Adding Old Yeast To Hot Liquor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt white

Reaction score
My lhbs owner gave me some packets of out of date yeast and told me to add one to the boil as it would provide nutrients for the fresh yeast to be pitched after cooling. Not that I dont believe him, but I was just wondering if this is the case and has anybody else heard of this or done it.

I tried it on my weekends EPA and yes, the fresh Platinum Nottingham Ale yeast starter went mad, nut not measurably madder than usual.

Any thoughts?

Gil

He speaks the truth..

In fact there was a thread on this topic yesterday...

Yep, thats where most of my coopers dried yeast goes

Our brethren in the alcohol-producing craft we do not name are always on the lookout for yeast nutrient when making their 'washes' and they use a lot of dead yeast which they buy in the form of 'yeast hulls' - does the job fine.

Does it matter what yeast you chuck in the boil? (ie, a lager yeast into an Ale and etc etc)
Or does it do the same job regardless?

Does it matter what yeast you chuck in the boil? (ie, a lager yeast into an Ale and etc etc)
Or does it do the same job regardless?

It doesn't make a difference, you could use bread yeast if you wanted

Done it plenty of times. I think palmer may have even mentioned it in how to brew (needs clarifiaction)

Cant say I have noticed that it improved my beer to any level.

But it certainly didn't harm it.

Back