went a whole week without any drink at all a while back.

johnno
[post="76871"][/post]​

Heresy!

Actually i'm starting to have a coupld of forced AFD's a week for some of the same reasons as Post Modern.

And giving up the cancer sticks too.

Boots said:
MAH said:
A couple nights a week I do some fairly strenuous exercise and lose a lot of fluids.
[post="76788"][/post]​

LOL .... so they call it exercise now ?!?! :blink: :lol:
sorry MAH reading that had me rolling on the floor :) I've been told I have a small mind.

Geez, boots. I didn't even think that :lol:

It's looking like today isn't one of those AFD's, not after an ESB, a glass of inner circle rum and a RIS.

Confronting a few beer accentuated health issues at the moment myself.

Discussions with the doctor suggested I wasn't quite "ready" for AFDs at the moment :huh: . So I am building down to them.

Had an AAFD on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back