AHB Articles: 2011 AHB Vic Christmas Case Swap - Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be sweet mate.

Mash in, talk some shit.
Set up sparge, talk some shit.
Turn on gas burner, talk some more shit.
Flame out and you have beer.

It looks like I'll be able to pick up my grain and head straight to the case swap. Would it be ok if I drop off all my gear and beer on the Friday arvo? I have to drive up to Tecoma on Fri arvo anyway so may as well drop off my gear etc at Ringwood. Can get a reasonably early mash in this way.

:D happy for this to be the case, drop ya gear whenever you like... I think I will set up 2 hooks for BIAB'ers just in case.. (will print off the list and PM Details during the weekend)

I have a 3v on site albeit only 44l mash tun and with manticles system also available combined with Midnight's 80l ali pot I think we can get there, For the electric needers I think im going to need an extra extension cord or two as the poor old shed is only equipped with a 10amp circut, does my HLT ok (just) but for additional Elec needs I'd feel safer running a second or third line from a different circut so if anyone has access to a long(ish) extension cord, that may help a bit... (Just in case)

Now... to source some flowers B)

I think the recipe looks great and I havnt tried centenial yet so Im all for it!!

:icon_chickcheers:

What's the size of our boil kettle or are we going to split it into 2 kettles?

2 or 3 kettles I should think... Midnights is the bigger @ 80l,

You and I have the keggles and Husky has his BIAB system... Not sure how big that one is but I presume it to be sufficient for 30 odd L?? Maybe it's bigger???

How many L can we pull from your MT Mants? If we can pull a dubbel out of it we can do away with my MT..??

We have the capacity to run 2 x 3V (1 gas and 1 elec HLT) and 2 x BIAB's if we need to... Pretty much have converted the Shed into a small brewspace but there is enough room to have them all going if needs be..... Delightful chaos ;)

My MT is 50 L. More than possible to pull a double batch from it - I just don't have a big enough kettle to do more than a 1.5x size.

If we can get hold of a 120 L pot for boiling we will be better off in regards to hop additions etc - especially with this recipe. There's a lot of hop additions after 30 mins.

120 L pot for boiling we will be better off in regards to hop additions etc - especially with this recipe. There's a lot of hop additions after 30 mins.

Anyone ??

What was used in the July sawp or didnt you need one that big? I cannot recall whose it was..

1.JPG

If you've got a burner that can go under my keggle (on bricks?) and a table that I can put my mash tun and urn on I can knock out a batch just with my equipment. (I'll bring a gas bottle and reg) First cube sorted.

If Midnight Brew can bring all the gear he needs (might pay to ask) to knock out a BIAB that's the second cube sorted.

If ozziyob and manticle can source a big kettle and use a 50L mash tun that's the 3rd and 4th cubes sorted.

I don't mind if ozziyob then wants to run my gear to knock out the fifth cube whist I sit down.... :icon_drunk:

If I'm way off here, just tell me to shut up and let you guys sort it ;)

If you've got a burner that can go under my keggle (on bricks?) Yes I go Ive got the 3 ring with adjustable reg and a table that I can put my mash tun and urn on I can knock out a batch just with my equipment. (I'll bring a gas bottle and reg) First cube sorted.

If Midnight Brew can bring all the gear he needs (might pay to ask) to knock out a BIAB that's the second cube sorted.

If ozziyob and manticle can source a big kettle and use a 50L mash tun that's the 3rd and 4th cubes sorted.

I rekon Midnights is good for an easy double with his 80l ali pot and mongo burner/stand... as Mants points out though it would be easier with hop additions with a pot capable of the whole load... at this point I dont see it happening and may end up with burners all over the joint... :lol: (Midnights and 2 keggles)

Husky is going to bring his rig too that that could sort the 5th... I dont wanna be doing 2 runs that day :rolleyes:

it's gunna be fun no matter what... anyway here is the area we have got, just rigging up the overhead hooks for the BIAB's

1.JPG

Plenty of room for whatever we need and will be set up as such.

Yob

as Mants points out though it would be easier with hop additions with a pot capable of the whole load...

Ahh, sorry I didn't pick up on the bit where all the runnings would go into the same pot. Yes, that would be ideal.

3 burners going in the shed, hope it's not 40 degrees that day!

Anyone ??

What was used in the July sawp or didnt you need one that big? I cannot recall whose it was..

View attachment 50247
Was my 90-something litre. Boil volume was 85L and we ended up with approx 16-17L in each of the four cubes. I sold this off to vitalstatistix when I bought my Braumeister (happy to bring this along on the day - just need a 10A plug) and I think he's converted it into a mash tun

Let me know if you need any spec malts and I'll see what I've got - or I'll grab some for you.

when I bought my Braumeister

well.... mr fancy pants :lol: would love to see it in action but I think all the spare amperage I can handle will be fully utilised as it stands... :rolleyes: will let you know if the situation changes though..

piccies?

So... I guess I should get on and make a Hop order?

are we going as per recipe with flowers (If available) or sub in pellet? Would like to get the order in ASAP Ive just printed off the recipe and will add it all up and aim for a Hop order tomoz.

Let me know if there is anything, Hop wise, that I shouldnt order.

Yob

I have 150g of Centennial '10 7.7% AA that can all be used. Donation to a greater good: beer.

thats just about spot on.. I count roughly 125g of Centenial, so will cross that one off..

I have Chinook Pellet and some Amarillo (will confirm weights I have on hand tonight) at home in the freezer too but would welcome chinook flowers if anyone has got some?

Also.. does anyone have some scales that can bring (or drop before) that will weigh the grain bill, the scales I have at home will be a bit of a hassle as it will not weigh 5kg +.. not sure if they EVEN weigh 5Kg

They do my small scale stuff OK but this is a different beast :excl:

Yob

[edit] Hop List

I've got some sacks of JW ale malt that would love to be converted into brown liquid.

This sounds like the shizzle mate..

this being the case, leaves to get sorted

10Kg of Pilsner Malt
5Kg Munich I
2.5Kg Wheat Malt..

If anyone can assist here please let us know as Id like to get the final list and order anything that cant be supplied.

Yob

This sounds like the shizzle mate..

this being the case, leaves to get sorted

10Kg of Pilsner Malt
5Kg Munich I
2.5Kg Wheat Malt..

If anyone can assist here please let us know as Id like to get the final list and order anything that cant be supplied.

Yob

Should be able to cover the 10kg of Pilsner Malt, Ive got JW Pils and think I'll have about 10kg maybe 9 or 11 so put me down for that too.

you'se can borrow my 120L pot with beer belly hop screen if you like but someone has to pick it up from Watsonia and drop it back as im not quite sure how i'll be getting there yet. you can even borrow the 120L mashtun and spiral burner too if you like.

Cheers Fents. Sounds good to me (although I can't pick up so I shouldn't speak too soon).

I have enough amarillo and chinook - will also have malt by then but grabbibng it in the BB so it may be too late at that point. Can supply brewing salts and carrageegan too.

I'll check stocks but I may have enough wheat to chuck in before the day too.

Im pretty sure I still have a half bag of wheat, will check tonight.
If were going to run seperate systems and combine, my BIAB will mash about 8-10kg of grain @80% efficiency and as a kettle will boil 70L but requires 20A .

Back