AHB Articles: 2011 AHB Vic Christmas Case Swap - Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is the spot I rekon, kinda open on one side as there is no wall at the front but shielded by roof and 3 walls.

1.JPG

2.JPG

dont get my immersion element till monday now :angry: :angry: .. sigh..

really would have liked to get some figures on strike temp times and such this weekend...

Right been doing a bit of reading in the equipment listed and see something like this will get us there (?)

BIAB

Midnight Brew

80L Ali Pot (and bag to siut?)
32 Mongolian (and stand?)
(Siphon hose?)
(Gas Bottle?)

married with

Peakydh

Motorised Mill :icon_chickcheers:
Adjustable reg

I will install a hook in the roof beams to suit a BIAB hoist before we get to the day.

3V

iamozziyob

50L Keggle
40L HLT (unless not ready then manticle's will suit) + immersion element
44L willow MT

married with

manticle

9lt gas bottle (?)
4 ring burner (if fits brewstand)

Peakydh

SS Mash Paddle

For those with more experience than I with this than I... Presumably we can get to 80-90L of wort in the cube with this equipment list?

any holes as far as can be seen?

Measured the burner yesterday. 350 mm diameter, 650 mm length.

Can borrow any of the following if need be:

50L mash tun
40 L HLT
50 L keggle
Immersion element (great if you miss strike temp by a couple of degrees or want to mash out)
Silicon hose
digital scales

Measured the burner yesterday. 350 mm diameter, 650 mm length.

Can borrow any of the following if need be:

50L mash tun

350mm will fit like the proverbial finger... do you generally sit the keggle on top of your burner or does it require a bit of extra height? I can weld up a spacer to get some extra height from the top of the burner if needed...

50L MT is probably a go as well... it's more bigger than my 44L and Im guessin' we will want to squeese as much as possible out of the systems.

:icon_cheers:

I sit it on bricks because the concave shape of the bottom sits uneasily on the burner.

Brew Day.

What time would we like to get things done by? Working backwards from say 5pm when the foods should be ready..??? this would mean that we should probably be mashing in at the latest half 1 to 2ish?? in an ideal world I would have aimed earlier and but I know that for some making even this time will be difficult with some conflicting commitments.

Pick up and return of some of the equipment for the day has been arranged but we should probably firm up what times players can make the game.. at least just to identify if we have any holes in the equipment requirements.

Yob

I can drop my brewing equipment and swap beer off early morning then head out to G&G for bulk buy grain pick up. Can't honestly say what time I'll be arriving second time around as I will have to drop my daughter off somewhere first. I would imagine it'll be somewhere around 1pm. My gear will already be there so whoever is brewing can get into it, no probs :icon_cheers:

So what is the recipe for the brew day? Or have I missed it somewhere?

:lol:

I can donate 6kg JW ale malt if you want to use it for an APA or somesuch (I've got a bit laying around)...

And I've got half a pound of Cascade that you can use.

Anyone else keen to add?

Or have a recipe?

Ive got lots of JW Pils, JW Vienna, JW Munich I, Cascade, Centennial, Williamette and a gas bottle.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1276

Found the link for the proposed recipe.
Any room for another cuber and helper? Can also donate grain and equipment if required. I dont get much time to brew so would be good to get a cube out of the day. If theres no capacity left i will do a BIAB if thats ok. will need 2 x power circuits is all for 2 x elements?

How many have we got so far? If we have the equipment, then I'm sure we can work it out.

Looks as though we may need 3 systems for 120+lt.. ?? people wanting cubes are

1: iamozziyob
2. Manticle
3. Midnight Brew
4. Siborg
5. Husky (if theres enough)
6. peakydh??? (thought he was in there but may be mistaken)

Its looking to be rather a large brewday and I for one welcome the assistance, just quietly shitting myself thinking that 2 novices will be in control of the large brew... Im not sure of the logistics of it all, but I hope to have all the equipment on hand early enough preceeding the event to have it all in place on the 9th so all that will be needed is to heat water and mill grain on the day..

this is well out of my range of experience and would welcome the assistance.

From a look at the equipment list it should be possible... nay, damn well will happen :super: .. equipment and assistance aside it's just the recipe that needs locking in now.. (off to have a look at the link)

Yob

I don't have any cubes, not too worried about taking one away. Five cubes is a bit of brewing to get through when you're knocking back beers at the same time as running 3 systems.
I've got lots of beer anyway :beerbang:

I'll be happy enough just to be part of the brew day and I've got some sacks of JW ale malt that would love to be converted into brown liquid.

Looking at the recipe I don't have any of the hops you're after but I can donate the JW trad ale malt for 3 batches.

I take it there enough equipment to set up three systems? The car I have atm doesn't have a towbar, otherwise I'd just hook on the trailer and bring the lot, 3 tier frame and all. My 4 ring burner is attached to the frame as a fairly permanent fixture (Meaning wired on with stainless wire, easy to remove but pita to re-fit). So if I can't bring the whole frame my burner will have to stay at home. All my other gear is available as listed on the equipment list.

Looks as though we may need 3 systems for 120+lt.. ?? people wanting cubes are

1: iamozziyob
2. Manticle
3. Midnight Brew
4. Siborg
5. Husky (if theres enough)
6. peakydh??? (thought he was in there but may be mistaken)

Its looking to be rather a large brewday and I for one welcome the assistance, just quietly shitting myself thinking that 2 novices will be in control of the large brew... Im not sure of the logistics of it all, but I hope to have all the equipment on hand early enough preceeding the event to have it all in place on the 9th so all that will be needed is to heat water and mill grain on the day..

From a look at the equipment list it should be possible... nay, damn well will happen :super: .. equipment and assistance aside it's just the recipe that needs locking in now.. (off to have a look at the link)

Yob

There'll be plenty around to help. I'm happy to be as hands on or off as you like - main thing is just getting there quickly after the bulk buy. People bringing BIAB systems can probably run those and we can just combine the runnings (hoping we have a big enough kettle available).

I'm happy to to go fifth in the list of cube priorities too.

I'll write out a detailed list of instructions on how to run my system (not that it's complicated) so you have an easy reference.

It'll be sweet mate.

Mash in, talk some shit.
Set up sparge, talk some shit.
Turn on gas burner, talk some more shit.
Flame out and you have beer.

It looks like I'll be able to pick up my grain and head straight to the case swap. Would it be ok if I drop off all my gear and beer on the Friday arvo? I have to drive up to Tecoma on Fri arvo anyway so may as well drop off my gear etc at Ringwood. Can get a reasonably early mash in this way.

Back