Adding up the costs of brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a bit more than that, $45.44 per litre for packages under 48 litres.

I don't see the need to justify it.

You don't justify the cost of fishing gear against the cost of buying fish.
(which for me is probably a good thing)

Mr Wibble said:
I don't see the need to justify it.

You don't justify the cost of fishing gear against the cost of buying fish.
(which for me is probably a good thing)
Totally agree, i treat brewing as a hobby regardless of the costs really. Some people go and buy an old commodore, spend $15,000+ on wheels, paint job, engine modifications blablabla but at the end of the day its still a commodore. Yet to the individual they don't feel the need to justify it because its their hobby etc etc. Everyone's perception of 'value' is different.

But cmon, its beer. All grain brewing with a nice keg setup to go with it... It's always gonna be worth it :super:

I think home brewing can be an addiction and I am pretty sure it is cheaper than heroin or cocaine, so it's way cheaper.
And comparing a fresh beer from your keg or bottle to a commercial beer that sells well in Australia is like comparing a fish and chip shop burger with the lot to a McDonalds laxative (big mac).
Even the beers I brew that I think need improving are volumes better than VB.

Speaking of volumes, maybe i need to banish this IPA i'm drinking cause I was certain i just read 'Comparing a fresh fish from your keg to a commercial beer' haha

I don't drink a huge amount so I don't buy in bulk and rarely farm yeast so my brew ingredients normally come in around $35-40 for 23L of finished beer, that normally gives me around 60 stubbies depending on how much I spill so worst case $16 a slab, at craft beer going for around $60+ a slab I'm $110 ahead each brew. I BIAB and I'd guess my setup was ~$600 with all the bits so I paid that off over 6 brews.

However.... if you really want to cost it out you need to look at your time, it takes say 1 hour to plan a brew and order ingredients (actually it takes about 3 days but that's just because I love pontificating about recipes etc), about 5 hours to brew and 2 hours to bottle (I really need to start kegging) so with $110 remaining it means I'm brewing for $13.75/hour. What's the minimum adult wage these days?

But... I work a salaried job so there is no question of me working extra hours to pay for beer, if I could work overtime you could argue that depending on your pay rate you'd be better off doing that and then buying beer. This is where the hobby aspect comes in and to be fair half my time on brew day is spent playing with the kids or doing something else around the house whilst I wait for things to happen, I'm happy to do that for $13.75/hour :)

I have a $20 a week brewing budget, all ingredients, equipment and sample craft beers come out of that.....
last year..52 weeks $1020......brewed 14 batches = $72 a batch.
I easily spent $600 on craft beer.

If I didnt brew I'd spend $20 a week on a sixer of some sort.
That means I get 8 cartons each year for no cost and get to drink some awesome and different beers as I go.

I don't think about it because I don't care.
I make beer, I drink beer.
Its all good.

itmechanic said:
Its a bit more than that, $45.44 per litre for packages under 48 litres.

This is outrageous!!! Seriously needs reform... Pollies just pocket the dosh and do what exactly?!?! SWEET FA!!!

maxim0200 said:
Yep Correct for over 3.5% Alcohol and for those who want to know more:http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?Docid=PAC%2FBL030002%2F1&PiT=99991231235958 The screwed part is that cider is taxed way more:"Other excisable beverages not exceeding 10% by volume of alcohol @ $76.98 per litre of alcohol"
Nope, cider is classed as a fruit wine and falls under the wine equalisation tax. The page is down right now so I can't get the link to the exact amount but it is actually based on the sale price rather than the absolute volume of alcohol. Cider makers generally pay way less excise.

^^^ This is why we have a glut of alcopop "ciders" on the market.

I once heard homebrewing is the most expensive way to make cheap beer.

For me its all about mastering the craft, making good beer and getting away from the wife and kids once in a while - costs dont even come into the equation (well they do but not in comparison to buying commercial beer)

If you like to drink regularly, most nights a few glasses, then really you are mad not to make your own booze. Extract brews are still better than most industrial beers and a hell of a lot cheaper. I grow a lot of apples for cider, there are a lot of costs involved with equipment but it still costs well under $1.00/Litre, much better cider than at Dan's. Even making your own wine is quite cheap, though a lot of patience is needed.
I like to make my own food, bread pasta etc, grow my own vegies, it's all good, home brewing is just an extension of that.

Regarding excise there are 2 classes of cider, flavoured ciders are classed as alcopop, non flavoured cider classed as wine. I think they should class sugar as a flavouring.

I once heard homebrewing is the most expensive way to make cheap beer.

Think the situation in Australia is pretty much the reverse. The cheapest way to make expensive beer.

I have a lot of brews at home. I'd like to share more with friends but it would also be nice for them to help contribute to the cost. But to do that I'd need to know in more detail the costs of my brewing. I'll work it out some time.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Accountant and brewer here.

I brew to save money on excellent beer.

It's probably why I ended up going ghetto ans cheap. Amortising the cost of my two pots and the lauter over one batch of beer is cheaper than mainstream craft, let alone over the life of the items' use.

Excise is the big killer for commercial beers.
But you have to brew to be a cheap arse accountant. Going 2 months without a brew day, and buying Vale is not cost effective :lol:
LB

LagerBomb said:
But you have to brew to be a cheap arse accountant. Going 2 months without a brew day, and buying Vale is not cost effective :lol:
LB
It's getting closer to 5 months. Just can't seem to find the time for it.

But yep, Vale is not cost effective, especially given the missus loves it and is feeling like beer at the moment.

Oh well. Got some grain ground, and then..... I get sick. So yesterday was cancelled. Hopefully this weekend.

Should just drag it to your place and whack through double or triple batches.

I've never bothered to add it all up. I supposed I've got a couple of grand's worth of equipment if you include the keg fridge and I spend around $70 a month on brewing supplies spread across the year.

But as others have said, it's my hobby too and I can't put a price on the enjoyment I get out of crafting my own quality beers which I then get to drink and share with friends and family.

Back