AHB Articles: NSW Special Case Swap 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going off the hydrometer taste of my "Dirty Sanchez" Brown Ale, you guys will have to settle for the Belgian DSGA/RIS I mentioned earlier, the Soul Glo/Sexual Chocolate.
Will keep you posted on the funky Oud Bruin.
Datewise - Happy whenever you guys choose.

Have drawn up my Black Weizenbock recipe

Now to get to brewing

Then to make something Belgian...

Despite me telling everyone to brew these beers LAST YEAR once again I am not ready. Formulated something along the lines of a red hop monster (American IPA) while driving back from Beerfest last Saturday (after being a judge in the Strong Ale Catagory) so better get down to it this weekend.

The next beer on my list is set to be a big black *******...failing that I have a crate full of backups!

just bottled my sour should be good. was tasting excellent. just the big arsed one to ferment now

Tried my Flander Oud Bruin last night. SG had dropped to 1000!
Tasted pretty amazing IMO.
Will leave it another month or so before bottling.

I'll brew my Belgian and Funky beers this week. I'm thinking Tripel and either Berliner Weisse or Oud Bruin. The big arse dark beer will be an Imperial American Brown Ale. Big, chocolatey and hoppy.

I've decided to bite the bullet and use my local wild yeast in my funky beer. I've tasted the starter and I think it's pretty good.

I've decided to bite the bullet and use my local wild yeast in my funky beer. I've tasted the starter and I think it's pretty good.
Out of curiosity how long are you planning on leaving it before Bottling, Josh?

Well, I've pulled my name from the first two swaps. I've just had no time for brewing recently. :(

I've left my name in the funky one though as I still have hopes of being in that. :)

bugger stu, thats not good.

Hey guys, I'm sad not to be in this, I have made one small step and introduced brett to my brewery, next step flanders red when the temp backs off.

Josh, I'm keen to know how you collected the wild yeast. I have been thinking of doing something similar by leaving it outside overnight or something. Brendon Varis apparently used his local microbes for Feral's Funky Junkie, and it is great.

Hey guys, I'm sad not to be in this, I have made one small step and introduced brett to my brewery, next step flanders red when the temp backs off.

Josh, I'm keen to know how you collected the wild yeast. I have been thinking of doing something similar by leaving it outside overnight or something. Brendon Varis apparently used his local microbes for Feral's Funky Junkie, and it is great.

Towards winter, I brewed a beer and left about 4L of hot wort sitting in a small pot underneath a lime tree overnight. As I was going to work the next morning I put the lid on it and left inside for a couple of days. When there were active signs of fermentation I poured into a 750ml bottle with a rubber stopper and airlock.

9 months later I taste some and it smells like barnyard and tastes like tropical fruits.

Pete, I heard that 100% bugs beers ferment out pretty readily, then just sour up over time. So I will pitch my beer tonight and bottle close to swap date. I'm thinking small bottles, so you can try one fresh and leave one for a year.

Towards winter, I brewed a beer and left about 4L of hot wort sitting in a small pot underneath a lime tree overnight. As I was going to work the next morning I put the lid on it and left inside for a couple of days. When there were active signs of fermentation I poured into a 750ml bottle with a rubber stopper and airlock.

9 months later I taste some and it smells like barnyard and tastes like tropical fruits.

Pete, I heard that 100% bugs beers ferment out pretty readily, then just sour up over time. So I will pitch my beer tonight and bottle close to swap date. I'm thinking small bottles, so you can try one fresh and leave one for a year.
Good plan with the stubbies Josh.

so when are we going to do this then. im pitching this week on my big arse barley wine. might eis some of it as well just as something unusual.

im happy t push it back to may if we need to for those that are still fermenting

im happy t push it back to may if we need to for those that are still fermenting

I've only just put my dark belgian in the fermentor, so should be ready to bottle in a few weeks.

How are other brewers timings going??

nifty

ive got 2 in bottles and the third is about 2 days in but fermenting nicely.

My SB is good to go and my BADB is about to be bottled....I'm OK to set a date.

Back