AHB Articles: 2011 AHB Vic Christmas Case Swap - Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all and sundry for the assistance yesterday.

For those of you who enquired about the immersion element, The one that blew up, it was purchaced in October through Tobin Electrical.. they will be getting a phone call tomoz from a very irate customer.

grumbles and grinds teeth... took care of it and only used the ******* thing half a dozen times... thats $22 a use currently... bollox..

:icon_cheers:

Thanks to all and sundry for the assistance yesterday.

For those of you who enquired about the immersion element, The one that blew up, it was purchaced in October through Tobin Electrical.. they will be getting a phone call tomoz from a very irate customer.

grumbles and grinds teeth... took care of it and only used the ******* thing half a dozen times... thats $22 a use currently... bollox..

:icon_cheers:

It was good fun aye!

Yeah old mate give em hell about the element !

Went to pitch my 1272 yeast today and the good news is the gravity was around 1065 (as predicted).

Bad news is I had tip the old girl out and discard the cube. Bad infection.

Not the fault of anyone at the swap. Bugger though. Was looking forward to some homemade apa when I return from tassie. I'll have to taste someone else's.

Went to pitch my 1272 yeast today and the good news is the gravity was around 1065 (as predicted).

Bad news is I had tip the old girl out and discard the cube. Bad infection.

Not the fault of anyone at the swap. Bugger though. Was looking forward to some homemade apa when I return from tassie. I'll have to taste someone else's.

Sad news indeed, weird though, i could have sworn on 1060, will take your word for it though as it makes the brewer look good.. lol.. Will be sure to set a couple of bottles aside, have fun down south mate

Yob

Could have been temp of the wort when measuring, could have been the bad smell made my vision blurry. 1060, 1065 whichever - obviously an OK job done with mashing, sparhing and boiling.

Possibly from the method used to get some volume into your cube? What else could have infected it?
Mine is down to 1.012 using coopers yeast, just dry hopped with 30g of centenial, first time I have dry hopped since extract days. Smells great in the fermenter. Will save you 100ml! LOL (Will put a few aside ;) )

Could be not sealed properly. It's an infection I've had before (smells like it anyway) and it's usually been a cube I've hung onto that may have a dodgy seal (I usually pitch the day after) or from a dodgy/suspect starter vessel (I now boil and chill starter wort in the same erlenmeyer flask and have avoided infection since doing so).

Cube was still squeezed in at the sides and let out an intake hiss when I undid the lid but for me, filling to the top ,if not fermenting for a while, is the path I will take from here on. Just wasn't organised enough with the yeast.

Remind what the method to get volume was? I may have been tipsy at the time.

Lots of mucking around after the siphon tube fell into the cube. Some dodgy methods may have been employed to retrieve it :huh: Think everyone was tipsy at the time

Oh well. If that was it, then that was it. Fun was had, beer was drunk, wort was lost.

Oh well. If that was it, then that was it. Fun was had, beer was drunk, wort was lost.

There were a number of transfers to get your volume, kettle to your cube, your cube to another while we retrieved the siphon hose, then finally from my cube to yours... i may have also been tipsy by that point.. And had numb fingers.. I do remember that bit though (shamefully)

Bottles will be saved for you.

Bottled tonight. Re cultured coopers yeast chomped it down to 1.008/9 from 1.065. Fermented at 20 degrees to try get a hint of banana aroma.
Andrew, can you post the recipe as it was made on the day, I think I will have a go at this again one day. First time I've sat and drank a glass of green un carbed beer as I bottled LOL! May start dry hopping all my brews.

Bottled tonight. Re cultured coopers yeast chomped it down to 1.008/9 from 1.065. Fermented at 20 degrees to try get a hint of banana aroma.
Andrew, can you post the recipe as it was made on the day, I think I will have a go at this again one day. First time I've sat and drank a glass of green un carbed beer as I bottled LOL! May start dry hopping all my brews.

Mine got down to 1008 too with a harvested and repitched US-05, its going to spend a week at 2'c while im up Brissie way, looking forward to botteling it when I get back.

RECIPE I Think Manticle is down south, Im pretty sure it went as per the recipe.

Yob

hey guys

i had to tip mine too. went to pitch it earlier in the week and it was swollen up pretty badly. opened her up and there was quite a bad stench. ill have to have a go at this recipe as it looked like a cracker.

hey guys

i had to tip mine too. went to pitch it earlier in the week and it was swollen up pretty badly. opened her up and there was quite a bad stench. ill have to have a go at this recipe as it looked like a cracker.

Yours was from the BIAB wasnt it?

I will have to PM Midnightbrew and see where he is with his... bottled mine last friday and am splitting it with Manticle.. will drop a couple of bottles over to you too Si... if'n ya'd like?

:ph34r:

Yours was from the BIAB wasnt it?

I will have to PM Midnightbrew and see where he is with his... bottled mine last friday and am splitting it with Manticle.. will drop a couple of bottles over to you too Si... if'n ya'd like?

:ph34r:
I think so? I just grabbed a cube at the end of the night which I thought looked closest to mine. Given that they were all the blue ones, It could have been any.
Thanks mate, that'd be great.

Ozzyyob kindly dropped me off a very decent amount of bottles (more than I deserve) which I have been enjoying.

Tastes great to my palate (it is my recipe so I may be biased). Well mashed and fermented yob.

Keen to know others' thoughts.

havnt actually opened one yet Mants, I was thinking that it would need some time in the bottle..??? Maybe it's time I dug one out from the cellar...

mmm starting to look good down there :beerbang:

Wonderful thing about AG - a lot of beers are ready for drinking way earlier than kit/extract. Beer dependent obviously but this kind of hoppy beer is good to go as soon as she's carbed.

I bottled an American Wheat last Saturday and opened one last night. It's good to go, I'm ripping into it right now. Tasty... :chug:

Back