Advice On Pot Purchase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
Yes, of the stainless steel type.

Does anyone in Perth know of a good place to buy cheap stainless steel pots over 15 litre capacity? Or is someone selling such a thing privately? I need one badly, as I found last night that doing splits with boiling wort is not a good idea.
Thanks for any advice.

Tin-tin, Cheap and good don't go together, so you may have some issues.
Perth is fairly large, better to put the suburb you're in.
Can get some nice large ones from Kongs Oriental Supermarkets (one across from the Park Centre in Vic Pk) but they're a really thin base, not much good for boiling with, unless you put some typ of diffuser right under the pot to take the edge of it. Cubbie's used them and reckon's he hasn't caramalised anything yet... but. Reddot or even BigW do up to 15L. I got an 11.5L which does for Brewconverters and that kinda thing. They're reasonably priced atless than $25, or try WA Salvage as well, they generally got a bunch of thin base ones for stuff all.

If you want decent though, you'll probablw spend upwards of $75 on a pot that size and have to find somewhere that sells them too. Maybe a catering supply mob.
Good luck !

Thanks...I was kind of expecting to pay around $50 to $70. I'm in Mt Hawthorn but I'll do the rounds of the Asian supermarkets. They've always got surprises in amongst the woks and strainers.

My Bro got a nice ~12litre AcroSteel pot for $50, and that was from out of they shop in DonnyBrook, so price was probably a bit inflated. Maybe try K-Mart if you don't mind spending some dollars.

My little 11.5 litre pot was ~$18 and I've done an extract recipe in it, but it was a slow boil, kinda rolling. You just need to keep a really close eye on them.

Red dot stores sell shitty SS pots that are about 13 litrres, for $10, I bought 2 to start my brewing boiling, but boiling 2 pots is a pain in the tuccus, but then again, I was only tringy brewing to see if I liked it...

Righto, I'll avoid Red Dot. By the sounds of things, I'd better get one with a thick base. Time to auction one of my kidneys on e-bay (for what they're worth...I still might only be able to afford a shitty pot).

Quite a few including myself using the $19.95 BigW 19lt SS pot with glass lid. The bottom is no thicker than the sides, but it's fine.

I make bulk soups, stews and curry's through the winter and freeze them into meal sized portions - I have a 12l Scanpan stockpot for that - was looking to use it for a brew, but it's way too heavy (and the thought of scarring it with a burn would be my ruination!).

Will have a look around, I'm thinking 15l without a tap is the biggest / heaviest that I'd be able to handle.

CHeers - Mike

How about Army Disposals, they have a multitude of interestiong bits popping up from time to time.
Acid vats, look like a beer keg but not sure about construction, I have seen F250 4WD's armed with them as fuel tanks, not sure where they come from but they are out there somewhere, I think they are stainless as opposed to alloy.
The dairy industry throw out there stainless gear after a while before it becomes pitted so maybe a call to a food manufacturer could yield some goods.

Latest posts

Back