AHB Trusted Opinions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Devil Dog said:
+1

I'd put Pistol Patch in that group, for the work he did in getting the whole BIAB thing going.
Just reading the posts since mine has made me realise how many I forgot to mention!

Manticle gave a pretty good list of helpful people, add him in there aswell and Wolfy for yeast related stuff.

Generally I use their advice to guide further research, and even then what works for some don't work for others.

manticle said:
Few of them seem to post much anymore.

People who helped myself and many others over the years with either direct advice or well explained posts and articles include (but not limited to): Screwtop, Butters, ///, Kai, Ross, Pistol Patch, Thirsty Boy, MHB, DrK (when he's not bagging no-chill or writing cryptic crossword puzzles), Brewer Pete, Airgead, Nige62, Domonsura, Tony, Batz, Dent, Wessmith, Zwickel, Lez the weizguy, Dr Smurto, Rdjevun, Big-Fridge.

Kai troester posts here very ocassionally and his advice would be worthy of consideration in my book. I'd also take brun'gard seriously, especially in relation to water.

From before my time but posts worth reading: Postmodern, Pint of Lager.
Not too often that the venerable AHB elders stop by for a chat these days. A great loss to the forum.

GalBrew said:
Not too often that the venerable AHB elders stop by for a chat these days. A great loss to the forum.
I wonder why???

Truman said:
I wonder why???
People sometimes just move on to other things, life gets in the way etc. It is not always because of reasons often mentioned here.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Do you......A lot of us long time members tend to lurk now
Well I've been told by more than one long time member why they no longer post much on here. Of course they don't speak for all, and yes they said they just tend to lurk now.

Truman said:
Well I've been told by more than one long time member why they no longer post much on here. Of course they don't speak for all, and yes they said they just tend to lurk now.
What is it about only reading the board that protects them from the thing they claim is the reason they do not contribute anymore?

This was my first thought when the thread was created and I've been holding my tongue until now but the last people I would trust are those who offer their help only through PM. They don't have enough faith in their knowledge to stand up to the possibility of dissent and want direct kudos from anyone who reads it. Cowards and egoists all.

[EDIT: typo]

I'm not buying this. About a year ago word on the street was that those valuable long time members left because they couldn't be bothered with those simple repetitive questions that were asked without searching.

Now that all the shit stirring started to really take off (roughly since the upgrade this year) all these people who left are thrown into one hat and have left because of that? Don't think so.

As Brad rightly pointed out, people leave for all sorts of reasons. I myself have moved along from hobby to hobby until I found the one that stuck, people get tied up with work, family, divorce, can't drink anymore for health reasons, get bored with brewing and yes, some people get fed up with repetitive noob questions and some with shit stirring. All valid reasons.

EDIT: Added quote for clarity removed quote

I probably assumed something that wasn't right, sorry. I will remove your quote now.

I don't agree Bum. Little that I know, even I don't find time spent trying to turn around idiots who post up recipes/ideas for jungle juice. Every now and then there is the little spark that someone is actually thinking about what they are doing and might be getting stuck at something, been there too, and I feel like helping. As for the hand it to me cuz I bothered putting in an extra kilo of sugar in to make me so plastered crowd, gfy.

This is a hobby, not a chore. I bet some of the longer gone and lurkers feel similar reactions when they see topic on topic of utter crap. When was the last time something really good was started? Fletcher started that little ziplock bag idea thread, probably one in a while now that talked of something new, to think about. Usual fare on here is repetition of lazy, lazier and laziest.

practicalfool said:
I don't agree Bum. Little that I know, even I don't find time spent trying to turn around idiots who post up recipes/ideas for jungle juice. Every now and then there is the little spark that someone is actually thinking about what they are doing and might be getting stuck at something, been there too, and I feel like helping. As for the hand it to me cuz I bothered putting in an extra kilo of sugar in to make me so plastered crowd, gfy
That's all fine with me. What I mean is that there is a particularly simple type of member who always likes to point out that they have received help from the special members who don't post here anymore. I assume that these simpletons are the tip of the iceberg and the silent brotherhood offer the secret knowledge to other members as well. Perhaps this is not the case and I am assuming this occurs far more often than it does in reality.

I'm not saying everyone should correct crap advice when they see it - although I do wish they would. I know I appreciate it when my misunderstandings are corrected and I know not everyone else does but, shit, it'd be awesome if they did.

bum said:
What is it about only reading the board that protects them from the thing they claim is the reason they do not contribute anymore?

This was my first thought when the thread was created and I've been holding my tongue until now but the last people I would trust are those who offer their help only through PM. They don't have enough faith in their knowledge to stand up to the possibility of dissent and want direct kudos from anyone who reads it. Cowards and egoists all.

[EDIT: typo]
As I said I don't speak for all, I guess some are sick of the noob or stupid questions. (Yes yes I know your going to say I'm at fault with that) but I know some that Ive got to know over the year or two I've been on here that have told me they are sick of the "Google brewers" who come on here half tanked and are just out to troll, flame, hang shit on just about any advice they try to give.
Tell them that's wrong and they don't know what they're talking about etc etc.

A general lack of respect for guys that have been brewing for years and years and have a wealth of knowledge to share with noobs.

And I'm not just talking about differences of opinion here or someone discussing the pros and cons of a suggested method, idea etc.

I'm talking about "wankers" as quoted, that blatantly go out of their way to discredit anything said by these long term members as bullshit and there way is the be all end all. (Especially when they're half tanked)

These members don't just offer help only through PM some of them still post here from time to time but they are very selective with what they post because they couldn't be bothered with the bullshit. That's their choice, and as I said its probably not all of them that think that but certainly I've had a few help me out via PM and said exactly that.

bum said:
That's all fine with me. What I mean is that there is a particularly simple type of member who always likes to point out that they have received help from the special members who don't post here anymore. I assume that these simpletons are the tip of the iceberg and the silent brotherhood offer the secret knowledge to other members as well. Perhaps this is not the case and I am assuming this occurs far more often than it does in reality.I'm not saying everyone should correct crap advice when they see it - although I do wish they would. I know I appreciate it when my misunderstandings are corrected and I know not everyone else does but, shit, it'd be awesome if they did.
Nothing about being a simple type of member pointing out that I receive help from special members who don't post here anymore.

Just long term members sick of bullshit but still want to offer their advice and knowledge on brewing to others.

Truman said:
(Yes yes I know your going to say I'm at fault with that)
Not necessarily but that road is well traveled at this point and probably not worth heading down now.

The "n00b" questions are just part of being on the internet - if anyone can't handle that they really should move on. For whatever it is worth (and I'm not pretending it is a lot), almost the only questions I get involved with are n00b questions. People who are asking non-n00by questions should have built up the skill-set to find the answers for most of their questions themselves. There's not a lot that is new under the sun.

tbh, in hindsight, I see what you mean. Never really see you much in discussion in other than noob threads. Good on you. Maybe that's what feeds your sarcastic wit but it does make you sound like a self important whinging fool at times. I can see what you try to say but after all, that is not directed at me, if you know what I mean. Can't play with mud and not get some on your hands.

Latest posts

Back