AHB Articles: 2011 AHB Vic Christmas Case Swap - Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so.. on site we have...

3 Ring Burner (Should have adjustable reg by then) - 2 x 50lt Kegs (only 1 fitted but should have the other g2g by xmas) - willow mash tun I assume will not be enough -

I have enough gas bottles for the BBQ and Spit only.

Capture.JPG

Welcome to borrow any of my bits and pieces as long as I can arrange with someone to get them to and from your place.

50 L tun, 50 L keggle, 9.5 and 4.5kg gas bottles, 4 ring burner, 40 L HLT, 2400kW immersion element

Welcome to borrow any of my bits and pieces as long as I can arrange with someone to get them to and from your place.

50 L tun, 50 L keggle, 9.5 and 4.5kg gas bottles, 4 ring burner, 40 L HLT, 2400kW immersion element

Im sure we can work something out there... shall I also put you down for a piece of turf for the night? (/Bungalo?)

could always do what we did at mine... two systems side by side. I don't have the pot anymore though, so may need to do two complete systems side by side.

Although, I know someone who is participating has a huge, **** off, mash tun and kettle. Whether or not he can be swayed to bring it....
I suppose it also depends on who wants a cube

shall I also put you down for a piece of turf for the night? (/Bungalo?)

Put me down as a tentative. It may depend on what a couple of other swappers intend as there's a few of us close enough to each other to cabshare.

If anyone does have accomodation issues please PM and I will see what I can do.

I can see the tent city already

:icon_cheers:

Is there a spot to park my van? I might camp out again in that.

Is there a spot to park my van? I might camp out again in that.

there is loads of parking out front however it is a fairly well travelled road and a side street may serve you better traffic wise...

but then again after 'the day' an earthquake would be unlikely to wake most

;)

We seem to have 4 cube takers. There are 3 votes for an american amber/pale and 1 for an English Pale so if the cubers are also the voters (at least one isn't as I haven't voted) then the US amber looks like the go.

I propose as a recipe my house APA which is caramelly/sweet enough to fit american amber but has a very good supporting bitterness (upwards of 55 IBU) and seems to be well balanced according to my own palate and the palates of fellow brewers.

Recipe is here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1276

- to be scaled up to final volume. I think we need to cap it at either 80 or 100 L max.

Recipe can be tweaked or an alternative recipe suggested. What do relevant people think?

ticks all the right boxes for me. Maybe drop the pils for just ale malt? thoughts?

recipe sounds good either way to me.. I will have to secure the yeast (not tried to date) and source the flower additions but otherwise, apart form the centennial (not tried to date) I usually have the rest of the hops in pellet form laying about.

:icon_cheers:

Have done it many times with chinook pellets. Recipe was originally designed around the gift of a fellow brewer's homegrown chinook (hence the flowers).

I can certainly contribute amarillo and base/spec malts.

As for yeast - generally case swaps are no chilled, so yeast is up to the cube taker. US05 works fine, as does 1056 or 1272.

whats the thoughts about a BIAB v's 3v on the day? I know the equipment that midnight brew is bringing is BIAB setup... from the look of it we are going to need 2 systems? (which I think will be no drama between us)

hmmmm better start thinking about where were gunna set these bad boys up... I might have to do a little re-arrangement of the shed ;) (covered but open at the front)

Yob

1 biab, 1 3v, two brewers with half the grist each, combine the wort for the boil.

Who's stepping up to the plate brew-wise?

Im up for it fo' shizzle... I rekon I need the experience as Im hoping to do my first AG next thursday on my birthday as a trial run.. he he... birthday brewing :lol:

I think Midnightbrew may well be up for it too... (apologies for naming you if you aint)
Working backwards from about 3 to allow time to get the spit going etc (unless someone elso is putting a hand up for Chef duty).. I rekon we should aim for an early in the day mash in for about half 11-12?

The thing I dont know yet is how long it will take to get all the strike water to temps... I hope to test this weekend as Im sittin here looking at a delivery docket for my immersion element :beerbang: ...

the rubberised keg I will be using for a HLT got cut on the weekend, damn that was a messy, smelly job.. 2 layers of SS with a sandwiched layer of rubber over and in between the 2 layers of SS.. twice as hard to cut the lid than a SS Keg and 10 times as noxious :icon_vomit:

Yob

[edit] aint we gunna need two boils? there are 4 down for a cube and the biggest pot is 80l form Midnight brew... but we have 3 or so keggles and burners

@ Manticle, whats the OD of your 4 ring? I rekon it may well fit into my bling ass brewstand?

I'll measure it.

You sure you want to take charge of brewing AND host?

I'll be more than happy to lend a hand with both but it's your shindig.

You sure you want to take charge of brewing AND host?

I rekon as long as I get the setup right it wont be too much of an issue, Ive been giving this alot of thought lately and have converted part of the shed to allow for 2 x 3v (if required) and a BIAB aint so much of an issue but I have a spot for it.

Will throw up a photo later tonight for you guys to have a captain cook at and any advice will be appreciated. I rekon it's gunna do the job though.

SWMBO (presuming a SWMBO is permissable at these digs?) will be on hand to assist with anything that Ive missed, but I rekon we will have most of it sorted, it's just the foods that will take a bit to throw on a table and turn the gas on for the Meat..

I rekon it will be OK.. not sure of this but Si had a fair crack at both in July didnt he? If their are duty's that must be performed (by me) then someone Im sure will be on hand to assist (brewing) where required. I certainly dont want to rule myself out just to be standing round watching ;)

Yob

[edit] Mants your assistance/advice will be greatfully accepted on the day as im sure that leaving me to to my own devices is not what anyone will appreciate :rolleyes:

Back