Age Article - Sweet 'beers' To Attract Higher Tax

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D

Has anyone got any hard evidence/facts? I'm hesistant to pass judgement til I've seen what's actually been passed...

Latest incarnations:
http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/downlo...plication%2Fpdf

and

They just need the support of Family First now, which considering their views on binge drinking shouldn't be too difficult. I could be wrong though.

Any news how this affects importers like Pheonix? I presume they're going to have to send off samples for IBU/Sugar analysis?

Latest incarnations:

and

They just need the support of Family First now, which considering their views on binge drinking shouldn't be too difficult. I could be wrong though.

Any news how this affects importers like Pheonix? I presume they're going to have to send off samples for IBU/Sugar analysis?

It's difficult to tell. Their policy doesn't mention anything about taxation (though their 'policies' are really short and shite)

FAMILY FIRST has a plan to reduce Australia's alcohol toll, and
has introduced the Alcohol Toll Reduction Bill 2007 into
Parliament to require health information labels on all alcohol
products; restrict TV and radio alcohol advertising to after 9pm and
before 5am to stop alcohol being marketed to young people;
require all alcohol ads to be pre-approved by a government body;
and ban alcohol ads which are aimed at children or which link
drinking to personal, business, social, sporting, sexual or other
success

According to this post in his blog, Fielding is not convinced that the tax is working, so it's interesting times ahead.

EDIT: I know this is unrelated, but I just did a giant LOL at this joke of a policy statement-

TREATIES
Parliament should have the capacity to ratify treaties and also to review
ratification.

In ratifying treaties, Family First believes that we should ensure that Australia
does not cede any sovereignty.

International cooperation

and relationship building, is in principle, a good
thing. Australia has a proud record in its history of UN support and
involvements.

The Australian Parliament should always be careful to examine the merits of
particular treaties with consideration of the benefits and costs to Australian
Families. Parliament should also have regard to the benefits and costs to
families in the other country or countries.

At the end of the day (you getting this Sully?) ;) What's the diff between an alcopop and a barefoot radler, Yes I drank a couple at Xmas, a female in the family had bought a carton and to me it tasted like the old pommy lager and lime or any number of alcoholic lolly waters.

Special Minister of State John Faulkner said the Coalition was developing a pattern of missing crucial votes.

"The Government does respect the convention, we will recommit this vote even though in recommitting it we will be blowing a $1.6 billion hole in our Budget," he said.

All the claims that this was anything other than a very cynical grab for revenue were laughable. Faulkner demonstrated this with his comments today.

Wow. I didnt expect that strange and deranged little moron had it in him.

The right vote for all the wrong reasons it seems...

Hell yeah - suck on that, Mr freakin' Rudd! Hot damn!

I don't order anything else other than beer when I'm out, apart from the occasional flaming shot perhaps, but this thing being knocked back is good news. It means the Government needs to pull its out out of its arse and stop collecting taxes from bills that aren't passed yet, and also that it can't run a sh!theap organisation that makes legislation without research and compromise when it comes to the crunch. Hell, even Jo Bloe selling his car will tell you ask high and take offers.

I'm happy anyways, and well enjoying this fine Blockbuster Bitter.

Cheers - boingk

Now, it's onto the retailers to re-lower their prices.......

hahaha

A report from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare found men are responsible for more than 70 per cent of alcohol-related hospital admissions and twice as likely to die from alcohol-related illnesses.
yes clearly it's female drinking we have to crack down on. lucky this piece of shit was knocked back in the senate. i'm surprised it was fielding tho...

hahaha

yes clearly it's female drinking we have to crack down on. lucky this piece of shit was knocked back in the senate. i'm surprised it was fielding tho...
Fielding wanted to make the thing more draconian and stupid though. No television advertising during daylight sporting events or some such.

Yes, I'm kicking this back off again. Seems that 'those who represent us' are trying to make another push for 'the thing we don't want', just that now it's 'in a different form' and they're trying to keep the money they got last time to boot.

As for 'stopping underage drinking', I read a great analogy - 'this is like raising the cost of tires to prevent burnouts - it hurts everyone, while trying to prevent something that is already illegal.' I like it. After reading that, I also seem to be in the mood for inverted commas... better not let the government know, they'll start taxing them.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...589-601,00.html
Alcopops tax to get second chance
LEGISLATION to resurrect the alcopops tax and validate revenue already collected will be introduced when parliament returns next month.

At a press conference today with Treasurer Wayne Swan, Health Minister Nicola Roxon said the Government's alcopops policy was a success as it dramatically reduced sales of the ready-to-drink beverages.

The Government wasn't prepared to abandon those gains, Ms Roxon said.

Since April last year, the Government has collected $365 million from distillers and distributors.

The 70 per cent tax hike on the sweetened, pre-mixed drinks failed by one vote in the Senate last month, severely embarrassing the Government.

The alcopops tax hike took effect from midnight on April 26 last year but was only formally put to the House of Representatives on budget night last year, which fell on May 13.

Parliament must pass supporting legislation for the revenue measure within 12 months of the latter date, leaving the Government with just two sitting days to secure the votes needed to keep it in place.

Parliament resumes on May 12, with the tax office collecting the alcopops excise at the higher rate until midnight on May 13.

The Coalition voted against the alcopops tax hike, but has called on the Government to retain revenue collected so far.

Damn you news.com.au - seems it's come down to "is too" "is not" arguing.

I know, I know, these things get automated, but really, think of a new headline.

DamnYouNewsComAu.jpg

Latest posts

Back