AHB Trusted Opinions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust NickJD's opinion, but only those added in the last week or so. :ph34r:

Good luck Blackened. There is plenty of chaff to sort through on here. There is quite a bit of chaff on offer in a yeast related thread right now.

Some of the best advice on this forum comes from those who are also prone to shit-stirring.

Case in point, NickJD offered some really good advice, but was also often in the middle of many of the arguments that I saw. However, unless he was writing abusive emails to the admins, his ban was heavy-handed. His shared information far outweighed any negative aspects of his contributions to the forum, and I find it odd that the staff who are supposed to nurture and support the hobby of homebrewing through effective moderation, cut off a valuable font of knowledge for homebrewers.

People seem to forget he also did stuff like tell new brewers that two tins of Canadian Blonde would make an IPA.

donburke said:
was it truman ?

(just playing statistics)
No it wasn't me.

I know who to listen to as they know what they're talking about, and who's full of shit.

bum said:
People seem to forget he also did stuff like tell new brewers that two tins of Canadian Blonde would make an IPA.
Holy crap, I've been doing it wrong for yonks!

There is lots of good advice on here, you just have to find it. Quite a few of the really helpful guys have moved on unfortunately (I'm not refering to Speedy)

I remember getting some good advice from Hoppy2B ages back. This was taken off the thread and into a PM since people tend to start flame wars everytime somebody disagrees with them. There is very little stomach for meaningful respectful diagreement and head butting here. If we all agreed, why would we argue! Even a flawed argument can be dissected for insight and if the presenter is agreeable that is discussed further with them.

In total response to the OP, I refuse to name people. The guys that have given me sound advice over time don't advertise a Helpdesk around their necks. Do your digging and someone will likely respond based on how much spoon feeding is required.

Ok, I will list a few members who have given their time and helped me improve my brewing immensely either via PM or in person-

Tony, Nev, Screwtop, Dent, Bribie, Manticle, Cocko (mainly with karma-sutra positions), Bizier. There are many, many others whose advice is amazing such as Thirsty Boy , MHB and Butters.

Cheers.

Do your digging and someone will likely respond based on how much spoon feeding is required.
Read: Do your OWN research, then come & bounce-it off others for expertiential feedback. Then go & try it & eventually, you'll be the one giving experiential feedback.

See how it works?

Here's a few from the top of my head:

Weizguy, MHB, Thirsty Boy, Bribie G, Ross, Tony, Manticle, and Dr Smurto.

And from further back, Trough Lolly, and Trent.

There may be others, but I can't recall at present.

Go to the "What are you listening to?" thread and only take advice of the brewers who listen metal.

Manticle, Qld Kevin, Bribie, Ross, Screwy, Batz, Rdjevun, winkle, NickB have all given me good advice. There are plenty of others as well. I learnt heaps from the Wiki articles. It was NickJD's AG for $30 thread that got me started though. Then Goombas variation to that squared it all away for me. Just read as much as you can. I reckon you can tell the blokes that know what they are talking about there is a lot more depth and reasoning to their advice.

1. Look at the post count. Thats what is important. The more posts, the more one knows and the better the advice.

BUT

2. If they're from Qld, the sun has fried their brains. May lead early, but will fade
3. If they're from Vic - they only like Carlton, so their advice is dodgy at best. Place bet only
4. Sth Australia - too busy fighting with each other. May not get out of the barrier
5. NT ? even with temp control the lowest they can ferment at is 64°C - Look elsewhere
6. If they're from W.A. - ha, you don't need to be told. All long shots from the WA stable.
7. Tas - International advice is the worst. Eddie the Eagle is Superman there. Save your cash for Christmas.

That leaves the combined force of NSW & ACT. Australias Premier state, combined with The Nations Capital.
Everyone from here is right. If they are not right, they're still more right than the others.

8. Never take advice from me.

AndrewQLD said:
The Op asked a fair question, can we please stay on topic
Is this the new AHB where threads stay on topic ? :0

As for real advice, always listen to Hargie and Dr K

Few of them seem to post much anymore.

People who helped myself and many others over the years with either direct advice or well explained posts and articles include (but not limited to): Screwtop, Butters, ///, Kai, Ross, Pistol Patch, Thirsty Boy, MHB, DrK (when he's not bagging no-chill or writing cryptic crossword puzzles), Brewer Pete, Airgead, Nige62, Domonsura, Tony, Batz, Dent, Wessmith, Zwickel, Lez the weizguy, Dr Smurto, Rdjevun, Big-Fridge.

Kai troester posts here very ocassionally and his advice would be worthy of consideration in my book. I'd also take brun'gard seriously, especially in relation to water.

From before my time but posts worth reading: Postmodern, Pint of Lager.

Others who don't post loads of advice but I consider them as people who know what they are doing, others I would have missed. Mainly people who brew a lot and seem to consider the whys and wherefores critically. People who accrue brewing knowledge and do their best to put it into practice so they can advise from both a theoretical and practical perspective whenever possible. People who will consider alternative ways of doing things, are respectful of new brewers and realise not every beer has been brewed, not every method tested and not one way is right. Add the latter to people who know their arse from their elbow and you just about have it.

None of the above posters (nor any poster) would I suggest listening to without a critical mind. Find out the info, consider it, put it into practice, see what works for your brewing.

Plenty of people I haven't listed who will advise from their depth of experience in a polite, measured manner and are well worth discussing stuff with. Felten, Felon, warra, bribie all good.

warra48 said:
Here's a few from the top of my head:

Weizguy, MHB, Thirsty Boy, Bribie G, Ross, Tony, Manticle, and Dr Smurto.

And from further back, Trough Lolly, and Trent.

There may be others, but I can't recall at present.
+1

I'd put Pistol Patch in that group, for the work he did in getting the whole BIAB thing going.

Back