Acceptable Sales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
He has as much right to post in this discussion as anyone else and his question has merit in any case.
I know he does. I'm just saying that there's not much point in actling like that this thread has nothing to do with the other one.

krausenhaus said:
Not to mention bradsbrew himself is only posting in here to justify the position he took in said thread.
Sorry, but there was nothing wrong with his position in that thread. You attacked the OP.

Might not have meant to sound like an attack but it read like one.

bum said:
Yob has very clearly framed this discussion in the context of that thread. Even mentioned he'd make this thread in that thread.
Yes it was an extension of that context

No clue why you quoted me then.

But that's fine, I guess. Discussion being unwelcome and all.

bradsbrew said:
What peoples veiws on this scenario,

Lets say I purchased some stuff off a local member of the forum say 12 months ago. I only bought the gear because it was a bargain and I may use it at some point. I now want to sell it because I am not going to use it, but I beleive it is worth at least twice what I paid for it. Is it wrong of me to try and sell it at double my purchase price knowing that that is still a good price. And does it make it better or worse if I just do it via ebay.
I think it comes down to you in this instance. I know I feel bad when making money like that but I also price my second hand stuff according to condition, new price etc.

At the end of the day people will pay what they feel is right.

The issue is the mud slinging that ensured.

As a comparison, the williamswarm thread had much the same thing, but it didn't degenerate (as a rule) into nastiness.

It's not the opinions that are moderated, it's either the manner in which they're expressed or the off-topic stuff.

And all Brad has done here, is repost yob's question (quite legitimate) in a more succinct manner.

I'll add in my opinion - I reckon it's okay. If you're buying from tradingpost, ebay or anything else, it's caveat emptor. Same applies here.

The fact that the audience has the knowledge to say "it's too much" - again, no issue.

But how you go about it - think about how you'd do it in real life. Unless you're entirely unreasonable, you won't abuse a retailer, you'll say to him "that's too much, I think I'll buy somewhere else" and that's it. Same as what I did at the markets in Hong Kong. Context is everything.

krausenhaus said:
Just to be clear, you do know that I didn't just make it up, right?
Yes I do, you contacted the manufacturer, he gave you a line which was shown to be dishonest with the invoice pic. That does not make the post you made correct, it is still wrong information that you posted.

krausenhaus said:
I know he does. I'm just saying that there's not much point in actling like that this thread has nothing to do with the other one.
I wasn't, it was a genuine question on a relative matter to this thread.

bradsbrew said:
Yes I do, you contacted the manufacturer, he gave you a line which was shown to be dishonest with the invoice pic. That does not make the post you made correct, it is still wrong information that you posted.
The moderation and arguments began long before the information was shown to be false, so that's not why you got involved. Anyway, we've spoken about this privately and I'm leaving it alone now.

So everyone understands, I bought some stuff really cheap, IMO, I am not going to use all of it. I feel bad selling it on here for more than I payed but wont sell it for what I paid because I am a tightarse. Would it then be ok to sell it on ebay or just as bad if not worse?

krausenhaus said:
The moderation and arguments began long before the information was shown to be false, so that's not why you got involved. Anyway, we've spoken about this privately and I'm leaving it alone now.
Yes because you gave no true evidence of what you were saying.

bradsbrew said:
So everyone understands, I bought some stuff really cheap, IMO, I am not going to use all of it. I feel bad selling it on here for more than I payed but wont sell it for what I paid because I am a tightarse. Would it then be ok to sell it on ebay or just as bad if not worse?
If you're still selling it cheaper than retail then there is no issue (i.e. still a secondhand appropriate price).

I'm obviously going to think that selling on eBay is obviously going to be fine too. Had I thought selling higher than was paid would be wrong (as your questions assumes), it would be fine on eBay if the sale was an auction, not fine if Buy It Now, etc.

[EDIT: added quote]

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
But how you go about it - think about how you'd do it in real life.
What a lot of people don't realise is you don't get human expressions or nuances across in a forum post. In real life you can read a cheeky grin or sarcastic smile but often these get lost in text.

In real life krausenhaus probably would have just gone "fark mate, didn't you only pay $xxx for that last week" and vittorio would have said "mate the conversion rate and shipping killed me". Then they would have gone on about their business.

bradsbrew said:
Yes because you gave no true evidence of what you were saying.
Looks like you're going to have a lot of work on your hands if this is the official position...

Just sayin'.

Yob said:
Recently there has been a bit of... colour on some threads about on selling brewing equipment.. my analogy was this... (since removed)

If I bought a bag of grain from Germany and bought it a seat on the plane (cattle class of course) then got a taxi for it from the airpost to my house and subsequently decided to "to hell with pilsners, I dinne want it no more"

Can I expect to recover those costs and ask +2k for the bag of malt? The fact that it will not make better beer than a bag I buy down the road is a decision I should make well before handing over my coin to begin with.

Me? Im going to try and continue to give stufff away where I can, It keeps me out of that sort of shit fight it seems..
Thats it Hops for everyone at cost price ;) maybe even cheaper lol, i'll take 1KG of everything ;)

Fents said:
Thats it Hops for everyone at cost price ;) maybe even cheaper lol, i'll take 1KG of everything ;)
I'm sure Yob would be more than happy to sell you his used hops at those rates.

bradsbrew said:
If you're selling it cheaper than the retail price, be it ebay, AHB or gumtree, then I have no issue with that. You make a profit and I get it cheaper than retail. That's a win-win.

If you're selling it at more than the retail price, you make a profit and I lose out. Yes, the onus was on me to do some research before buying, but I appreciate it when someone saves me the time and alerts me to where I can get it cheaper. I'd hope to do the same for someone else if they were in the same position.

bradsbrew said:

This is a good point and a fair question. As someone in a business that sells stuff for a fraction of what the market will pay, but using a fair profit margin rather than setting my prices just under other retailers i understand the dillema.

silicongasket1.JPG

silicongasket2.JPG

I could sell this for $10 and sell just as many, If you need it you need it, thrash the competition still but would i be offering the best value to my customers?

I think that if you got a real bargain and both people walked away feeling happy then you have some kind of responsibility to pass that on.
Say you paid ten bucks for something that would have cost you $100 retail of $50 second hand. The seller was what?
Stupid?
Menatlly handicapped?
A real nice guy who didn't need the money?
Someone who wanted to see someone else happy and was passing on good karma to a fellow human?

In any case, i have seen plenty of people here pass that price (often free) along to others saying that's all they'd paid for it and out and out saying that they were passing the karma along.

If you were to sell it for $15, you lost no money on the sale, covered your fuel to go and get it and generally passed the spirit on. If you sell it for $50 just cause someone will pay that then you missed the point of the guy giving it to you cheap in the first place.

[SIZE=10.5pt]mmm - I generally prefer to restrict my comments o smartarse cynicism.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]But on the question of reselling at a higher price - I say go for it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I too am a tight arse. If I am lucky enough to get a bargain and can make a few bucks reselling then good for me. I picked up a march pump at a flea market for $15 - if I resell it am I a bad person if I try to sell it for what its worth?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]To me that’s just the way life is - it's a business transaction. Some people don’t mind offloading stuff they don’t want any more cheaply or even give it away. (maybe they get good karma). Others like to make a buck or come out even.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]At the end of the day the buyer pays what they are prepared to pay.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]On the topic of discussing moderation....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Is it just me or is it a bit ironic that this thread is being taken off topic with discussion on moderation, by moderators - so in theory they should be moderating themselves (and others) for taking this thread OT??[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Would it be wrong to start a thread about moderation so that discussion can happen and there can be some open dialogue about the moderation policy. This may even help inform the moderating teams policy in a way that is based on the desires of this so called community (this is a genuine question – believe it or not)[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back