AHB Articles: 2011 AHB Vic Christmas Case Swap - Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was gunna race him ;)

it's no biggie but would just be nice... in all honesty the mash in will probably be at slightly different times I expect

My mash paddle kicks arse. There won't be too much difference in mash in times, could set a different stopwatch for each mash if you want to get particular, probably not a stupid idea though.

In attempting to fit Manticle's 4 ring burner to my ghetto Kettle stand last night, I broke the effing thing <_< .. many expletives later I ran off to get some cutting wheels and made it back with 'just' enough light left to make a few mods and get it welded back up... god damn it look the goods now :icon_drunk: The 80l pot fits like the proverbial finger on the new reinforced kettle stand...
:icon_chickcheers:

do we need my italian spiral burner for my kettle? or should i send it just in case?

do we need my italian spiral burner for my kettle? or should i send it just in case?

We're going to be boiling about 75 litres using a medium pressure reg and 4 ring burner. I think that should be OK? Not sure how the BIAB is running.

Jesse: here is the recipe I have worked out for my tun (hope I haven't cocked it up). Ingredients wise I think it will be the same for BIAB but other details will need to be worked out by BIABers (water volumes, losses etc). Tried to attach it but wasn't allowed so:

Type: All grain

Size: 50 liters

Color: 22 HCU (~13 SRM)

Bitterness: 58 IBU

OG: 1.060

FG: 1.012

Alcohol: 6.2% v/v (4.9% w/w)

Grain: 4.55kg Wey Pilsner

4.55kg JW trad ale
1.12kg JW Wheat malt
2.25kg Wey Munich
0.57kg Ding biscuit
0.45kg Simpsons or JW light crystal 95-115L
0.23kg Simpsons or JW dark crystal 135-165L

Mash: 70% efficiency

Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.046 75 liters

Hops: 40.0g amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
77.5g Cascade (5.6% AA, 60 min.)

40g Amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
12.5g amarillo (8.5% AA, 30 min.)
12.5g Chinook (11% AA, 30 min.)

12.5g Chinook (11% AA, 25 min.)

12.5g Chinook (11% AA, 20 min.)

12.5g Chinook (11% AA, 15 min.)
12.5g amarillo (8.5% AA, 15 min.)
12.5g amarillo (8.5% AA, 10 min.)

12.5g amarillo (8.5% AA, 5 min.)

12.5g amarillo (aroma)
12.5g Chinook (aroma)

12.5 g cascade (aroma)

NB: Aroma hops added after whirlpool.

1 tab whirlfloc@10

5g Calcium chloride

5g Calcium Sulphate each to mash and boil

1. Preheat tun with 2 litres boiling water, add 5g each salt type, let stand for 10 minutes.

2. Mash in at a ratio of 2.5 L per kg of grain, adding part water, part grain and stirring out doughballs as you go. Total water 34 litres@ 75 degrees. Refill HLT, heat to 76 degrees

3. When temp is 65-66, tighten lid, mash 60 minutes.

4. Gently drain a few litres into a pot or jug and empty, gently into back of tun. Repeat until wort starts to clear and few/no grain bits are appearing in the wort. Wort does not need to be crystal clear. Add another 5g each brewing salt. Begin gentle heating.

5. Add 30 litres 76 degree water to mash tun, stir and let stand 10 minutes. Drain again

6. Repeat step 5.

7. Bring pot to boil, covered. When boil starts, remove lid and boil hard for at least 15 minutes

8. Reduce heat so wort is moving but not volcanic, begin hop additions

9. At end of boil, turn off heat and cover pot with sanitised lid.

10. Leave 20 minutes or until wort looks relatively still. Whirlpool, beginning gently from outside then bringing spoon towards centre, holding it straight. Try not to splash but get a vigorous motion going until an actual whirlpool forms. Leave stand another 10-20 minutes. Add final hop addition

11. Drain into sanitised cubes.

have ordered the munich from Boronia... shit happens, didnt want to get caught short so went ahead and ordered it... I imagine he would get quite shitty about it if I cancel now :unsure:

@ Peaky - I had eyes on the mash paddle you are bringing for the 3V so if someone has another? I do have one but it is 50c ghetto and isnt gunna cut it on this scale

Yob

I have 6kg of Munich 1 I can bring. Give Brewers den a ring and see if its an issue to cancel. If they had it in stock I cant see a problem.

5. Add 30 litres 76 degree water to mash tun, stir and let stand 10 minutes. Drain again
OK
6. Repeat step 5.
PROBLEM HERE

The proble here will be the 60l of water, the HLT can cope with 40l (max), if I have to add water and reheat there will be a significant delay... I guess we can always gas fire a 20l pot on the side...??

**** it, she'll be right... will sort something out for it...

The BIAB has a 32 jet mongolian to fire it so shouldnt be an issue there, I will set up most of the equipment tonight...

boil 75l in a 80l pot? boilover potential 80-90% :drinks:

will have a good look at this later

Cheers all

@ husky - will ring them and enquire and then give you a call with the result.

I have 6kg of Munich 1 I can bring. Give Brewers den a ring and see if its an issue to cancel. If they had it in stock I cant see a problem.

please do mate as Ive just cancelled the order... he wasnt to evil about it :unsure:

anybody got Husky's number to confirm this? I thought I had it but I do not.

Yob

20 L pot on the side sounds like a great idea.

Can run off an extra 5 litres from the BIAB mash if we need the headspace. I'm sure everything will balance out. I can do 45 litres in my 50 L keggle - a handy spray keeps the boilover away.

anyone used that brewbrite stuff? I has a bag o that I aint used or it's irish moss... I suspect though (need to check) I dont have enough irish moss..

brewbrite then...

I have a jar of irish moss and some Munich, let me know if I need to bring either (or something else) for you guys.

I have a jar of irish moss

that may come in handy wolfy that'd be great, what time do ya think ya will be here? optimistic 12 to 12:30 mash in all cards drop well. Im pretty sure the grain is all sorted though.. cheers

cant wait to crank up the motorised mill :lol: :beerbang: :icon_drunk:

that may come in handy wolfy that'd be great, what time do ya think ya will be here? optimistic 12 to 12:30 mash in all cards drop well. Im pretty sure the grain is all sorted though.. cheers
I'll get there after SWMBO's sewing class and the rent is paid (2-3pm) since you wont need it till end of boil that should work OK?
(ps: need the address too) :)

cant wait to crank up the motorised mill :lol: :beerbang: :icon_drunk:

The gap on the mill is set at 1mm. This works well for my 3v gravity. Are you still doing a BIAB today? If so, you may want to close the gap down to 0.9mm to better the efficiency. If you have some feeler gauges go for it. I'll bring my gauges and will be there at about 12 noon, but you may want to mill before then. Up to you

I'll get there after SWMBO's sewing class and the rent is paid (2-3pm) since you wont need it till end of boil that should work OK?
(ps: need the address too) :)

if we do mash in at 12 we will be about end of boil half 2? if ya not here we willl sub the brewbrite... 'sall good

pm sent with address.

Yob

Boil: 60 minutes

60 miin boil with pils? I thought you needed a 90 min boil? I previously saw 75 min earlier :unsure:

I presume the boil hard at the start is the trade off?

meh... Im easy

:icon_cheers:

off to boronia to get the last of the ingredients needed.. this is gunna :beerbang:

Back