AHB Trusted Opinions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackened

Reaction score
Hey all,
I joined AHB around 12 months ago but haven't been reading much here until recently. As with any forum, there's a lot of people posting, some with more trustworthy opinions than others.

1. Who's opinion on here do you trust?
2. On what subject/s do you find them knowledgable?

No self-advertising please!! :D

I'm having trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff, I need to read more posts I know, but I'm also interested in others opinions.

Cheers and have a great weekend everyone!

Blackened said:
I'm having trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff, I need to read more posts I know, but I'm also interested in others opinions.
Ah, but who's opinions on other people's opinions should you trust?

Some people post from experience, some people post from what they have read...

I try and decipher to the prior.

Other than that, your call.

Is that a can opener I hear?

It's a pretty shit answer, but if you do plenty of reading, and you'll make up your own mind soon enough.

Edit: Too slow, what Cocko said

Can't quote using iOS

Dmac and Cocko, totally agree, more reading required. But when someone says something positive about another user, I tend to put more value in that, than a flame. And when someone says something negative, that is usually more a reflection on the one who said it, rather that who the comment was aimed at.

This thread has already proved enlightening LOL

I only trust those that give good advice and ignore the rest... :blink:

I've found some people post stuff and know and explain the purpose behind what they suggest. Their suggestions are purposeful rather than what comes out of their ass. Yet others will post just for the sake of it and can never be relied on to explain their advice. Be wary of those. Most of the good posters don't need to be asked, they are clear and sometimes concise about what they are advertising. Yet others who will come up with a good answer once asked. Then there are those that couldn't tell phenols from esters!

dmac said:
It's a pretty shit answer, but if you do plenty of reading, and you'll make up your own mind soon enough.
Wot he said - do your own (independent of this forum) reading & only trust that which confirms it.

That said, it's always good to embrace a potentially better way of doing something, as long as it fits with the fundamentals that you already know. Don't sway from the fundamentals!

Blackened said:
Can't quote using iOSDmac and Cocko, totally agree, more reading required. But when someone says something positive about another user, I tend to put more value in that, than a flame. And when someone says something negative, that is usually more a reflection on the one who said it, rather that who the comment was aimed at.This thread has already proved enlightening LOL
That is a dangerous attitude in a forum loaded with idiots hi5ing idiots. Good luck.

practicalfool said:
I've found some people post stuff and know and explain the purpose behind what they suggest. Their suggestions are purposeful rather than what comes out of their ass. Yet others will post just for the sake of it and can never be relied on to explain their advice. Be wary of those. Most of the good posters don't need to be asked, they are clear and sometimes concise about what they are advertising. Yet others who will come up with a good answer once asked. Then there are those that couldn't tell phenols from esters!
Gold!

MartinOC said:
as long as it fits with the fundamentals that you already know. Don't sway from the fundamentals!
Ah, but "fundamentals" is a dirty word these days, MartinOC.

Funny shit. This thread made me laugh, f@&k me.

Read it, research online articles/videos/forums, then ask LHBS, research some more, apply to brewing, taste beer.....decide if correct.

You forgot to ask which flamewars are the most fun.

Thirstyboy, Manticle, QldKev, Airgead and Dr. Smurto are all folks who have been really helpful to me, also a noob. And there are more. And there are also a thousand other really kind, eager to help and heavily opinionated folk as well. So yeah, read study research ask read some more.

Anyway, back on topic for a sec (if you'll forgive my impetuousness), someone made a very similar thread (but presented in a less ill-advised fashion) a while back that had some good replies along the lines of Mardoo's above. Anyone remember who it was? I'm normally not too bad at remembering this stuff but am drawing a complete blank here.

bum said:
Anyway, back on topic for a sec (if you'll forgive my impetuousness), someone made a very similar thread (but presented in a less ill-advised fashion) a while back that had some good replies along the lines of Mardoo's above. Anyone remember who it was? I'm normally not too bad at remembering this stuff but am drawing a complete blank here.
was it truman ?

(just playing statistics)

big78sam said:
I trust Butters
I do too.. but he is short and I have trouble trusting short people..

But over all, if searching and reading, butters is someone took the time to share his knowledge... sure.

Also, search, 'speedy' - that there some knowledge yo!

ooooooook bye.

The Op asked a fair question, can we please stay on topic

I look for someone who obviously understands the basic principles, but knows how to implement them on their own system. So often these discussions will relate back to their own brew gear and processes, and discuss why they follow a given procedure and what they have found. If we only brewed by the book no-one would do a 52/55c step with modern modified malts anymore, but I incorporate the step into all my beers. I find Screwy and AndrewQld both excellent resources for talking about what they have found. The usual crowd entering into pissing contents but never posting their actual real world findings to me are no more helpful than a person trying to bake a cake and offering me suggestions on brewing. Also tasting beers is a great insight into the brewers ability. Over the years I've had some great beers from some fairly new brewers, and some ordinary ones from more experienced brewers.

my 2c

Dont worry OP, you'll get answers and then a few people will argue their points - usually arguing the complete opposite of each other, both swearing they were right. Then it gets down to personal insults.

The one with the wittier insult is probably right.

Back