Quantcast

Adding Fruit Pulp, Vanilla Beans To Primary

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Choos

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I started brewing not that long ago it seemed in vogue to rack mid fermentation which lined up nicely with the information I have for adding berries etc to the secondary then racking off a few days later to a cold conditioning vessel (leaving the gunk behind.)

Now when I read different things it seems fermenting out in the primary is the go followed by racking to the cold conditioning vessel to avoid stuck fermenters and oxydisation.

What I am wondering is the validity of adding either vanilla beans or tinned berries (fresh stuffs to expensive) to my primary 5 or more days into fermentation then when finished racking off to the cold conditioning vessel?

Reason for doing this is I read intial primary fermentation is likely to thoroughly burn out the bulk of the flavours.

Any tips, tricks or general feedbacks appreciated!

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Choos

Done this with my Merry Berry.
Rack as normal - then add fruit.
This will kick off fermentation again.

Leave for 10 days...Rack into tertiary - dry hop.

Note that you can steam/blanch the fruit first for sterlisation.

Hope this helps

J

Jovial_Monk

a small amount of raspberry will add more fruitiness to a blander fruit like black cherries,blue berries

leave fruit at least two weeks, so add fruit in secondary

Next time I make a kriek I will leave the cherries in the secondary (corny keg) for 12 months

Vanilla is just one spice that can be added to beer: coriander, mace, cloves, cardomom, one or two sta anise, pepper corns and/or grains of paradise, ginger, chillie etc. Add this to a bigger beer so the spicyness has time to mellow

Jovial Monk

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
I added a tin (330g) of raspberries to my Belgian dubbel in secondary and it turned out beautifully. It wasn't a "big" beer (only 6.5%) but the fruit was well in balance with the hops and malt. A great after dinner beer. I didn't sterilise the fruit, as it was already in a sterile can, but I did sanirise the outside of the can first, with rubbing alcohol.

- Snow.

Latest posts