Ahb Articles: Australias Biggest Brew Day 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is important to keep the funds in Australia! I have major problems with raising money for charities outside due to: For example Africa: does not help their economy yes the money might school the child and a build a well but once the child has grown and educated and go out into the workforce to find there is no economy due to lazy/corrup govt who RELY ON AID. Not sure if you are aware since Bob Geldolf did Live Aid Africa economy has declined even more? Not blaming him he did a fantastic job making the WORLD aware of what was happening but has not helped the economy. So I say let the developed world stop sponsoring rebels and guerillas. I think the problems of Africa are cased by rich western elites - not African people themselves. They are simply trapped in the prison created for them.

Broad brush. This is especially considering the number of states in Subsaharan Africa.

While I don't want to debate this (I'm really not in the mood), talking about 'Africa' like it's all the same the continent over is somewhat sweeping.

P & C I kind of expected you to be the first to bite, and Im no way up to scratch on my politics as you....

and not really ready for a debate with you but please enlighten me!

We already sponsor a little Vietnamese kid and have done for ages but I might start to put some money away every time I brew and sponsor another kid.Also I intend to take donations from you lot every time you come over for a quite drink :beer: , that way I can sponsor a whole country. :eek: Got to go and find GB's booze bucket.
GB

I'll just write something brief- partly because I've had a few beers, and also partly because it's a region of the world which I am not wholly versed in. Subsaharan Africa is host to a litany of different states, all of which have vastly different political systems. Pinning down difficulties to one particular source is to not only ignore many other influences but also to imply through omission that it applies equally to all states, which is not the case. Reliance on aid is part of the problem in the states where the biggest problems are- pushed through the common images of the 'dirt farming poor African'. However, problems are reinforced through multiple sources- the 'strong man' problem creating political leaders who are clearly unqualified to look after an economy/country (Mugabe is an example of this, his goals are noble- that is, ensuring that the minority don't have the majority of the money- just his methods are stupid), the hangover form colonialism (though this is largely an excuse IMO), protectionism restricting economic growth, historical factors creating security dilemmas (take Ethipia's constant issues with its neighbours) which in turn is a drain on national resources, the inability of the state to exert control over the whole of its borders (the universal assumption that states control the entirety of the land internationally recognised to be their borders is very optimistic) and in turn local groups taking control of certain areas and in turn impoverishing the local population... it goes on.

While there is a certain difficulty in getting around these problems, especially in a charity/aid setting, the complexity and intertwining nature of the problems is the reason why they are so embedded and difficult to overcome (which is why I hate Geldof, since he makes it sound so damn simple).

We already sponsor a little Vietnamese kid and have done for ages but I might start to put some money away every time I brew and sponsor another kid.Also I intend to take donations from you lot every time you come over for a quite drink :beer: , that way I can sponsor a whole country. :eek: Got to go and find GB's booze bucket.
GB

I have many times thought about sponser espeacially Cambodia and Vietnam, and not knocking anybody that does. I admire people like Caroline Cox who has spent most of life setting up ophanages in Cambodia and the Irish lady (forgotten her name) who has done the same in Vietnam its totally inspirational.

Dave just as you said in your last paragraph it is complicated... I hope we are all open to suggestions of the charities or charity chosen I would like it to go to one we do understand.

Maybe the Big Issue?

Well put P&C

I will add this - I personally know two girls who have worked on the ground across a number of community based aid programs - including time spent in africa. World Vision is the poster child for aid in Africa - but they are not the be all and end all.

One of these girls has gone on to secure initial funding to set up a program in an African country that is focussed on enabling people with in the community who are HIV positive to educate their community on prevention and management of ongoing conditions. This is a massive undertaking - HIV is a taboo subject and incredibly misunderstood - so for these people to declare that they infected and live openly with the condition in the community is no small feat!!

She has successfuly set up this program to be run by the community getting support from the tribal leaders - it is not a program that is being run by a white person and simply handing out money. The workers are volunteers who are trying to make a difference and the money that she raises goes directly into drugs and basic equipment to improve these peoples lives.

Don't take this wrong way Katie - it just annoys the hell out of me when people use a big sweeping brush to tar charity efforts in places like Africa and other impoverished places. It is a complex issue that has a lot of obsticles that get in the way.

Cheers

brendo

I really think it would be a great idea to choose the charities its easier to manage and to keep legitimate not say people are dishonest just so it can be monitored. Collecting money for organisations you need to be careful, if the media does get involved we need to be able to tell them how the money is dispersed.

I think it is important to keep the funds in Australia! I have major problems with raising money for charities outside due to: For example Africa: does not help their economy yes the money might school the child and a build a well but once the child has grown and educated and go out into the workforce to find there is no economy due to lazy/corrup govt who RELY ON AID. Not sure if you are aware since Bob Geldolf did Live Aid Africa economy has declined even more? Not blaming him he did a fantastic job making the WORLD aware of what was happening but has not helped the economy. So I say let the developed world stop sponsoring rebels and guerillas. I think the problems of Africa are cased by rich western elites - not African people themselves. They are simply trapped in the prison created for them.

Dont get me wrong I care very much for what goes on in other countries I just think it needs to be done on a different level then CHARITY work more like a development thing!

There's a few charities who focus on health issues like medecins sans frontieres - a favourite of mine. I'm not sure your assessment should be quite as general.

Nonetheless that's a discussion for another thread (and probably another forum). As long as the charity itself does work I admire I don't give a toss if it's Australian or not - I'll happily brew, drink and donate. A good effort by yourself and Chappo so here's to next year being a bigger brewday.

A friend of mine who just came over from south africa told me a lot of the countries in africa receiving aid arent making any use of it. In particular he told me there are warehouses full of rotting rice and grain that charities had bought them to help fight famine, but the people responsible for picking it up dont need it so don't bother getting it, while everyone else starves.

I'm not saying I do or do not believe what he said, and I don't know much about it beyond what I just wrote, but can one of you folk who seem more educated in these things enlighten me? Is that just a total crock or is that kind of thing really happening?

Food aid is distributed by representatives of the bodies that supplied them, so that sort of thing happens normally because of political interference (ie the food aid that North Korea didn't let in due to political reasons)

We can talk about it, see what others think. But I thinks its best to keep it in Australia I have my reasons. Im going home now! Katie storms out.

Oh no. More of your offering to compromise. Should I save time and just say now, "We should do it your way?" :D

Would you agree to running a poll before final decisions are made or should I throw the towel in now?

There are 3 options I can see...

1. Nominate a charity.
2. Allow People to Choose Their Own.
3. Both of the Above.

Media is unimportant and auditing is not of huge importance. ABBD is not a registered charity. The way I see it, it is just a good excuse to brew beer and donate to something that you feel is important. I don't see much reason to restrict it.

The Australian thing is unimportant as well. Yes, I have seen the docos on overseas aid and the pitfalls. But, there are many great little operations operating overseas. If I have the choice between supporting a great Australian charity that provides a home to cats that have been thrown in fires or a great overseas one that provides a home for children as young as two being thrown in fires, then I'd like to be given this choice.

Why is all this such a big deal? As I said, I'm happy to keep track of it.

Spot!

A couple of ideas...
Why not up the number to three perhaps and have one overseas one and two Aussie ones? I like the idea of supporting Aussie ones myself but not averse to overseas things.

Secondly, given the overwhelming majority here are males, and I don't mean any disrespect to the female brewers here, the more the better I say, and also that breast cancer gets massive support through various programs around the place, I'd like to suggest Prostate Cancer as a more relevant charity. I do admit to an affiliation here as my wife used to work in charity and ran a campaign for this and had trouble getting quite the same level of support...

In the end you could select from a huge list of worthwhile charities but I do kind of like the idea of having a focus of two or three...

On one more note I'd like to request a change of date, based purely on self interest. The last weekend in July is nearly always the time for our clubs annual comp and I'd really like to do both...Next year we'd like to make Chappo do all the carrying of bottles and things so we need him for that weekend :)
So if you could change everything just for me Katie that would be great ;)

The answer is obvious, support the charity you like the rest of the year BUT on ABB Day , go with the flow. It works for me. The politics of this are starting to go lateral to the point.....
GB

Brendo I agree with you, and I agree with P & C its very complex. I probably should not have written it. And did not mean to offend anybody. There is more to it and I understand that and to much for me to put down on the board.

Bconnery made some great points, and I like it. Breast Cancer Foundation was important for me this year but it doesn't have to be that every year. And yeah no problem with a change of date, it has not being decided yet. I hope we all can work together to make it even bigger next year.

Also it's not just about ME

Patch what are you trying to do? if it's not your way you won't contribute or participate in the event? Monitoring the funds is the biggest part of fundraising. There are legal issues. If BIG IF the media got there hands on a bunch of people raising money for a charity and the money was not dispersed correctly there's the damage. A internet or scanned receipt just doesn't cut it! Also I think I have done a great job keeping track of it.... And not really ready to hand over to you PP.

So it would be great if we can work together to organise a even bigger better event!

Katie

What's that old saying

" Charity begins at home "

I don't want to offend anyone but I'm all for looking after us before them......might sound harsh but that's the way i feel.

Rook

I think it has to be a single, local cause to gain momentum and attention for what should be a growing event. This will allow it be focused, easily counted and also garner attention for its help to the local community.
(Personally, i don't think local is important in terms of charity generally - charity is giving, not expecting it to be spent in your backyard?)

I think Prostate Cancer is a great idea. This is predominantly a male pastime and also Prostate cancer could do with more publicity. Perhaps we could run a best Brown Ale competition in parallel next year :ph34r:

also, read a great book about Africa the other week - 'The Shadow of the Sun' by Ryszard Kapuściński, only $10

Brendo I agree with you, and I agree with P & C its very complex. I probably should not have written it. And did not mean to offend anybody. There is more to it and I understand that and to much for me to put down on the board.

Bconnery made some great points, and I like it. Breast Cancer Foundation was important for me this year but it doesn't have to be that every year. And yeah no problem with a change of date, it has not being decided yet. I hope we all can work together to make it even bigger next year.

Patch what are you trying to do? if it's not your way you won't contribute or participate in the event? Monitoring the funds is the biggest part of fundraising. There are legal issues. If BIG IF the media got there hands on a bunch of people raising money for a charity and the money was not dispersed correctly there's the damage. A internet or scanned receipt just doesn't cut it! Also I think I have done a great job keeping track of it.... And not really ready to hand over to you PP.

So it would be great if we can work together to organise a even bigger better event!

Katie

No dramas at all Katie... I reckon you and your helpers did an awesome idea bringing this idea to fruition and you should be VERY proud of what your idea has achieved thus far. None of this recent discussion should take anything away from that.

I disagree with Patch about a scattergun approach to donations - I think this should very much be a targeted affair that can be publicised and gather momentum. Having a focus to the effort is a lot easier to get support for.

I had a lot of fun taking part in it this year and I am looking forward to future efforts. Happy to helpout where I can in getting things up and going for the next one.

Cheers,

Brendo

Katie

I don't feel I have the right to comment here as I didn't participate this year, however next year will be a different matter, so here goes.

1st off Katie and Chappo and all the others involved did a fantastic job, you especially Katie as this was your baby from the start.

Patch, seriously mate, and no offense intended, you have a habit of making things more complicated than they need to be.

Charities of choice - not a good idea, too hard to keep track of receipts, and difficult to keep track of totals. And lets face it, what's the point of dozens of little donations to dozens of charities, it's much better for one charity to receive one BIG donation, it's more helpful to them.

As it stands now by the look of things the donation side was fairly smooth thanks to Katie organizing a central donation site so that's cool.

I'd like to see the Charity remain within Australia, if it's for medical research of some description then the results of said research benefits the whole world anyway so I can't see the point of sending it overseas.

But having said all of that I would be willing to participate regardless of how it's organized or where the funds are sent, it is after all charity.

And to be honest if I was katie or Chappo I'd be seriously starting to get fed up with the whole thing by now, let the organizers organize and the rest of us donate.
Good luck with this guys and I hope you don't get too frustrated.

Andrew

It's all good, no harm done :)

Latest posts

Back