AHB Articles: 2011 AHB Vic Christmas Case Swap - Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I scaled up the orig recipe I just went all ingrediants x 5... er.. incorrectly ???

my feeling was that we were going to split the grain between the BIAB and 3V... aiming for about 120l as there are 5 for the cubes..

er.. Id rather be able to do it in 2 systems as I might not be able to service Husky's electrical needs easily (yet to be confirmed)

Thoughts were that we might require 2 HLT's and 2 MT's (unless we can pull a tripple out of a 50l MT?) and run off to the 120l pot as a tripple (1.5 each MT) and the BIAB as a double (in the 80l pot?)

[edit] or the BIAB as a tripple and the double from the 3V which may be easier equipment wise... [edit]

I might have this wrong and will be happy to be corrected.

By the By.. I have to duck out to boronia and get the crystal on the morning of the swap as I will have no time till then to collect but will be there when he opens the door and be back by half 9 in the morning. SWMBO will be home if people are swinging through to drop gear.

Yob

5 not 4 as I originally thought. Drunk brewday yesterday when I worked all that out.

I'll have another crack to see if we can get 100 litres FV but we'll probably need to calc for a bit more preboil than 120. As well as evaporation there will be reasonable trub losses.

We going to use the BIAB rig as a tun and then just run off into the big kettle to make hop additions easier? The hop schedule is complicated enough. We can just top up with the extra litres as we go I guess (to avoid boilover etc).

If you don't get the biscuit in time, I have heaps.

You've still got me down for the wheat?

we'll probably need to calc for a bit more preboil than 120. As well as evaporation there will be reasonable trub losses.

We going to use the BIAB rig as a tun and then just run off into the big kettle to make hop additions easier? The hop schedule is complicated enough. We can just top up with the extra litres as we go I guess (to avoid boilover etc).

This was why I was trhinking the 2 seperate boils and split the grain bill occordingly, BIAB with the 120l and the 3V with the 80l and be done with it... it's going to be fiddely no matter how we go about it I think, but hay if it's an easier way Im open to discussion :) as a relatively inexperienced AG'er I just cant picture it..

If you don't get the biscuit in time, I have heaps.

You've still got me down for the wheat?

Got the biscuit today from QLD while im still waiting for my delivery from G&G :blink:

Yeah mate still down for the wheat.

Got to collect the glasses sat morning too :unsure:

Been out the back weather proofing the area (Setting up the yard umbrellas), If it looks like rain we will mostly be out in the brewery/shed anyway and should have plenty of space...

we will be dry gentlemen... well... on the outside of course :lol:

Yeah fent's kettle and the BIAB rig. We were going to use my MT and the BIAB rig for mashing. I'll work out two separate recipes and see if my MT is big enough.

is it not as simple as scaling it up into a tripple and a dubble?

3V would be 11.8kg assorted grains and BIAB would be 17.4kg assorted grains, hops as the doctor ordered for both... presumed we would need more water to the HLT for sparging and bob's ya fathers stepmother...

Im a simple creature but, perhaps wrongly, thought that was really all that was needed? im missing something aint I? :huh:

will have a good chat Wednesday Night about it.

Yob

It's not going to be much more complicated than that. Each system will have different idiosyncrasies such as efficiency, trub losses, evaporation etc. Gravity of the wort affects hop utilisation etc.

Main reason I want to work out the recipes is to make it as smooth as possible for your good self on brewday. Easiest to have a reference - then after that, don't sweat it.

Thought it might have summit to do with losses etc, i had a play with bs last night but quickly got confused and couldnt make bm match the og or ibu's..

At any rate, it's gunna ne loads of fun and really lookin forward to it.

Alright.

Here's my sclaed up recipe without any brewing salts.

Can someone please run this through beersmith and see if the numbers crunch similarly?

We'll split half and half between systems so 65 litres preboil into each to end up with ~100 litres. 1 BiAB, 1 3V. Hop additions split in half. We could combine the end result in the 120 L boil pot to make it all consistent before cubing.

All cube swapppers should bring their own clean, sanitised cube.

Brewer: - All and sundry
Beer: - Case swap American amber Style: - Big American amber
Type: All grain Size: 100 liters
Color: 18 HCU (~11 SRM)
Bitterness: 57 IBU
OG: 1.060 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 6.2% v/v (4.9% w/w)
Grain: 9.1kg JW ale
9.1 kg JW pils
4.5kg Wey Munich
1.15 kg Ding biscuit
0.90kg JW caramalt
0.45kg Simpsons dark crystal
2.25kg Wheat malt
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: 75 minutes, SG 1.046, 130 liters
Hops: 80g amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
155g Cascade (5.6% AA, 60 min.)
25g Chinook (11% AA, 30 min.)
25g Chinook (11% AA, 25 min.)
25g Chinook (11% AA, 20 min.)
25g Chinook (11% AA, 15 min.)
25g amarillo (8,5% AA, 15 min.)
25g amarillo (8,5% AA, 10 min.)
25g amarillo (8,5% AA, 5 min.)

25g Cascade (aroma)
25g Chinook (aroma)
25g Amarillo (aroma)
Mash @ 65 degrees for 60 mins.

Dry hop for 5 days in secondary (10g each hop)
Recommended yeast: US05, 1056, 1272

I'll work out the salts and an exact recipe/method sheet. Probably aroud 10g calcium chloride and 10g clacium sulphate each to mash and boil.

Quick shout out, is anyone swinging by a LHBS and is coming early to the Brewday? I had a brain fade last night and forgot to collect the Munich <_< ... If anyone can assist please let me know or I will have to make another run to collect which Not Ideal as there are many other things I need to do, but will do if required.

Needed is the 4.5 kg of Munich, happy to purchase if it saves me the time.

Yob

more to the point is someone coming to get the kettle? cause its thursday today. i cant probably be at the swap by 2pm but dont really fancy taking the kettle in a taxi with me.

more to the point is someone coming to get the kettle? cause its thursday today. i cant probably be at the swap by 2pm but dont really fancy taking the kettle in a taxi with me.

I thought Si was going to swing by... will give him a buzz... Its also pretty high on my agenda ;) if there is an issue I will give you a call..

Cheers mate

Set Evaporation rate at 15%, losses to trub 6L to get pre boil volume.

Est Pre boil Gravity: 1049
Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.19 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 57.7 IBU
Est Color: 17.6 EBC Color: Color
Batch Size: 100.00 L
Boil Size: 130.46
Boil Time: 75 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.10 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 31.06 %
9.10 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 31.06 %
4.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 15.36 %
2.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 7.68 %
1.15 kg Biscuit (Dingemans) (44.3 EBC) Grain 3.92 %
0.90 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 3.07 %
0.45 kg Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC) Grain 1.54 %
80.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
155.00 gm Cascade [5.60 %] (60 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
25.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
25.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (25 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
25.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
25.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
25.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Cascade [5.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

Could anyone please lend a mash paddle? Mine has been ordered but not posted yet :(

Did I still need to bring the centennial? Dont think the recipe calls for it anymore.

Also we spargng the BIAB?

Could anyone please lend a mash paddle? Mine has been ordered but not posted yet :(

Did I still need to bring the centennial? Dont think the recipe calls for it anymore.

Also we spargng the BIAB?

I'm bringing my mash paddle to the brew day.

Sorry, can't help with you're other queries.

No need for the centennial. I gave yob a bunch of hops yesterday - forgot you had offered. Cascade works fine in this brew.

I have some munich, will have to confirm tomorrow night when I get home exactly how much I have left.

have ordered the munich from Boronia... shit happens, didnt want to get caught short so went ahead and ordered it... I imagine he would get quite shitty about it if I cancel now :unsure:

@ Peaky - I had eyes on the mash paddle you are bringing for the 3V so if someone has another? I do have one but it is 50c ghetto and isnt gunna cut it on this scale

Yob

have ordered the munich from Boronia... shit happens, didnt want to get caught short so went ahead and ordered it... I imagine he would get quite shitty about it if I cancel now :unsure:

@ Peaky - I had eyes on the mash paddle you are bringing for the 3V so if someone has another? I do have one but it is 50c ghetto and isnt gunna cut it on this scale

Yob

Shouldn't need a mash paddle for each set up. Stir the mash in and let it sit, then stir the other mash and let that sit. No need for continual stirring... Well, I never do it anyway

Latest posts

Back