Ahhhhh Beer Cordial!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojai

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Just wondering, how many times can you reuse a PET bottle lid? I have used my lids for 2 brews and they seem to be leaking air on the third. I guess that's my question answered, use them for 2 brews. But I haven't opened all the bottles from my most recent brew so I am still hoping I've just been unlucky with the few I've opened.

Oh and while I'm asking questions, where is the best place to buy a fermenter? HBS? I've also heard hardware stores sell them, are they cheaper?

Cheers,
Joseph.

Hey gang,
Just wondering, how many times can you reuse a PET bottle lid? I have used my lids for 2 brews and they seem to be leaking air on the third. I guess that's my question answered, use them for 2 brews. But I haven't opened all the bottles from my most recent brew so I am still hoping I've just been unlucky with the few I've opened.

Oh and while I'm asking questions, where is the best place to buy a fermenter? HBS? I've also heard hardware stores sell them, are they cheaper?

Cheers,
Joseph.

Ive used my pet bottle lids more times than I can remember with no trouble....so yeah more than twice. When cleaning yours are you putting them in boiling water and maybe distorting the shape of the lid somehow with the heat? HBS's are usually a good place to start for fermenters though hardware stores such as bunnings do sell buckets with a lid and tap and are fine as fermenters. They are usually cheaper too.
Cheers
Steve

Heaps Cheaper... You techincally don't need the airlock that comes with most HBS fermeters, just go the gladwrap with a few pinpricks in it and rubber band it over the top.

I bought a LHBS fermenter kit (30L fermenter, Thermometer, Airlock) for $45.

Go to Bunnings/Kmart and you'll get a 30L fermenter for under $25 and a stick on thermometer from kmart will set you back $5 - with the savings you could punch out a cheapy brew!
:D

camping shops are pretty good too for cheaper fermentation buckets/containers, hoses etc.

I just drilled a hole in the lid for a grommet and air lock.

kev

Hey,
I don't use boiling water no, I'm a bit scared I'll get plastic in my beer if I heat the bottles too much, so I sanitize with that coopers powder stuff. But I will have a look to see if the rubber is still hugging the top tightly, maybe I just didn't screw it on tight enough.

Awesome, and these buckets, they have taps in the bottom? Are they just those big containers used for water when you're out camping? Easy done, I'll go check out Ray's Outdoors first since it's closer (and I don't have a license :S), then Bunnings.

ps. I'll pass on the stick on thermometer, waste of money IMO, from using my immersion thermometer on hydrometer samples the stick on is always around 4C higher. (And I've collaborated my immersion thermometer recently so I know it's pretty spot on).

Cheers :)

EDIT: duh, you said the buckets have taps. Silly me.

EDIT: duh, you said the buckets have taps. Silly me.
They are like this...except mine aren't solid white, they are translucent.
Easy to clean and the lid seals nice and tight.

Bucket.jpg

Last time I was at Bunno's they had water containers with a screw down lid (identical to a fermenter) for like $15 for a 25-30L job. They were moulded for a tap but just came with a plug. If you want a tap its a massive $2 extra, they are usually on the shelf next to the containers.

As for the airlock, you can buy an airlock and a grommet, you can go the glad wrap with a pin prick or I've heard of guys just drilling a hole in the lid and covering it with a bottle top.

From what I've learnt, anything with "homebrew" written on it, or made for HB is expensive. Stuff thats made for mass market and can be adapted for HB is cheap. Economy of scale.

That sounds the goods, Bunnings it is then :) Might have to get 2 more! Thanks :)

I'm off to Bunnings in 20 mins to get a 20l cube for lagering, will report on what is available in the various shapes and sizes.

I bought 2 fermenters from bunnings the other week. $15 each, 25L, $2 a tap i just use gladwrap and the black rubber seal, no need for pin pricks and 3 less things to sanitize.

Interesting.

Im currently brewing my 1st beer ever and am only 4 days into fermenation. I was looking at getting a secondary bucket for bulk primming and bottling.

I will certainly go have a look @ bunnings for a bucket and see how we go.

Interesting.

Im currently brewing my 1st beer ever and am only 4 days into fermenation. I was looking at getting a secondary bucket for bulk primming and bottling.

Apologies to previous poster, was late getting to Bunnings but have now bought a 20 L jerry can for lagering for $21. there are 25 L similar for about $23. However if you aren't looking for a rectangular container, the barrel shaped 25 L for $15 are absolutely ideal for bottling. I have an identical vessel that I use (paid $26 from LHBS <_< ) and you always have a spare fermenter if you want to do a quick catch up brew. Of course with the Bunnings there's no hole for an airlock but you can use glad wrap.

Hint for bottling, get a length of hose long enough to go from the tap of the primary into the secondary and 'wrap around' in the bottom so that the beer swooshes around in a whirlpool to minimise splashing, and get hose that fits on the outside of the tap, not the inside, and the brew will transfer far more quickly.

Interesting.

My first bulk prime (2nd brew) was a disaster

I suggest bottle priming till ya get that down pat, then move forward

+1 - Just use carb drops for a few brews then when you get onto bulk priming you'll discover "wow this is cheap and easy" :icon_cheers: But as Finners says, keep it as simple as possible for a while, then the bug will bite. Bunnings is still going to be there in a month or two :lol:

Latest posts

Back