Advice/comments on my Big Pig recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB

Reaction score
Gday, I've been digging up some old recipe discussion threads for Hop Hogs & following comments there + what I have on hand, I've smooshed together the following recipe & want to get any feedback. Cheers

[SIZE=9pt]JB Big Pig AIPA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Recipe Specs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]----------------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Batch Size (L): 25.0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Total Grain (kg): 6.500[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Total Hops (g): 210.00[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Colour (SRM): 14.2 (EBC): 28.0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Bitterness (IBU): 67.2 (Average)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 69[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Boil Time (Minutes): 90[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Grain Bill - 6.5kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]4.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (69.23%)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]0.500 kg Caraamber (7.69%)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]0.500 kg Caramunich III (7.69%)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]0.500 kg Carared (7.69%)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]0.500 kg Wheat Malt (7.69%)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Hop Bill - 210g[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]20.0 g Warrior Pellet (15.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.8 g/L)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]10.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Misc Bill[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]1.1 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 5 Minutes (Boil)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05 yeast starter[/SIZE]

I also meant to add regarding the hops; Warrior in there to boost bitterness, taken Galaxy out of the dry hop to reduce grassiness & dry hop will go in on day 7 for 7 days.

Thanks John, should I be scaling back to 5% or 10% max?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use more tha 6-7% crystal total. Hop hog is more light orange colour, & being an APA, AIPA style I rekon use light crystal (bb caramalt) & some drk munich. 5-6% ea.

Aipa seems to be light on the malty which balances to the hops.

consider up to 10% dex.

Hi JB,

The hop combo looks tops and should make a very hoppy beer, personally i would take the 1min addition and combine that with the dry hop but thats just me. Looking at the malt bill that caramunich 3 is too much, take that out and replace the carared with cararoma at 250g, which means you ale malt will go up by 750g.

Just wondering how your mashing this? 6.5kg on my system at 80% gets me 1.072 and a 5kg malt bill would get me to 1.056, it seems like alot of malt for a low end IPA.

my 2c

Pratty1 said:
Hi JB,

The hop combo looks tops and should make a very hoppy beer, personally i would take the 1min addition and combine that with the dry hop but thats just me. Looking at the malt bill that caramunich 3 is too much, take that out and replace the carared with cararoma at 250g, which means you ale malt will go up by 750g.

Just wondering how your mashing this? 6.5kg on my system at 80% gets me 1.072 and a 5kg malt bill would get me to 1.056, it seems like alot of malt for a low end IPA.

my 2c
Thanks John & Pratty for your responses.

Does the 1min addition not really add too much, would I be getting more bang for hop dry hopping instead?

I single step mash & batch sparge, no recirc. This will be my 6th AG batch, working on approx 70% efficiency. I've scaled the grain back a bit, what do you reckon:

5kg Pale Ale Malt (80%)
.6kg Wheat Malt (16%)
.25kg Caraamber (4%)
1.056 - 5.5% - 66 IBU

The 1 minute additions do add aroma and add to the Ibu count but you do lose alot of the aroma to boil off. Most people move that 1min to a whirlpool hop or a steeping at 80c for 15mins for a bigger aroma kick along with the dry hop.

The advice I got with my Black IPA was to hop at 60m for bittering, 15m, 10m and 5m for flavour and aroma and then dry hop at at least 2.5g per Litre and that made the best IPA to date for me. ( i used magnum at 60mins for 50% of the ibu and the 15m,10m and 5m hop combo made the other 50% of the ibu)

That malt bill looks like my house ale :) - I think you will find with only the 3 malts for your 6th brew will be beneficial to understanding the overall taste of the beer.

personal opinion here, and i agree with pratty about the malt bill, but i don't see or have much difference with so many hop additions within 5 mins of each other. to me it seems kind of half assed. my most recent ipas have had more success with either a massive 20, 15 (and more recently 10) min addition and then a solid 5, 1 or 0 min addition respectively.

fletcher said:
personal opinion here, and i agree with pratty about the malt bill, but i don't see or have much difference with so many hop additions within 5 mins of each other. to me it seems kind of half assed. my most recent ipas have had more success with either a massive 20, 15 (and more recently 10) min addition and then a solid 5, 1 or 0 min addition respectively.
Even with the recent success of my Black IPA and the hop schedule that I advised on above, Im now heading for only 2 kettle additions on an IPA planned* @ 60m/50%ibu & 10m/50%ibu additions and dry hopped only to see how that compares with the recent schedule of 15m,10m & 5m.

*New Year Gold IPA is on the back burner...maybe next year

Even with the recent success of my Black IPA and the hop schedule that I advised on above, Im now heading for only 2 kettle additions on an IPA planned* @ 60m/50%ibu & 10m/50%ibu additions and dry hopped only to see how that compares with the recent schedule of 15m,10m & 5m.

*New Year Gold IPA is on the back burner...maybe next year

i would expect a bigger flavour and aroma hit, and it can save on hops. you can throw them all in at 15 too but after my 10 min experience, i just kept it haha. hopefully it works mate. if i was to do a 15, 10 and 5 addition, i'd probably just do a dogfishead ipa thing; adding them continually every minute for 60 or 90 mins

The question now is, what will JB do?

sorry pratty. reading over what i wrote, i sound like a know-it-all prat. didn't mean any offense with my stupid statements of timing and hops. i should have stated they were my experience with that timing. also what works for me might not work for others. apologies.

i'd be interested to know how you did go with your ipa all the same, once it gets done :)

Its all good Fletcher. B)

I think that the late additions are open for option. All at one time or some at various times, your exactly right, its is what works for you.

Hopefully JB makes a IPA with several late additions and then trys a single addition at 10 or whatever minutes to create that lovely IPA taste we enjoy all so much.

I just had a Bear Republic Racer #5......... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Its all good Fletcher. B)

I think that the late additions are open for option. All at one time or some at various times, your exactly right, its is what works for you.

Hopefully JB makes a IPA with several late additions and then trys a single addition at 10 or whatever minutes to create that lovely IPA taste we enjoy all so much.

I just had a Bear Republic Racer #5......... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

love racer 5!! if you ever get a chance, try 21st amendment's 'brew free or die' IPA. apart from pliny, it's my absolute favourite american ipa.

keen to hear how yours turns out JB. let us know mate

Gday guys, I put the brew on yesterday & went with:

[SIZE=9pt]5.6kg Pale Ale Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt].25kg Caraamber[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]0.5kg Wheat Malt[/SIZE]
---------------------------
[SIZE=9pt]25g Warrior @ 60mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]40g [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Centennial[/SIZE] @ 10mins

[SIZE=9pt]25g Amarillo @ 10mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]25g Citra[/SIZE] @ 10mins
[SIZE=9pt]25g Galaxy[/SIZE] @ 10mins

& will dry hop the same just without the Galaxy on Saturday. My next one I'll make the the same recipe just with the multiple additions.

Just posting to keep track. Looks pretty good.

Hey Pratty, just the single step @ 66

man I need to get my IPA brewed. your recipe made me anxious to make mine!! looks nice mate

Latest posts

Back