AHB Articles: NSW Special Case Swap 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we not men!

are we not nswelshmen!

Should be fun - the first NSW special swap had me sampling some awesome beers, lots of blackouts and memory shifts and illegible writing in my tasting notebook- this one will continue to hammer nails into my liver's coffin but as we all know - it is evil and must be punished!

cheers

grant

I'm psyched for this one. Even getting a special yeast delivered for the third one.

ive got my funky beers going already so im looking forward to it.
grant ill bring you a bottle of my dark braggot next time, well it could be a bottle of my funky version of it.

Question - how many per style group? Is there a cutoff number?
Or basically, if I'm brewing a lambic, do I brew one for everyone, or only the other lambic guys?

Keen but scared, but I'll throw my name in the barrel now!

basically i think its just 1 in 8 mate to my understanding

I'm in....Gotta try and get something close to Gulpa's 14% Belgian....thanks Andrew for sample on the weekend.

Or basically, if I'm brewing a lambic, do I brew one for everyone, or only the other lambic guys?

Keen but scared, but I'll throw my name in the barrel now!

Good question, Pete. You only swap within your category.

Last easter we had 14 places in each category. Do we want to limit numbers to each category to 14 now? I only bottled 14 of my dark beer appropriately.

cheers
Andrew.

PS. Grant it was only 13% :party: . Glad you liked it.

Good question, Pete. You only swap within your category.

Last easter we had 14 places in each category. Do we want to limit numbers to each category to 14 now? I only bottled 14 of my dark beer appropriately.

Yes, let's stick with 14 names per category (unless a great mass of people we aren't expecting join in). I'm happy with 14, that also

1. Allows at least 6 spare for me to taste over the next 3 years.
2. Allows at least 3 for club comps in 2011
3. Allows at least 2 for state & nationals if good enough.

Total aimed to bottle - 24.

At this stage, one per category. Brew one for each if you like. I'll go in 2 categories. Buggered if I'll ever brew a lambic.

If you only do a lambic, then you swap only with those who brew a lambic.

This swap has ideals .. it should appeal to some people who don't necessarily want to be in the "masses" case swap. To me, it is a means of aiming a little higher in improving my brewing knowledge, skill and tastes. Others can attach their own reasons.

Cheers Fats. All is clear now.

Already going through the Brewing Classic Styles book planning the next few months brewing. Will stick with some tried & true AG recipes, but the lambic will be a first off for me. As per Thommo, I'm even getting a special yeast for it.
edit: got a pretty awesome Imperial American Indian Amber Ale that should be big and almost dark enough for the Dark category... Thommo should be able to vouch for it.

All right, I'll be up for the belgian and big arsed dark beers.

cheers

Read something about certain lambics being suited to Champagne bottles due to high carbonation.
What's the concensus about which bottles to use? I'd be more inclined to use them, but if it's longnecks only for this swap, so be it.
Sorry for all the questions. :beer:

im fine with them pete. go for it

Fellas

What's the planned swap date for this one?

Need to plan my brewing calendar

Cheers

Normally sometime around easter but I dont think there is a date yet. Im happy to host this one but will need to talk to Mrs Gulpa to work out best wend around then.

cheer
Andrew.

cool gulpas place not too far to crawl home.

Perhaps we should work out the best weekend around then to have this swap. Easter W/end itself is out. What is everyone elses availability?

Cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back