Ahb Wiki: The No-chiller Method / Using A Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't the first 5-10 minutes the hot wort spends sitting in the cube keep the hops working for an extended time and alter the IBU readings?? Like all your hop additions are going to get an extra 5-10 mins cooking. Take for example the 5 min hop addition would be still sitting in a near boiling wort for another 5 or so mins and therefore it would become a 10min+ hop addition creating a higher IBU reading. With the chilled method the wort is at least cooling off very quickly and eradicates that problem. I know that recipes formed in Brewmaster the IBU's alter significantly when you tick no chill and I'm led to believe it is for that very reason. interested to see what you think?

Have a look through the many many threads where this has been discussed. Basically find out what works for you and your system and adjust your recipes as needed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww....amp;x=0&y=0

Wouldn't the first 5-10 minutes the hot wort spends sitting in the cube keep the hops working for an extended time and alter the IBU readings?? Like all your hop additions are going to get an extra 5-10 mins cooking. Take for example the 5 min hop addition would be still sitting in a near boiling wort for another 5 or so mins and therefore it would become a 10min+ hop addition creating a higher IBU reading. With the chilled method the wort is at least cooling off very quickly and eradicates that problem. I know that recipes formed in Brewmaster the IBU's alter significantly when you tick no chill and I'm led to believe it is for that very reason. interested to see what you think?

Hello Hellbent,

I have taken on consideration the no chill for the hop and I have move my hope schedule 20 minutes late.

In fact for the first couple of day it smells very good hoppy aroma but now

On Saturday I will move to secondary for dry hopping I will taste a little bit.

My hop schedule is like that: 60 minutes move to 40 and 30 to 10

14,00 g Ahtanum [3,91 %] - Boil 60,0

14,00 g Chinook [12,00 %] - Boil 60,0

25,00 g Ahtanum [3,91 %] - Boil 30,0

15,00 g Chinook [12,00 %] - Boil 30,0

26,00 g Chinook [12,00 %] - Dry Hop

12,00 g Ahtanum [3,91 %] - Dry Hop

12,00 g Nelson Sauvin [12,00 %] - Dry Hop

12,00 g Simcoe [13,50 %] - Dry Hop 10,0 Days Hop

Also Im thinking now that the wort has only boiled for about 50 minutes, I dont know if that could be a problem. Also some time it has boil with the lid on (I know now that can cause some problems that).

Thank you very much for your help.

Don't boil with the lid on. Sulphur and "rotted" could be DMS which no chill might exarcebate if other factors in your process weren't up to scratch.
Ok to bring to the boil with lid on but once boiling, boil with the lid off and boil for at least 60 minutes with the wort moving constantly from the boil.
HDPE will soften a little with hot wort - that's normal.

Don't boil with the lid on. Sulphur and "rotted" could be DMS which no chill might exarcebate if other factors in your process weren't up to scratch.
Ok to bring to the boil with lid on but once boiling, boil with the lid off and boil for at least 60 minutes with the wort moving constantly from the boil.
HDPE will soften a little with hot wort - that's normal.

Do you think I could drink it or better throw it away right now?

Ok, on Sunday will try another batch and follow your advices.

Thank you.

Do you think I could drink it or better throw it away right now?

draw a sample off and taste it

if it tastes and smells like "beer" (warm flat beer in a good way not yesterdays stale beer ) then let it ferment some more

At least ferment it out and see. Some dms may be scrubbed out by co2 during fermentation.

Thank you guys I will do that and tell you what has happend finally with the beer in a few days.

I think some people just really want to throw away a batch sometime! :rolleyes:

At least ferment it out and see. Some dms may be scrubbed out by co2 during fermentation.

Its been 8 days fermenting but it smells really bad, I will throw it away tomorrow morning.

Well, too bad for me, I wont do that mistake any more, I hope. :wacko:

Thank you for the help.

I think some people just really want to throw away a batch sometime! :rolleyes:

Yes that's why I have done it, here in Spain just started the "Brew Masters" show from discovery channel and I'm doing like DogFish, always throwing a batch for some reason :D .

Cortez The Killer said:
This is the discussion topic for article: The No-Chiller Method / Using A Cube

I wrote this article up yesterday for the wiki about no-chilling. There always seems to be interest in the topic amongst new brewers and there didn't appear to be any article in the wiki covering it. Nor is there a succinct thread about the method.

Also for some reason a discussion topic was not automatically created. Mods please move this into the Wiki forum - I can't start a thread there myself.

Cheers
Hi Cortez,

Thanks for the wiki creation. I am a n00b to AG (count at zero currently) but looking to get some skills. I think this could be a good article for me but the link does not seem to work. Can a get the link from somewhere else?

Dowley

Hi Cortez,

Excellent article. Im very interested in trying the no chill option. With your personal experiance with the method have you found that you have needed to adjust your hop schedule by for example 10-20 mins as discussed on other forums or have you brewed using conventional recipes designed for chiller use?

Thanks

Matt

I have for the last couple of years stuck with 60 10 0 minute additions

I tried cube hopping but didn't like the grassiness that it would give

With the flame out addition I'll turn off the power throw the hops in and stir hard and let it sit for 10mins before racking off into a cube

I found the hop presence is more pronounced this way

I don't adjust for bitterness, but while I'm partial to hop forward beer, I can't say I'd regard the potential extra bitterness from no chill significant

Here are some recipes of what I've been brewing lately they'll probably better explain what I am trying to achieve more so than me crapping on

http://hyperfox.info/allgrain01.htm#100

Cheers

Thanks Cortez for this useful article. I noticed a bunch of people talking about cubing on the forums and wasn't too sure what they meant until reading your wiki.

I like the idea of having a wort or two prepared before brew day. I run two fermenters now and even though I am only extract brewing and mini-mashing at the moment it still takes a lot of time getting two brews down in one day. I can see that just adding a prepared cubed wort to the FV and pitching the yeast would make these special days far easier for me.

My question; can I use this method for extract and mini-mash worts? I have a couple of 10lt cubes laying around, and my worts are rarely bigger than 8lts; could I just pop them into these 10lt cubes and just top up to full volume with water on the brew day?

Everyone else using this method seems to be AG brewers which is why I ask.

You would need to top up the cubes to the top, but if you use boiling water then that's out of your "top up" allowance anyway. Personally I wouldn't leave an air space that could have nasties in it.

I don't see an issue with the method for extract / mini mash as long as everything going into the cube has been boiled. I do not believe headspace is an issue. I occasionally put 19L batches in 25L cubes.

A while ago I was using 15L cubes, making higher gravity wort and watering down to 19L. And from memory I was just using tap water to top up in the fermenter.

Cheers

Has anyone tried chill-cubing? i.e. chilling down to say 50°C to address the bitterness and late hop offsetting which is the major challenge when no-chill cubing and following recipes.
I really like the convenience of having my brew in the cube, mainly so that I can get it to pitching temp accurately in the fridge as well as making sure my yeast is ready.

Main risk I see is infection. Major benefit is as above but also using substantially less water for chilling. If people have done it numerous times without fault then I might give it a whirl. If nobody's tried it... I might give it a whirl.

Please don't suggest I work on getting my hop additions right in the first place - I'm already doing this and isn't the point of the query. Just curious.

Latest posts

Back