AHB Trusted Opinions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
This was my first thought when the thread was created and I've been holding my tongue until now but the last people I would trust are those who offer their help only through PM. They don't have enough faith in their knowledge to stand up to the possibility of dissent and want direct kudos from anyone who reads it. Cowards and egoists all.

[EDIT: typo]
Totally disagree. It's not that those members read the forum and think 'Oh, I might PM this person with that problem and give him my advise'. It's exactly the other way round. Truman is interested in oxygenating wort before fermentation, finds out that Screwy has done some research on it and seems to know a lot about the subject and decides to PM him directly to ask a question as it is likely that Screwy might not see a new thread that Truman otherwise would start.

I have done the same as Truman (just taking you as example here, mate) and I also receive a fair amount of questions via PM from members. In that case I answer via PM, and if I think it's something substantial that hasn't been mentioned before I then post it in the relevant thread as well for others to possibly benefit from.

practicalfool said:
Good on you.
Bullshit.

practicalfool said:
it does make you sound like a self important whinging fool at times.
Perhaps I should focus on more practical advice? ;)

practicalfool said:
Can't play with mud and not get some on your hands.
Not whinging. Play with the bull - you get the horns.

Florian said:
Totally disagree. It's not that those members read the forum and think 'Oh, I might PM this person with that problem and give him my advise'. It's exactly the other way round. Truman is interested in oxygenating wort before fermentation, finds out that Screwy has done some research on it and seems to know a lot about the subject and decides to PM him directly to ask a question as it is likely that Screwy might not see a new thread that Truman otherwise would start.

I have done the same as Truman (just taking you as example here, mate) and I also receive a fair amount of questions via PM from members. In that case I answer via PM, and if I think it's something substantial that hasn't been mentioned before I then post it in the relevant thread as well for others to possibly benefit from.
If that was what I was talking about then I would agree with you completely. I assure you I am not talking about people seeking direct input from others - that's what PMs are for.

bum said:
That's all fine with me. What I mean is that there is a particularly simple type of member who always likes to point out that they have received help from the special members who don't post here anymore. I assume that these simpletons are the tip of the iceberg and the silent brotherhood offer the secret knowledge to other members as well. Perhaps this is not the case and I am assuming this occurs far more often than it does in reality.
sounds like one of the more absurd theories I've heard here for a bit.

I didn't deliberately ignore your post.

Truman said:
Just long term members sick of bullshit but still want to offer their advice and knowledge on brewing to others.
Select others. And not others that may search for answers for the same questions later. Weak as piss.

I ask again - what is it about reading but not posting that protects them from this "bullshit". It seems to me that this method prevents them from shoveling it away.

(I don't mean that I am asking you, Truman. I know these guys still read the board. I want them to ask the question of themselves.)

manticle said:
sounds like one of the more absurd theories I've heard here for a bit.
One of the recipients of said secret knowledge doesn't seem to think so.

It sounds only reasonable that secret forums would also have secret handshakes.

This thread has obviously gone down the wrong path.
I just wanted to point out that Screwy was very helpful to me when i first started. Really went out of his way to pass on his knowledge.

Other than that manticle, yob and bum are quite helpful in answering questions i ask (usually about a brew day catastrophe)

Long term members often drop out because they have an understanding and skill set of the process they use and enough knowledge to investigate and explore new processes without referring to what is mostly very basic and repetitive info on forums. In other words, it gets boring.

Case in point for me is fishing. I was every day on fishing forums years ago like am now on here. I was learning new techniques, honing skills and exploring new ways to think about what i was doing and new ways to explore further on my own. Without sounding like saying 'now i know everything' i now have enough knowledge that i have an in depth understanding of what i regularly do, enough basic knowledge and experience to think through new developments and indeed develop new methods myself, and enough understanding of the process and the right contacts that if there is anything i need to know about a new process that's just hitting the scene i know which people in which areas to ring and have a chat to.

I'm definately not at that stage with brewing after 30+ years brewing beer as i've only been putting thought into it for 18 months.

So I think in conclusion we can all assume that long termers drop out for many different reasons.

• Some hate the constant repetitive noob posts, while others dont mind it. (Bum Ive noticed too that you do answer a lot of noobs and help them out :beerbang: )

• Some are sick of the bullshit from the Google Brewers and drunken wankers. :ph34r:

• Some have brewed long enough that they dont feel the need to frequent the forums (selfish bastards what about the noobs :D )

• And some move on to other things, have kids, change jobs, get busy in their lives etc.

That sums it up when I used to post a lot it was because I was learning. The more you know, the less you need to investigate...

Although it would perhaps be too elitist, a sub forum for experienced brewers may engage many long term members. You would not have to trawl through 'my air lock is not bubbling', or 'is my beer infected' threads, but instead talk about new innovations, experiences, ingredients, techniques etc.

Ducatiboy stu said:
And one wonders how we got here in the first place.....
Just trying to lighten things up a bit Stu. If that was directed at me, then I apologise. I enjoy some of these threads, but they can get a bit intense, and humor has always been my way of dealing with things.

Latest posts

Back