AHB Articles: NSW Special Case Swap 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap. Where did I get the idea that this swap was due round August???
Okay my lambic is bubbling away at the moment, but has yet to be transferred to the sour yeast.
If it's not ready for the swap, I'm more than happy to deliver it round to you guys at a date when it's ready.
edit: better get that big arsed dark beer going too.

i think you confused this one with the funky case swap which is around august.
gulpa im easy at this stage in regards to dates.

That I did. Sorry guys.
Again, the offer still stands. If you guys want to hold on to one for me, once it's bottled I can hand deliver.

Otherwise, stupid, unorganised me might just have to pull out of this swap. Massive Facepalm on my behalf

more than happy to wait to swap with you pete. my sours are still in the fermentors as well. but ill have something in bottles on the day

That I did. Sorry guys.
Again, the offer still stands. If you guys want to hold on to one for me, once it's bottled I can hand deliver.

Otherwise, stupid, unorganised me might just have to pull out of this swap. Massive Facepalm on my behalf

They go sour quicker in the warmer weather. ;)

They go sour quicker in the warmer weather. ;)
So this is my first proper lambic.
I'll rack it over to the Brett in the next week or so, so brewing at about 20c, how long do you propose I wait till I bottle it? Patience is required I know but just wondering.

So this is my first proper lambic.
I'll rack it over to the Brett in the next week or so, so brewing at about 20c, how long do you propose I wait till I bottle it? Patience is required I know but just wondering.

About three months seems to be the recommended minimum on Brett. Ive done two and that seems about right. Not sure this help you <_< .

About three months seems to be the recommended minimum on Brett. Ive done two and that seems about right. Not sure this help you <_< .
Cheers Any input helps, Andrew.
I've successfully added a few drops of some sour ale dregs to a handful of longnecks, and yeah, in about 3 months they seems to do the job.
I'll see how this baby goes, and keep you all posted when the swap date comes closer.

ok, I've just bottled my "some sort of big arsed black beer".

The beer's arse isn't as big as I wanted, but weighing in at a size 7.9%, it will do the job.

I just had a couple of cold uncarbed samples on top of a few pommy bitters and they put me on my arse.

cheers

nifty

I have a big arsed dark beer planned which will be ready to drink fresh. brewday will be sometime this month.

However, I have a backup I can fall back on - a belgian inspired RIS. BUT, it's bottled in mainly stubbies & pints.
Still this works well as the batch was split with another yeast dropping the gravity further, so 9.5% and 11.5% alc.

I know stubbies/pints are frowned upon in swaps, but it's my fallback emergency swap, it's a delicious beer IMHO. I've got a few tallies bottled, but I'll arrange it so no one is left with less that 750ml (eg ripping someone off with 2 euro stubbies).

If anyone has any objections feel free to yell at me for not getting my shit together.
Cheers Pete

pete, i still have to start fermenting the big arse one yet. hopefully next week

pete, i still have to start fermenting the big arse one yet. hopefully next week
hehe, yep Barls, there's still time. I'm just trying to cover all options.
If I get it done in time, I'll bring the backups along for tasting @ the swap. (They're called Sexual Chocolate & Soul Glo).
FWIW I'm planning to rebrew my American Imperial Amber Ale - I think it's big enough and almost dark enough.

Hi Pete,

Im not sure stubbies are frowned upon with the special swaps. There were a few last easter in stubbies. With the higher % a longneck can be a challenge.

cheers
Andrew.

I have a big arsed dark beer planned which will be ready to drink fresh. brewday will be sometime this month.

However, I have a backup I can fall back on - a belgian inspired RIS. BUT, it's bottled in mainly stubbies & pints.
Still this works well as the batch was split with another yeast dropping the gravity further, so 9.5% and 11.5% alc.

I know stubbies/pints are frowned upon in swaps, but it's my fallback emergency swap, it's a delicious beer IMHO. I've got a few tallies bottled, but I'll arrange it so no one is left with less that 750ml (eg ripping someone off with 2 euro stubbies).

If anyone has any objections feel free to yell at me for not getting my shit together.
Cheers Pete

Cheers Pete
Certainly no objections with stubbies when it comes to strong beers.
The last one of these swaps we did, most of the barley wines and RIS's came in stubbies and I couldn't have been more happy. Not only for the sake of being able to finish a bottle of beer, but you can drink one now...whilst young, and lets face it, in alot of cases quite undrinkable...and drink one in a years time or so, when alot of these styles tend to hit their stride.

Cool, my thoughts were on the alc content when I was bottling it in stubbies.

Currently brewing up my Big Arsed Dark Beer - an American Brown Ale (Janet's Brown Ale in brewing classic styles) - its at home mashing as I type.
With a bit of luck it'll be round the 8.5% mark.
My Flanders Bruin is just sitting there... it's such a struggle not to have a sample.

I'll brew my Belgian and Funky beers this week. I'm thinking Tripel and either Berliner Weisse or Oud Bruin. The big arse dark beer will be an Imperial American Brown Ale. Big, chocolatey and hoppy.

we looking at early april this time around to do this swap?

Sampled my Belgian on the weekend, its still young but promising, while my Jacobite Ale is in the fermenter right now.

Cheers

Grant

just culturing up the yeast for my big beer. and trying to find where im getting my funky from, i just need to decide which one it should be.

Back