Acceptable Sales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
punkin said:
This is a good point and a fair question. As someone in a business that sells stuff for a fraction of what the market will pay, but using a fair profit margin rather than setting my prices just under other retailers i understand the dillema.

attachicon.gif
silicongasket1.JPG

attachicon.gif
silicongasket2.JPG

I could sell this for $10 and sell just as many, If you need it you need it, thrash the competition still but would i be offering the best value to my customers?

I think that if you got a real bargain and both people walked away feeling happy then you have some kind of responsibility to pass that on.
Say you paid ten bucks for something that would have cost you $100 retail of $50 second hand. The seller was what?
Stupid?
Menatlly handicapped?
A real nice guy who didn't need the money?
Someone who wanted to see someone else happy and was passing on good karma to a fellow human? Was this.

In any case, i have seen plenty of people here pass that price (often free) along to others saying that's all they'd paid for it and out and out saying that they were passing the karma along.

If you were to sell it for $15, you lost no money on the sale, covered your fuel to go and get it and generally passed the spirit on. If you sell it for $50 just cause someone will pay that then you missed the point of the guy giving it to you cheap in the first place. Yes that is my take on it as well.
Also if I was to post them on ebay because I thought it disrespected the member that sold them to me, I would feel bad that I did not offer them to another member here.

I often wonder about the phsyc of the average buyer. Take sugar. There is a mill close to me that packages the sugar in retail packs for various retailers like Coles, Woolies, Aldi, Black & Gold etc. Its all packed by the same machine from the same source.

Now go to the shop and have a look at the retail prices. Do you buy the cheap one or the more exy one. Why do people buy the expensive one.. ?Obviously with the exy one someone is making more.... But those who buy it dont seem to care

GrumpyPaul said:
[SIZE=10.5pt]mmm - I generally prefer to restrict my comments o smartarse cynicism.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]But on the question of reselling at a higher price - I say go for it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I too am a tight arse. If I am lucky enough to get a bargain and can make a few bucks reselling then good for me. I picked up a march pump at a flea market for $15 - if I resell it am I a bad person if I try to sell it for what its worth?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]To me that’s just the way life is - it's a business transaction. Some people don’t mind offloading stuff they don’t want any more cheaply or even give it away. (maybe they get good karma). Others like to make a buck or come out even.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]At the end of the day the buyer pays what they are prepared to pay.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]On the topic of discussing moderation....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Is it just me or is it a bit ironic that this thread is being taken off topic with discussion on moderation, by moderators - so in theory they should be moderating themselves (and others) for taking this thread OT??[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Would it be wrong to start a thread about moderation so that discussion can happen and there can be some open dialogue about the moderation policy. This may even help inform the moderating teams policy in a way that is based on the desires of this so called community (this is a genuine question – believe it or not)[/SIZE]
On the topic of onselling, I feel bought at the markets is fine, but from another forum member is pushing it IMO.

On the topic of moderation, lets not it just gets personal and would end bad. We (the mod team) as a group are discusiing this in the background.

bradsbrew said:
On the topic of onselling, I feel bought at the markets is fine, but from another forum member is pushing it IMO.
Whats the difference - whilst i have some "friends" on here. The vast majority I have no greater realtationship than the seller at the market.

bum said:
I'm sure Yob would be more than happy to sell you his used hops at those rates.
I'll take everything he has after he has dry hopped with em, surely a tightarse like me could still get some oil extraction outta them.

GrumpyPaul said:
Whats the difference - whilst i have some "friends" on here. The vast majority I have no greater realtationship than the seller at the market.
More a sharing the love moment I guess.

I think something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

As long as everything is legal and above board it should not concern anyone what the seller has paid for it.

If you personally have some moral dilemma about selling something on here or anywhere else for more than you paid for it, then don't.

And I don't think you should try and force someone to share the love.

pcmfisher said:
I think something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

As long as everything is legal and above board it should not concern anyone what the seller has paid for it.

If you personally have some moral dilemma about selling something on here or anywhere else for more than you paid for it, then don't.

And I don't think you should try and force someone to share the love.
Fully agreepcmfisher.

Take motor vehicles for example.....GT Falcons, Monaro's and most collector cars are many times the price that they were new, but people line up to buy 'em.

I bought a 1946 Ford Club Coupe many years ago from a bloke in Sydney

He imported it and paid $3000 plus import costs. I know this because I saw it advertised
I paid him $5000 because I didn't want to go and source one myself and then go through customs etc to get it into the country.

bradsbrew said:
On the topic of moderation, lets not it just gets personal and would end bad. We (the mod team) as a group are discusiing this in the background.

That's exactly the reason you should be seeking the input of the regular users here. After all the place is here for the users, not the moderators.

Seek input, absorb that input, control that input so it does not get personal and then make up your own minds.

On the topic, I lean towards caveat emptor, but what's right and what's palatable don't always coincide. In terms of the sale thread that precipitated this, it does seem strange that the seller is expecting to on-sell a second hand item (that isn't a classic car) for the same amount he paid and personally, I wouldn't buy it.

BUT, if anyone is happy to shell out that kind of cash without researching what it would cost them to buy the item new, then they probably have plenty to throw away.

I will also say that many sales on this forum do seem to be made with the kind of altruism Yob is talking about, and he clearly contributes to that in spades. The sale being discussed doesn't, but then it doesn't have to.

my view on the whole thing.

sellers should charge whatever they want to, you dont need to buy it. Sellers found to be profiteering from the public will be found out.

HOWEVER, i think it is perfectly acceptable to call them out if you think they are ripping people off and that you dont think it is a bargain. (equally so, commenting that it is a bargain)

In the words of Darryl Kerrigan --- Tell him he's dreaming!

Some people just pull the same shit over and over again.

Others here I see lay it out and get on with it. Old story.

I bought a bit of brewing gear recently because I was starting fresh and then ended up not requiring most of it. I passed it on. Charged about the same as I paid from memory because I got good deals. Realised later I'd inadvertently charged one bloke 5 bucks more than it cost me. Oops. Another offer of sale I'd actually accidentally quoted 5 bucks a piece less than what the things cost me. Ef it. That's what it was worth to me when I posted it. If someone here want to start making a profit off purchases might as well identify yourself as a retailer and stop hiding in member's clothes.

practicalfool said:
Some people just pull the same shit over and over again.
yup and we know who they are.

in fact if I see a tread from a usual suspect of this regard, i make sure to frequent it to enjoy the laughs when they are called out for trying to rip people off :)

swings and round abouts, I think had 'that guy' been open from the start about costs etc, much of the ensuing degeneration 'along that line' would have been negated.. I guess to some degree it's the level of transparency that the forum finds a bit offensive..

anyone remember that guy last year about this time..

I came across this website, offering a keg.. blah blah.. It quickly got discovered it was his site and degenerated into 6 pages of slanging.. if the guy had been transparent, it would have been a different story..

Honesty here is most certainly the best policy.. and thats a good thing..

ed: even 'perceived dishonesty' here is a cancer..

Goddam whinging bitches. Is a large majourity of members here from England? Nothing better to do than moan and bitch over spilt milk. It is not your website. You do not own it. You use it for free with your own free will (apart from those sucked in and paid $20.00, kinda not free for you). There is a mob mentality here and it's not pretty. Usual suspects that bitch and moan usually come from the mob. Most 'mob members' suffer from Dunning-Kruger effect I am sure.

If someone is stupid enough to not do their homework before buying something then bad luck for them for being lazy.

Some mods need to learn how to be effective mods and not escalate matters by being obtuse with their 'powers'.

Now deep breath, and onto the next scandle which is just around the corner.........

Latest posts

Back